The USMNT Thread

HailtotheYo

United States preliminary roster for the CONCACAF Gold Cup

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club León)

Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club América), DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Michael Orozco (Pubela), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers), Brek Shea (Orlando City), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Aron Jóhannsson (AZ), Jordan Morris (Stanford University), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Ok, some interesting notes:

The retired from NT duty Beasley was named, alongside Brad Davis and Alan Gordon .. oooooo k

No Cameron? Wood? Williams? .. and he abandons the Ibarra experiment? WTF does Feilhaber have to do to get another look? ? ? ?

Morris gets the nod but Rubin is absent?

REAM! GARZA!

Klinsmann including a dude who has retired for the national team instead of Robbie Rogers is pretty embarrassing. I guess DMB told Klinsmann he'd be willing to be made available? I don't see the point, though.

Feels like there's a group of players that Klinsmann just doesn't like no matter how well they do in club play, and Cameron, Rogers, Feilhaber, and Chad Marshall are among them, though allegedly with Cameron it's some issue with Stoke.

but fuck it WE BEAT GERMANY (in a friendly)

Klinsmann including a dude who has retired for the national team instead of Robbie Rogers is pretty embarrassing. I guess DMB told Klinsmann he'd be willing to be made available? I don't see the point, though.

Feels like there's a group of players that Klinsmann just doesn't like no matter how well they do in club play, and Cameron, Rogers, Feilhaber, and Chad Marshall are among them, though allegedly with Cameron it's some issue with Stoke.

but fuck it WE BEAT GERMANY (in a friendly)

Marshall, Feilhaber absolutely ... Rogers, eh I don't think he's done anything spectacular. Shea and Johnson provide the LB/LM combo play and Garza I think is better and Ream certainly deserves an inclusion again after the last two years.

If it is Stoke, they can suck an egg.

And yeah WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MURRRRRRRIIICAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come from behind to beat da Dutch, and then take one from Germany ? KTHXBYE

• 2 weeks later...

Gold Cup Squad:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa/2007), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake/2011, 2013), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC/2009), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy/2013), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers/2011)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake/2009, 2013), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/2011, 2013), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/2007, 2011), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo/2005), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC/2013), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/2011), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC/2005, 2007, 2011), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes/2011, 2013)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank goodness, really. I'd like to see Garza start at left back. It was looking like Fabian would be stuck there again since we had no actual left back on the original 23. Fabian should be in the midfield, and Davis nowhere near the national team.

You gotta hang in FOR AMERICA.

We could've played a lot better and should have really focused more on defense after going up 2-0, but a win is a win. Let's do diiiis.

Really poor performance on the whole of it. Guxan made saves when he had to, but his poor communication with the back line almost led to the Honduras equalizer on that cross/shot. Chandler continues to have the mental concentration of a child, Alvarado was awful; no business being selected over Gonzo. Beckerman even want his usual sturdy self. Altidore was really bad too, to the point Dempsey did his target man role better. Bradley was indifferent, but provided good service on his set pieces.

I think Dempsey did great with the little service he had and was phenomenal with his hold up play and winning fouls to let the team push up. I like Yedlin's hustle, but he had to get an end product if he is going to play midfield. I was really impressed with the defensive work rate of Zardes, especially since he is a forward playing in the midfield. Evans was acceptable and better than Chandler, Wondo at least played with hustle (still prefer Zardes or Johannson partnering Clint), and Zusi probably should have come on 5-10 minutes dinner.

Zusi should have waited to eat dinner until after the match!

I ended up falling asleep a few minutes after Dempsey's second. 

I wasn't too impressed with the communication between our backline. But then again, I don't think I've ever (or ever will) been satisfied with our defense.

Eh, I saw bits and pieces that looked good.  We has several fluid movements up the field with quick passes and one touch moves ... which is something still new to this group.  I can see a better transition game emerging as well.

That said, we were flat.  Really, really flat.

• 3 months later...