General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Anchorman 2 averages out to being good. Starts out really fun and then it starts to drag a little and then it gets amusing and then it starts to drag and then all hell breaks loose and then it starts to drag and then it ends.

I could have done with slightly more Champ and slightly less Brick. The balance wasn't quite right and David Koechner was absolutely killing it so I wanted more of him. The levels of Brian Fantana were perfect, though.

Anchorman 2 averages out to being good. Starts out really fun and then it starts to drag a little and then it gets amusing and then it starts to drag and then all hell breaks loose and then it starts to drag and then it ends.

I could have done with slightly more Champ and slightly less Brick. The balance wasn't quite right and David Koechner was absolutely killing it so I wanted more of him. The levels of Brian Fantana were perfect, though.

Brick was always going to have massive amounts of screen time due to the popularity of him and the rise of Steve Carrell, to be fair. I'm just glad to hear it's good, though. It was way more likely to be terrible.

GoGo and I are mindmelding. :o

American Hustle is Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jeremy Renner playing a really, really good game of Fiasco.

Renner's roll wasn't great. Cooper's roll was worse.

• Like 1

Holy shit Wolf of Wall Street is some raunchy shit. Like, I was expecting plenty of partying and shit but Jesus Christ. It probably should've gotten the NC-17 tag. A few of the older people in the theater walked out in the first 30 minutes. Aside from that, I was a little disappointed with it honestly. A lot of the uneccessary bullshit in the first 90 minutes could've easily been trimmed and still gotten its point across. Second half was much better, but it didn't come close to my expectations. Leo plays a helluva scumbag, though.

I mean, it wasn't bad, nor was I offended by the content. I do think the marketing was a bit deceptive, and it definitely did not come close to my high expectations for it. The second half was pretty good, and I definitely felt the message of the movie at the end. The acting is pretty top notch as well, but it felt like a case of the parts being greater than their sum. Without giving anything major away, my major gripe with this movie is...

The first 90 minutes is just party after fucking party and tit shots after tit shots. I get it, the guy was crazy, but it felt like overkill. A lot of those scenes didn't add a thing to the movie and just further bloated the already lengthy run-time. I found myself anxious for the bullshit to get over with so it could get to the actual story

Definitely go see it for yourself and let me know what you think.

Doesn't Scorsese always do super raunchy stuff, though?

Yes, but this one is one of the hardest 'R' ratings I've seen. I felt like I was watching a late-night CineMax skin flick at times. The frustrating part is that quite a bit of it could've been cut to make a better flowing movie. Still worth seeing for Leo's fantastic performance, though.

Yeah. I don't think it's quite as "bad" as HC says in terms of graphic scenes. Honestly, you see more graphic nudity on Game of Thrones. Nothing near a CineMax skin flick. Though, there are a few bits of full frontal nudity, and a fake exposed boner.

It honestly felt worse because I saw this with my mother. :P

And my problem was more with the volume of the sex and nudity taking up screen time than it actually being graphic. Apparently there was some more graphic stuff that had to be cut to avoid the NC-17 rating. I might just get the "unrated" version on DVD out of morbid curiosity.

I thought Wolf of Wall Street was really really good but a little too long. You could cut like twenty minutes off it easy.

Inside Llewyn Davis on Tuesday or Wednesday will cap off a solid week of seeing movies that are going to feature high in my top ten for the movie countdown thing.