The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

What are you guys calling it in Scotland?

...oh.

Peace and quiet.. and preparing the party for when England get knocked oot.. that and not qualifying which is now a custom for now..

I always find the whole celebrating when we go out fairly amusing. I watched our last game in 2006 in a pub in Gran Canaria, and I hadn't noticed there was one bloke sat near the front at a table on his own. Silent for two hours, then when the final whistle went he stood up, shouted something (dunno what, don't speak Scotland) with his arms raised then left. He could've spent two hours in the sunshine doing something fun.

:/

• Like 1

What are you guys calling it in Scotland?

...oh.

Peace and quiet.. and preparing the party for when England get knocked oot.. that and not qualifying which is now a custom for now..

I always find the whole celebrating when we go out fairly amusing. I watched our last game in 2006 in a pub in Gran Canaria, and I hadn't noticed there was one bloke sat near the front at a table on his own. Silent for two hours, then when the final whistle went he stood up, shouted something (dunno what, don't speak Scotland) with his arms raised then left. He could've spent two hours in the sunshine doing something fun.

:/

Yeah it's a bit pathetic. In fairness, the nationwide coverage of the England national football team used to be incredibly annoying and jingoistic but it isn't so bad anymore. I don't really care how England do.

Is this because England have just given up or the press just don't care how they do.. Anyway... U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A...

I guess Scotland could also qualify for the World Cup if our opponents were island micronations rather than Belgium, Croatia and Serbia.

US qualifications are tainted and the send-off series is still a stupid name.

Yes because there aren't shit teams in UEFA.

All you had to do was be better than two shit teams and one good team. You know, really not all that different than the claim about CONCACAF.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, as a Seattle Reign supporter this has been pretty awful. Also if she gets convicted that's her international career for the next year over because the Women's World Cup is in Canada next year and they wouldn't let her in for sure. She needs to get help.

• Admin
Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan says he initially rooted against the USA after being left out of their World Cup squad.
United States boss Jurgen Klinsmann surprisingly chose to omit Donovan, the country's all-time record scorer with 57 goals from 156 appearances, from the party to Brazil.
Donovan, 32, tells the Los Angeles Times: "I'll be completely honest, watching them play Azerbaijan in a friendly, inside, part of me was thinking I hope the game doesn't go very well.
"In my heart of hearts, I thought if we get a 1-0 win and the team doesn't perform well, that would feel good.
"Then the next day I woke up and said to myself, that's a really bad way to feel. That's a bad way to live your life, it doesn't help me, it doesn't help the team, it doesn't help the energy that the team needs."

Los Angeles Galaxy forward Landon Donovan says he initially rooted against the USA after being left out of their World Cup squad.
United States boss Jurgen Klinsmann surprisingly chose to omit Donovan, the country's all-time record scorer with 57 goals from 156 appearances, from the party to Brazil.
Donovan, 32, tells the Los Angeles Times: "I'll be completely honest, watching them play Azerbaijan in a friendly, inside, part of me was thinking I hope the game doesn't go very well.
"In my heart of hearts, I thought if we get a 1-0 win and the team doesn't perform well, that would feel good.
"Then the next day I woke up and said to myself, that's a really bad way to feel. That's a bad way to live your life, it doesn't help me, it doesn't help the team, it doesn't help the energy that the team needs."

Special Breaking News: Landon Donovan is a human being.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This just screams hypocrisy after the Landon Donovan sabbatical. I love Howard, and I personally have no problems with a 36-year old taking a year off from international football, especially when it's a year of friendlies... but he gets welcomed back while Donovan is shunned and eventually left off the WC roster too? Seems a bit hypocritical, Jurgenn.

Yeah, the fact that Donovan genuinely wasn't playing well in 2014 up to the point of the World Cup is a thing that has mostly been ignored. I think the moment he decided to straight-up retire has been when he's started to play his best. Also the fact that Donovan's hiatus was from soccer entirely; Howard's taking a break from the national team but still playing for Everton. I think ultimately the real deciding factor will be that Donovan and Klinsmann dislike each other about as openly as either can, but it's not really the same deal as cutting LD from the World Cup roster.

It is kind of funny that after Tim Howard basically becomes one of the most famous soccer players in America he's now withdrawn himself from playing international games. But ultimately it's a great opportunity for Brad Guzan, who realistically should be the starter in 2018, to get the 2015 Gold Cup under his belt. If Howard were to start for the USA four years from now, it'd either be an indication that his play is still undeniably great or something's gone horribly wrong with all of the young GK prospects we have right now.