Cricket!

nabeel

We're losing to BazBall in our heads here. We're not playing to beat England, we're playing to oppose bazball.

Moeen Ali is looking like he'll be a matchwinner this test. Unfortunately, right now he looks like our only hope.

It's pretty even at the moment, but I'd expect Australia to be ahead by lunch tomorrow. The chances England have wasted today are going to be a big deal.

It's perhaps worth noting that Stokes is in terrible form with the bat and is bowling 10mph slower than he did at his pomp, at this point he may only be in the side for his leadership.

Usman has hird it all before.. It's the are both tossers.

Scott Boland could make 30, as a nightwatchman... perhaps 40...he does bat a long time.. he can bat out nearly anything.. 

Ater a long time of hiding behind a straight bat and not trying to chase it, Australia have realised that they need to do something rather than wait for us to get them out, started hitting it around a bit and for the first time all day started to look like they could win this.

Hell of a test. I have a collection of thoughts.

Ollie Robinson, despite taking some wickets, had very little impact, except with his mouth. No issue with what he said in the media, but funny that our 8-11 outscored England's, if my maths is correct. No issue with the send-off either - just seemed a bit odd after Khawaja's just topscored. Contrast OR to Jimmy who I thought had tremendous impact despite a lack of wickets.

Moeen did yeoman's work coming in completely cold and bowling that many overs, despite the onset of the injury. 

I thought the declaration was a good call. I was convinced Warner would go in those 20 mins.

England should do well. Would like to see more from Pope and Brook, the latter of which seemed to be not much more good than a hit and a giggle. Root was immense, valuable with the ball too. Crawley did better in the first dig than I expected, haven't rated him but was a good knock.

Thought we bowled poorly in innings one, and Cummins had to take a heavy lead from Stokes in terms of captaining ingenuity.

All in all I don't take too much stock from the result. Should still be a belter of a series and honestly English weather is the only thing that could hold it back.

• Like 1

Robinson reminds me of so many cricketers I've met through the years, mainly fast bowlers, who have everything to say when things are going their way, and then when they're not doing as well they double-down by insulting people. Typical bully really, and he didn't exactly do much to cement his place in the team.  I'd have no issue if he gets dropped for Wood (or the far superior Woakes) for the next test.

• Admin

Leicestershire leg-spinner Rehan Ahmed has been added to the England men's squad for the second Ashes Test. Ahmed, 18, marked his Test debut with seven wickets against Pakistan in Karachi last winter. He has been called up as cover for spinning all-rounder Moeen Ali, who struggled with a finger injury during the dramatic first Test, which Australia won by two wickets.

The second Test starts at Lord's on Wednesday, 28th June.

I have to think it'll end in a draw, both sides have much better batting than bowling.

With the greatest respect to someone likely doing it for the first time, Katherine Sciver-Brunt is one of the worst commentators TMS have ever had. Whilst it's fun to have someone commentate on their wife batting, pretending to be sick every time she faces a ball is really off-putting.

• Admin

England have included Josh Tongue in an all-pace attack for the second Ashes Test against Australia.

Tongue, 25, comes in as the only change from the team that lost the first Test at Edgbaston to replace off-spinner Moeen Ali.

Moeen was a doubt with a cut to his spinning finger, but bowled in the nets on Monday and was fit to play.

Tongue made his Test debut against Ireland at Lord's earlier this month, taking 5-66 in the second innings.

He is preferred to Mark Wood, who was felt to need another week to be fully match fit - the third Test is at Headingley on 6 July.

Without Moeen, responsibility for spin will fall to Joe Root, who took one wicket with his off-breaks at Edgbaston.

In the second innings, Root actually bowled more overs than Moeen as the Warwickshire man nursed his finger.

Moeen, 36, came out of Test retirement to play in the Ashes after regular frontline spinner Jack Leach suffered a stress fracture in his back.

Leach had been ever present in the England team since Ben Stokes took over as captain at the beginning of last summer and this will be the first Test under Stokes that England have not fielded a frontline spinner.

England XI: Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Bairstow, Broad, Robinson, Tongue, Anderson.

Nothing against Tongue, but there's at least three seamers I'd pick ahead of him (four if Wood was fully fit), I've no idea what both Overton brothers and Chris Woakes have done wrong to get ignored.

With regards to the report that has been run into cricket, it's 100% correct. I stopped scoring because I got so fed up of the culture, be it the treatment and privacy of their own wives and girlfriends, the fact that teams are selected based on friendships rather than talent or form (maybe that answers the above question about the Overtons and Woakes) and that if you dare be any different then you will be the subject of abuse. I once got locked in a changing room until I downed a pint (I don't drink), but they weren't smart enough to realise I had a key. If that's what I get for something so minimal, I hate to think what any people of colour have to go through.

The sad thing is I don't think this will change anything. It feels like team sports are at the stage where this is so ingrained that it would be almost impossible to completely get rid of it.