2011 NFL Season

gunnar hendershow

I think the time off will have helped Palmer adjust to the Raiders offense. They're in a prime position to go 10-6 and win that division. Worst case scenario is that Jason Campbell can take back the job that was stolen from him when he gets healthy again, and the Raiders might be able to develop a competitive team for the next few years. I do have worries all those lost draft picks will come back to hurt them though. How do you feel about the Raiders getting rid of so many picks DMN?

On a related note, do any of you think Rivers has an injury he's keeping secret? I can't think of a time where a QB who has been as good as him and has kept the same personnel around him just suddenly becoming mediocre. If he were a few years older we'd have an explanation, but he should be in his prime right now. It's just strange.

I'm not DMN but lost drafts pick can't be any worse than selecting a stiff like DHB in the 1st round right? :shifty:

DHB is actually starting to look like a decent receiver. Not first round worthy, but acceptable. Honestly, the Raiders haven't drafted *that* badly lately. I'd rather have built a good, young, team around JC, through the draft, but circumstances changed. The Raiders gave up far too much to not ride Palmer the rest of the way, so, with JC being a FA after the season, his tenure in Oakland is probably done.

I think Oakland has as much talent as anyone in the AFC West, and are in perfect position to win it if Palmer pans out.

On a related note, do any of you think Rivers has an injury he's keeping secret? I can't think of a time where a QB who has been as good as him and has kept the same personnel around him just suddenly becoming mediocre. If he were a few years older we'd have an explanation, but he should be in his prime right now. It's just strange.

Rivers is 19th in passer rating and has a TD/INT ratio of 7/11. that's definitely below average. If it's not an injury it's rather confusing. he looked to be one of the top 5 this year and now he's below Andy Dalton and Mark Sanchez.

he should be able to recover but if he doesn't soon it's gonna be a rough year for them. anyway I'm glad I didn't draft in him in fantasy like I'd considered.

I don't see what was wrong with Campbell. Before he got hurt he was running things pretty well and seemed more than capable of leading Okaland to a division title. While obviously rusty, Palmer already looked shaky before and I wouldn't be shocked if he is actually worse than Campbell at this point. Of course as DMN said, when you put that much value into trading for someone he's pretty much got the job locked up for him. Shame of Campbell though, he really didn't deserve to lose his job (Especially to an injury).

Yeah I didn't get the "win now" attitude of the Raiders. Sure the West is ripe for the taking this year, but even if they win the division their conference still has Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England, and New York in it and at least 3 of them will probably be waiting for them in the playoffs.

They would have been more successful longterm had they kept the draft picks and built the team around Campbell as QB.

Guest JukeboxHero

I feel bad for the guy. He's a great player, yet has had the worst luck this year. He's had to sit out or get pulled out of a number of games due to injury and illness. When he's healthy, he hasn't gotten the ball nearly as much as he should. And on Halloween, some sort of miscommunication caused him to miss a charity event for kids and he got a lot of negative press here in Cleveland because of it. It's amazing to me how many people around here are simply turning on him at this point. He deserves a contract extension.

He's had one good season in his career. The idea that he deserves a contract extension because of that one year, which has not come even close to being duplicated this year, is absurd. There's no proof that one season wasn't a fluke, why the hell would you pay for such uncertainty?

• Like 2

He's had one good season in his career. The idea that he deserves a contract extension because of that one year, which has not come even close to being duplicated this year, is absurd. There's no proof that one season wasn't a fluke, why the hell would you pay for such uncertainty?

Because thats what all pro teams do? Matt Cassel took one good season and got a starting job and a good load of money out of it. Ryan Fitzpatrick had years of average at best play, yet spun his career season this year into a big contract. Kevin Kolb was a very slightly above average backup. It happens all the time. Players have years of mediocre to average play, have a career season in their contract season, and get huge money out of it

I feel bad for the guy. He's a great player, yet has had the worst luck this year. He's had to sit out or get pulled out of a number of games due to injury and illness. When he's healthy, he hasn't gotten the ball nearly as much as he should. And on Halloween, some sort of miscommunication caused him to miss a charity event for kids and he got a lot of negative press here in Cleveland because of it. It's amazing to me how many people around here are simply turning on him at this point. He deserves a contract extension.

I pretty much disagree with everything you just wrote. He's not a great player by any means. He missed a game with strep throat, which is not going to win you points in the NFL. The Halloween thing is ridiculous, but the fact that he's only had 1 productive season out of the 3 1/2 he's been around for is the very reason he does NOT deserve an extension. It'd be one thing if he'd put up a 2,000 yard season and a couple of other 1,200+ yard seasons, but Hillis' best season matches up with Chris Johnson's worst year. There are a lot of backs out there that can give you one ~1,150 yard season. The ones that get paid the big money do that all the time. Thus far, Hillis is not that guy.

Because thats what all pro teams do? Matt Cassel took one good season and got a starting job and a good load of money out of it. Ryan Fitzpatrick had years of average at best play, yet spun his career season this year into a big contract. Kevin Kolb was a very slightly above average backup. It happens all the time. Players have years of mediocre to average play, have a career season in their contract season, and get huge money out of it

You shouldn't reference QBs in the same sentence as RBs. Running backs are basically a dime a dozen. Every year someone we've never heard of emerges as a franchise RB. It's VERY rare that an unknown QB becomes a franchise QB. Arian Foster barely got any run as a rookie, then led the league in rushing yards and TDs and is putting up comparable stats again this year. I can't name the last time an undrafted QB sat on the bench as a rookie, then became the league's top rated passer in year 2.

Edited by naiwf
  • Like 1

That's all pretty much irrelevant, as they are different situations. No one would have given Cassel a bunch of money if he followed up his one good season with one where he's missed half his games due to various injuries. Fitzpatrick had a perfectly fine season last year, built upon that and has even better this year. Kolb lost his starting job due to injury, didn't get time to showcase that he sucked and thus managed to retain the mystique of being good.

Not to mention the fact that you're comparing QBs to RBs, which is just ridiculous.

Ahmad Bradshaw, Hakeem Nicks, and David Baas did not travel with the team and are officially out against the Patriots.

Baas is easily the biggest loss of the bunch. Losing Bradshaw hurts, but the Giants' run game has been nonexistant anyway. The loss of Nicks would be a bigger deal if my grandmother couldn't catch deep balls against the Patriots secondary.

The same reason that owners can cut your contract for one year of underproduction.

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. Until they are, the players have every right to shove it in the face of the team after a year they explode in. Players get the rug pulled out from under them for one bad year all the time.

Once again, not relevant to my point. The Browns were smart for not paying him, that's the point I'm making. He hasn't done anything to merit a contract extension, especially after this season. The fact that teams overpay for QBs or the fact that NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and players get screwed over, have nothing to do with what I'm saying.

And the Dolphins win, so the Colts will be getting Andrew Luck, because that team won't win a game this year.