Cricket!

nabeel

• 3 weeks later...

Really happy New Zealand won the WTC, just a really well-balanced and constantly under-rated team who finally have a trophy to their name. 

Now if the ICC could just sort out the WTC scoring system to not make it quite so obvious they want a certain Asian country beginning with "I" to get to the final, that would be great.

@MadJackdammit, I specified Asian to take Ireland out of the equation!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Really happy New Zealand won the WTC, just a really well-balanced and constantly under-rated team who finally have a trophy to their name. 

Now if the ICC could just sort out the WTC scoring system to not make it quite so obvious they want a certain Asian country beginning with "I" to get to the final, that would be great.

@MadJackdammit, I specified Asian to take Ireland out of the equation!

Almost as stoked for NZ winning it as I would be for England. Have met/played with a few of the guys and they're just all round good blokes. Tom Blundell was our overseas for the 2012 and 2013 seasons so bloody marvellous to see how he's come on, and he was out there replacing Watling when he dislocated his finger so got a good piece of the action despite not making the final cut. First year he was over here we bowled plenty of overs of spin in tandem, now with Watling's retirement he's NZ's first choice keeper, amazing turnaround. 

Agreed the system needs tinkering, also feel like there needs to be a concerted effort to make sure the final venue is as neutral as possible. NZ always had the advantage with the final in England, though the only two venues I could imagine would have been neutral ground for the teams would have been the Windies and Australia. Any subcontinent or any of the other SENA countries apart from Oz was going to be one sided. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today was some very strong evidence that the ECB's lack of interest in developing test cricket has left England as one of the weakest test sides in the game. To lose a game inside a day where they were completely on top on the same day is beyond embarrassing.

Let's not forget that the test players' preparations for this series were to be forced to play in the Hundred, rather than any cricket that would help them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

Wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock made himself unavailable for South Africa's T20 World Cup match against West Indies after refusing to take the knee.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) issued a directive before the match that all players should make the gesture.

Captain Temba Bavuma said at the toss in Dubai that De Kock, 28, withdrew "for personal reasons".

CSA said later on Tuesday that they "noted the personal decision" of De Kock to not take the knee.

In a statement released during the game, CSA said it would "await a further report from team management before deciding on next steps".

De Kock has previously declined to take a knee.

He said in June: "My reason? I'll keep it to myself. It's my own, personal opinion.

"It's everyone's decision; no-one's forced to do anything, not in life. That's the way I see things."

The CSA statement read: "All players are expected to follow this directive for the remaining games of the World Cup.

"After considering all relevant issues, including the freedom of choice of players, the board had made it clear it was imperative for the team to be seen taking a stand against racism, especially given SA's history."

CSA said in November that players had three options to show their support for social equality: kneeling, raising a fist or standing to attention.

De Kock stood with his hands behind his back during the show of solidarity during the limited-overs series against West Indies in July.

Some South Africa players - but not all - took the knee before the defeat by Australia in their T20 World Cup opener Saturday, when De Kock scored seven.

CSA said on Tuesday that it was important for the team to take "a united and consistent stand against racism".

"Concerns were raised that the different postures taken by team members in support of the BLM initiative created an unintended perception of disparity or lack of support for the initiative," the statement read.

"CSA believes success both on the field and beyond the boundary will be guaranteed if all South Africans stand united to build a new innings based on the pillars of inclusivity, access and excellence."

He's said before he won't do it for religious reasons, but as the article says the South African board gave the players alternative actions (fist raised or standing to attention) which he evidently has refused to do as well.

Making this stance against any team is foolish, doing it against the West Indies is tantamount to wearing an "I'm a racist" shirt.

Well he apologised, said he would take the knee in future, and did indeed do so today.

Post image

And boy does he look happy to do it.

Meanwhile England absolutely demolished the Aussies today, and so far haven't needed to play an innings of over 100 balls in their three wins. Evidently the Hundred was a tactical move to improve T20 performance.

India hopefully out of the tournament after their mauling by New Zealand today. A NZ v England final would be the ideal outcome after the 2019 WC final, plenty of unfinished business there. Does seem like games are being won on the toss of a coin for the most part, bowling first seems like such a huge advantage, not ideal cricketing conditions granted. 

Not gonna touch the De Kock saga with a barge pole, it wouldn't be a proper Worpd Cup without a South African implosion at some stage. Still beggars belief they're there and Faf Du Plessis isn't 

The Ashes are going ahead, England have mostly touched down

• Joe Root (C)
  • James Anderson
  • Jonathan Bairstow 
  • Dom Bess 
  • Stuart Broad
  • Rory Burns 
  • Jos Buttler
  • Zak Crawley 
  • Haseeb Hameed 
  • Dan Lawrence 
  • Jack Leach 
  • Dawid Malan 
  • Craig Overton 
  • Ollie Pope 
  • Ollie Robinson
  • Chris Woakes 
  • Mark Wood 

-- Ben Stokes is also in the squad

Might be a bit unfair to start an Ashes Thread, given England suck and all, but full respect (seriously) James Anderson and Stuart Broad coming here one more time.

Ben Stokes, the Kiwi would love annoying Australians..

To our American Friends: The Ashes are when England lose to Australia, usually on a 4 year basis in a sport known as in any sport the English "invented".

Victorians killing New South Wales.. our slow left armer concussed.. Has England heard of Mitch Swepson?

Edited by PantherFan22

• Admin
23 minutes ago, PantherFan22 said:

Might be a bit unfair to start an Ashes Thread, given England suck and all, but full respect (seriously) James Anderson and Stuart Broad coming here one more time.

I'll just temporarily rename this thread once the T20 World Cup is done and dusted.