Cricket!

nabeel

Steve Smith is always going to be the captain in everything but the official title that he's banned from doing, the actual role of an Australian captain until Smith retires is just to go out for the toss and talk to the press.

I watched Chris Lynn's innings for the Brisbane Heat yesterday, the guy is as brutal a batsman as he is miserable.

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Steve Smith is always going to be the captain in everything but the official title that he's banned from doing, the actual role of an Australian captain until Smith retires is just to go out for the toss and talk to the press.

I watched Chris Lynn's innings for the Brisbane Heat yesterday, the guy is as brutal a batsman as he is miserable.

I still think Smith will be captain again, however he needs to improve his attitude. Bit before my time but he took being "Captain Grumpy" Allan Border to the next level. Need to be able to keep your frustrations in check a bit more as captain as all you do is dishearten the player who has made a mistake.

It amazes me after all the shoulder injuries Lynn has had he can still hit a ball that hard.

32 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I actually thought Smith was prohibited from ever being captain again, but it seems it was just a two year ban from leadership positions. So I am sure he will be captain the very first series after that ban ends.

Yeah I imagine Paine will stick around until then and then retire to make way for Alex Carey (assuming his form hasn't gone to crap as has been the usual for Australia's "future stars" recently).

One thing I do like from Paine's captaincy is that he has brought in a rule where DRS decisions are only to be discussed between himself and the bowler, with the man at point allowed to chime in with how high an LBW hit. He's had such a bad record with the DRS that it seems like a fairly smart thing to bring in.

• 4 months later...
On 04/10/2019 at 19:52, Chris2K said:

I haven't had the chance to mention this yet - this competition is ridiculous. Yes, we need a franchise based T20 system, but we don't need a whole new type of game to cover it.

That said, I do like a draft.

we don't need another T20 league... but if we must, then let's base in America... NYC, Miami, LA, Washington, Toronto, Calgary, Mexico City and Vancouver

i already hate toronto.. sorry..

each team would have to have a natural born canadian or american in there 11 - Yes Ian Holland would qualify for the United States 

Chris2K's idea... I have the teams, and I would take Calgary :P

;;\

• 1 month later...

The county cricket season is due to start on the 1st August, a full six weeks after the Premier League, despite cricket being probably the easiest team sports to adjust for social distancing due to it being completely non-contact and having far less players on the playing surface and less players in the squad in general.

I wish I had some idea of why the ECB have been so far behind in terms of getting things started, granted I'm all for taking extra precautions but this has all seemed very bizarre.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archer didn't play in this one though :(Y):. I think they'll go Anderson, Broad, Archer, Leach. It makes the batting very frail but Leach would be more effective against the many right-handed West Indians. Archer probably deserves another test off as punishment, but if nothing else he's rested.

The bigger issue though is if Stokes is going to be fit to bowl, if not then those four, or whichever four get picked, will have to do it by themselves.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Apparently we're getting pro cricket in South Florida and lol these crests

Rowdies colors aside Ft Lauderdale's is the least worst. Also I see the tradition of Miami teams pretending they represent the whole state even when other teams in the same league from Florida exist is alive and well.

Also: Apparently "Miami Spider-Man Yo-Yos" and "Morrisville Victorian London Muggers" were taken judging by those crests.

3 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Americans playing Cricket? How very droll.

Hey, we've got a proud Cricketing tradition, going back to Casey Jones in the original Ninja Turtles movie.

• 1 month later...