EWB Music Club Meeting #1

METALMAN

38 members have voted

1. 1. What album do you want to listen to?

• Little Roy - Battle For Seattle (Matt)
    • Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch The Throne (Livid)
    • Fun - Aim & Ignite (Apsham)
    • Steven Page - Page One (Apsham)
    • Jonathan Coulton - Artificial Heart (Apsham)
    • Spoonboy - The Papas (LD)
    • They Might Be Giants - Join Us (GoGo)
    • The Weekend - Thursday (HeyThere)
    • This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket (fr34k)
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With You (fr34k)

So yeah, just vote for the album we'll listen to and stuff. Give it till...eh...Friday night chaps? Say 9pm GMT? Or whenever I manage to get on here. >_>

Don't vote for your own suggestion. Obviously. For albums with multiple nominations I've just gone for the person to bring it up first. So basically, if your username is next to an album, don't vote for it. Otherwise, vote away!

Must admit that other than Kanye & Jay-Z, Chilis, Jonathan Coulton and They Might Be Giants, I've never heard of any of these, and I only have very little knowledge of the last two. Looked a few up and I'll probably try and listen to them even if they don't win out here.

Oh and finally, if you've any late submissions to the poll, just let me know here and I'll throw them on.

*Little Roy.

I totally wrote that in the original thread and haven't just noticed I typed the wrong thing.

Edit: I meant to mention this in the original thread but: if this is every week, maybe we could do the top couple of albums but say if you don't have time/don't want, you don't have to listen to and discuss both. 1) That'd give us more to talk about. 2) We get through more people's suggestions. 3) It would probably avoid the problem of people who hate a particular genre/band having to listen to it if they want to contribute to the club that week. I don't think getting people to listen to 2 albums a week is too much of a push.

Voted for Watch The Throne since RHCP was my suggestion, but either is fine with me really. Both are fairly recent, big releases and would make a good starting point.

So EWB starts a Music Listening Group and the first two albums they chose to sample - RHCP and Kanye West & Jay Z. Why not do something a bit more obscure, you know, something that people haven't heard. I'm sure many of us have already formed our opinions on Jay Z, Kanye West and RHCP considering they have had multiple number one albums and countless big songs. Just seems a bit stupid to do have a listening group for the new RHCP album when presumably most people are going to listen to it anyway.

Because it's an album that will have a lot of talking points and allows us to work our way into this a bit, before going for anything 'challenging'.

I take it this means book clubs aren't allowed to do anything on the best-sellers list too?

• Like 2

I just don't understand the point of reviewing an album from a band/rapper who is two decades old, has a well established fan-base where people have probably already developed opinions on the band and, in the case of RHCP, isn't really relevant to what's happening in music. Who gives a shit about a band's mediocre 10th album that doesn't really have anything interesting or new to say about music? Ditto for Kanye and Jay Z (and I liked that album).

BREAKING NEWS: Person looks at list. Sees album by band they like vs. ten albums by bands they have never heard of. Votes for album by band they like.

I am not enthusiastic about RHCP either for pretty much the exact same reason but it's my hope that the people voting for it voted for it for the same reason I voted for Watch the Throne; it's an album I've been meaning to listen to for a while and this would be an added incentive to get it and properly give it a listen. I'm all for giving albums by bands I've never heard before a shot but to be honest for that to happen we're going to have to ditch the format where everyone votes, because unless we do something like previews/profiles of all the albums it's just going to be the ones people have heard of.

BREAKING NEWS: Person looks at list. Sees album by band they like vs. ten albums by bands they have never heard of. Votes for album by band they like.

I am not enthusiastic about RHCP either for pretty much the exact same reason but it's my hope that the people voting for it voted for it for the same reason I voted for Watch the Throne; it's an album I've been meaning to listen to for a while and this would be an added incentive to get it and properly give it a listen. I'm all for giving albums by bands I've never heard before a shot but to be honest for that to happen we're going to have to ditch the format where everyone votes, because unless we do something like previews/profiles of all the albums it's just going to be the ones people have heard of.

QFE

There's no better way to describe my feelings on the matter. It's absolutely the right way to go about an EWB music club.