Cricket!

nabeel

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, the T20 World Cup (yes, another one) has begun, kinda.

In any event, Scotland beat 2016 World Champions, the West Indies, which came off the back of Namibia defeating Sri Lanka on Day 1 of the comp. Zimbabwe have beaten the Netherlands (not Holland anymore in ICC terms), and Zimbabwe beat Ireland.

Edited by PantherFan22
Tag Fixing

Absolutely gutted for Toppers getting McGrathed before the tournament. Bloke has come back from the brink and was so happy he'd made himself a starter for the tournament for that to go and happen.

Aussies got a pasting, you do love to see it. New Zealand perennial dark horses. Had Aussies as favourites pre-tournament but with that loss they're really behind the 8 ball now. 

England's batting line up is gross. Curran and Woakes coming in at 8 and 9 with that top 7 is just obscene. Wood bowling rockets. 

Watch us lose to the Afghans here mind. 

The West Indies Cricket Board is a mess when it comes to the international sides, mainly its financial related with poor sponsorship deals resulting in players not getting paid. I expect they weren't even guaranteed to get paid for this tournament, so their lack of performance might have been impacted by that.

It didn't help that they left their best batsman at home after he missed his flight to Australia.

West Indian cricket is now almost entirely defined by their best players preferring to play franchise T20 cricket than play international cricket.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PantherFan22 said:

It's been a rubbish World T20.. Stupid weather. South Africa are gonna win it all.

South Africa v New Zealand final where somehow they both manage to choke, or it rains solid for 3 days and the final never takes place.

England giving off a sense of 2010 'peaking at the right time' with today's win. 

22 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Bangladesh have been screwed over today, there's no way they should have gone back out so quickly when the pitch was so wet.

I'm not saying it's because they're playing India, who would have lost if they didn't go back out, but y'know...

The balance of power in the game is just far too heavily skewed at the moment. It was bad enough with India/England/Australia being the dominant 3, but even England/Australia just don't have the pull the BCCI have. Financial interests dominating the sport, proved by the shambles that West Indian cricket has become. 

• Like 1

On 03/11/2022 at 21:10, JoeyJoeJoeShabadoo said:

The balance of power in the game is just far too heavily skewed at the moment. It was bad enough with India/England/Australia being the dominant 3, but even England/Australia just don't have the pull the BCCI have. Financial interests dominating the sport, proved by the shambles that West Indian cricket has become. 

It's really all about India nowadays, no doubting that... Look at the ICC T20 World Cup here. Name one Australian sponsor?

India gets there own little block for the IPL, which, in fairness, all T20 gets. Even the Australian rubbish. Our Sheffield Shield teams take like 8 weeks off for a hit and giggle league. Always thought that Sheffield Shield winners should play the County Cricket Champions, but hey, that's just me.

I'd love cricket to grow to Canada, the USA and various other countries, but Test Cricket should be the pinnicle. Beating the Poms in the Ashes, there is NOTHING better.. (Except maybe West Coast beating Collingwood.. but thats Aussie Rules).

January 27 to April should be for T20 leagues, and no League should go over 3 weeks, after all, it was meant to be the fastest format of cricket.

Afghanistan got close to beating Australia... so, so close..

Thank you Afghanistan, so very entertaining.. Welcome here all the time.. that middle order collapse was English.. save 2 wickets, Afghanistan would've won. Or maybe I'm taunting the Poms...

Chris2K, from memory bowled a bit of Leg Spin.. utmost respect for Leg Spinners... Hardest thing to bowl.. it hurts your shoulder after a while...

Chris2k used to enjoy cricket though... that may've been on EWB3 or EWB4... sorry.

Now... England just have to win... and Australia are rooted.

This should, and will be moved to the games part... Chris Toucay has signed with the Canberra Comets.. Victorians don't need him... So, South Australian?

Also... If I ever recognise France as a cricket nation... Yer captain. :D

Chris Toucay.. geddit, i should've asked that

10 wicket win. Absolute carnage, and the way the Indian players and fans are reacting is hilarious. The players just gave up, started arguing with each other and refusing to throw the ball back from the boundary, and the fans just left with six overs to go.

I don't like Alex Hales as a person but he sure showed what he can do on a cricket field.

On 04/11/2022 at 11:33, PantherFan22 said:

Chris2K, from memory bowled a bit of Leg Spin.. utmost respect for Leg Spinners... Hardest thing to bowl.. it hurts your shoulder after a while...

Chris2k used to enjoy cricket though... that may've been on EWB3 or EWB4... sorry.

I did indeed bowl leg spin, but gave up at 15 when I moved to adult cricket balls and my hands weren't big enough to get the necessary grip. I still enjoy cricket though, particularly on days like these...

Yeah that was monstrous. Absolute drubbing. Final on Sunday will be a much tighter game I feel. Thought we bowled well up top and through the middle, but India batting being so pedestrian made it easy to limit them. The fact Sharma post-match was talking about how the batting was fine and it was the bowling that's the problem should ring massive alarm bells for them. Feel they're handicapping themselves as none of their players can feature in global T20 tournaments, experience counts for everything. They're thoroughly unlikeable though, so makes it all the sweeter. 

Different proposition facing up to Shaheen on Sunday. Really hope that Wood can get fit in the next few days as he could really make the difference, especially at the MCG.