2011/2012 UEFA Champions League

Starvinho

My Spanish is mediocre at best, but I tend to assume that 'golgolgolgolgolgolgolgolgolgooooooooooooooool!' means they're chuffed. You really don't need to speak the language to gauge a commentators approval of events.

Edited by Colly

Because all commentators, including English will support their own countries team. Sadly I don't remember the Italian equivalent, but that changes nothing at all.

Well, if I was Spanish/Italian, I'd complain about that too. I can accept a little bias but shit like the Five commentator almost having an orgasm when Man Utd got a penalty and Townsend commenting on Drogba's diving with "he's brilliant at doing that, making the most of the slightest of contact" is annoying. I'd expect that if I was watching MUTV or Chelsea TV but on national TV, they should at least try and be a little impartial.

Though it's not as annoying as them just being fucking retarded about shit, such as being completely baffled by a side playing a formation that isn't 442 or 451/433 or my personal favourite "he's won the league title at every club he's been at for the last 8 seasons but I've never thought he was particularly good".

• Like 1

Was about to say, they react like that no matter who scores. If it's Buenos Aires vs Manchester United and United score, then the reaction will still be to yell "GOAL!" in an elongated and frenzied fashion.

Matt is bang on, commentators are not hired to support the English side just because they're playing a foreign team. I don't wish to watch a match in which the people commentating on it are blatantly rooting for one side. Whether my side is involved or not, I want an unbiased, impartial view and I didn't get that tonight, and I certainly didn't get it last week from the Channel 5 commentators. I don't think it's asking too much to want them to remain on the fence for the game.

You see that rectangular thing made of plastic? The one with the rubber buttons? Yeah there's a button on there called mute. If you don't like the commentators then press it.

And are people really surprised that this is happening? it's been going on for decades (see: Munich-United 1999 final moments, and of course this)

I just think that even setting aside the fact that ITV, Channel 5 et al are making tv for a British audience, expecting to get neutral commentary from commentators who aren't neutral is a big ask. I'm not usually arsed about other teams but even I cheered through Liverpools Champions League run, particularly Gerrards screamer against Olympiacos(?). Granted I'm someone who'll often not bother about commentary at all, and most of my footie watching is either live or the completely neutral English commentary of foreign games on ESPN (Skys Barca wank notwithstanding), so maybe I just don't see enough to bother me.

Regards Spanish commentary though, they go mental for everything domestically, but they certainly wouldn't had that Chelsea winner been against Madrid last night.

Domestic bias in league games does annoy me though, no way should Wilkins be doing Chelsea games, Neville doing Man Utd (though he's not too bad) or Lawro doing, well, anything because he's a twat. Or worse, Shearer being so neutral he's actually anti Newcastle these days...