The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

Donovan's general malaise towards soccer the year before, shit form, and just simply hot being "donovan" is what caused him to miss out. There are indeed a few ignored aspects to that that people will undoubtedly ignore when Howard does return to the USMNT.

I'm pumped for Guzan .... and I really can't wait to see if our next crop is as good as some think it is.

So uh yeah, the hunt for '18 has officially begun. Roster for our friendly tomorrow:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Tim Ream (Bolton)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Brek Shea (Stoke City)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Joe Gyau (Borussia Dortmund II), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich)

Glad to see Ream back in getting a look ... RUBIN ! WOOD ! JORDAN FREAKING MORRIS (hey there GoGo) GYAU !

Oy, if only Stu could get healthy.

• 1 month later...
  • Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Bill Hamid, Nick Rimando
  • Defenders: John Brooks, Timothy Chandler, Greg Garza, Omar Gonzalez, Michael Orozco, Tim Ream, DeAndre Yedlin
  • Midfielders: Alejandro Bedoya, Joe Corona, Mix Diskerud, Luis Gil, Julian Green, Alfredo Morales
  • Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Landon Donovan, Joe Gyau, Miguel Ibarra, Bobby Wood

Roster for the two upcoming friendlies.

DONOVAN SEND OFF THIS FRIDAY !!!!

Ibarra gets the call. I like it. Having seen him a few times in person, the kid has the talent. Now is the perfect time to try it out. Good to see Ream back, he deserves it after his form the last year.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice rebound after the skid with a win over Panama. Zardes looked good and I really hope he can continue on his upward path. Dempsey and Zardes played really well together actually. He also freed up Jozy to do what he needs to do.

The U20s landed a very favorable group at their WC with NZ, Ukraine, and Myanmar.

Steffen has shown very nicely in goal and Carter Vickers is looking to be the next Besler type breakout (of course, Birnbaum is looking to do that as well)

I like their chances to show well as they actually seem to play pretty good 'total team' football and aren't overly reliant on any single person.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what's more depressing. Blowing the win and then the draw in that fashion, or giving up a hat trick to Nicklas fucking Bendtner.

Yeah, Bendtner. Not even a question about it.

Seriously though, I'm quite torn on the national team right now. It's only been 9 months since the World Cup, and qualifying hasn't even started yet... so there is a lot of time for players to break out and the squad to come good. But on the other hand, the Gold Cup is rapidly approaching, Qualifying starts after it... and Klinnsman doesn't seem to have any real vision of what he wants to do. He's undecided on a formation, has no clue whether or not to phase out vets like Jermaine Jones or not (including where to play him), and a lot of the youngsters he's been trying out either aren't at that level (yet) or aren't getting enough playing time at the club level to develop the way they should. Add in Besler's big drop of form post-WC and the aging of Clint Dempsey, I'm just a smidgen worried.

Color me a bit skeptical about that thinking Szumi .... BECAUSE:

His formation movement has been based solely on who he has brought in. However, he's getting less "tinkery" with players and their positions. Yes, Jones ... but he was moved because he can defend/help the attack/not forget he defends and provides a very good study for the slew of youth we have in defense. He's one of the three big transition guys we have for this summer and the early part of qualification (if not up to the WC itself). Shea was moved not to tinker, but because he's the only guy with any USMNT experience that has any ability to play LB/LWB at all that hadn't screwed their own pooch there yet. Fabian Johnson is better suited up the field ... so there is a hole there. Bedoya though, was right where he needs to be finally, as was Bradley ... and imagine that, Altidore not on an island.

Which leads to the players simply not being there yet .... which is true. Yet, this is the exact time you cut their teeth and get them minutes. Yarborough/Alvarado/Ibarra/Rubin/Zardes/Sorto/Dean/O'Neill/Birnbaum/Gil/Serna/Trapp/Hyndman/Morris .... those guys aren't even in the preliminary squad for USMNT matches if these games mean anything at all. Because they're essentially throw away in terms of results, they now get the BS out of the way. They've put on the shirt, put in work in that setting, made the trip with coaches and team, and they can get over the initial awe of the experience and focus on what matters going forward. That time isn't this summer at the Gold Cup or this late fall/winter when WCQ starts. It's now ... and if someone breaks out, great. If not, absolutely no harm.

Given everything I've seen since the world cup, I'd really like us to try a 4/4/2 diamond. Altidore and Johannson up top will work IMO. Dempsey/Bedoya/NguyenMix can all play as the CAM underneath. We have a bevy of L/RM and L/RWB types that are interchangeable and can cover each other depending on who is playing with Zusi/Johnson/Shea/Garza/Yedlin/Ream/Cameron/Evans(he's a freaking RB)/Chandler .... the bottom of the diamond has Bradley/Morales/Williams if he can get healthy long enough/and Jones if needs be. CB is the weak spot but I feel that with GK a strength and the potential of Brooks/Hedges, Besler if he can find his form .. and cover from Goodson/Parkhurst/Gonzo if he can find his form and new faces like Birnbaum ... I think we can be better than we've been and "good enough" that the spot won't out right kill us.

OH, and the Gold Cup might be a bit easier this year .... Honduras may not make it:

Major League Soccer @MLS 46m46 minutes ago

Honduras fall to French Guiana 3-1 in the first leg of a CONCACAF @GoldCup playoff: http://soc.cr/KPSnb

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roster for Wednesday's match against Mexico ... HERE AT THE ALAMODOOOOOME :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

GOALKEEPERS (X): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS (X): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)

FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Julian Green (Hamburg), Jordan Morris (Stanford University), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

That's 13 MLS players, a NASL guy, 5 Liga MX, 2 Euro (one of which is MLS born), and a college kid. I love this roster.

• 1 month later...

Roster for 6/5 VS Netherlands and 6/10 VS Germany:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Hope Johannsson has a good showing and doesn't dip in form like Altidore did after his red hot AZ time. The two of them in form at the same time up top would be GREAT this summer for the Gold Cup. Glad to see Williams back in the picture. Dempsey is out due to having a kid, but not sure why Bedoya is out.