Lou Reed and Metallica recorded an album together

RPS

Those drums in the beginning were horrid. That's what turned me off to this shit. People actually listen to Metallica?

I don't think the drums in the beginning of one song, is indicative of the entire career of a band that has sold albums amassing a number second only to The Beatles. dry.gif

I've also listened to Master of Puppets all the way through a couple times, so, no, but my combined experiences lead me to wonder why people listen to Metallica.

Putting it out there, and it is a wacky, some might say KERAAZYY idea, but because people like their music?

Just....throwing it out there.

Okay, let me phrase this differently -- What is the appeal of Metallica?

Those drums in the beginning were horrid. That's what turned me off to this shit. People actually listen to Metallica?

I don't think the drums in the beginning of one song, is indicative of the entire career of a band that has sold albums amassing a number second only to The Beatles. dry.gif

I've also listened to Master of Puppets all the way through a couple times, so, no, but my combined experiences lead me to wonder why people listen to Metallica.

Putting it out there, and it is a wacky, some might say KERAAZYY idea, but because people like their music?

Just....throwing it out there.

Okay, let me phrase this differently -- What is the appeal of Metallica?

I'm not a big fan. They have some decent enough songs. Works for me if people wanna like them.

But why are you a fan? For example, I'm a fan of the Max Levine Ensamble because I like short and jumpy songs whose lyrics (generally) deal in social commentary. Your turn.

Their still around? I downloaded some of their songs years ago off (I think) mp3.com

But why are you a fan? For example, I'm a fan of the Max Levine Ensamble because I like short and jumpy songs whose lyrics (generally) deal in social commentary. Your turn.

I'll answer if no one else will. I like the thrash metal of Ride the Lightning up until And Justice..., plus Death Magnetic (the latter two displaying great intricacy) with its themes of war, death and horror. I actually prefer their personal hard rock of Load and Reload as it displayed a rare diversity from such a strict genre (where 'Fade To Black' was considered a 'sell out' song once upon a time), 'Mama Said' and 'Low Man's Lyrics' are highlights for their country/blues stylings.

I don't really like Kill 'Em All, The Black Album (it's mixed like a glam rock album, eurgh) or St Anger though.

Jesus Christ. People like music for all different reasons. Metallica would probably be pretty awesome if you wanted to go to a concert and head bang and rock the shit out. The Chemical Brothers would be amazing if you wanted to go to a club, drop some drugs and dance all fucking night long. Jay-Z would be great if you wanted to listen to a story teller weave stories in an interesting, funny and boisterous way. Adele would be great if you just had your heart broken by a miserable cunt and you needed to hear somebody else express exactly how you feel. The Scissor Sisters are great if you are drinking a bottle of wine with your mo's and you are off to go get fisted in a sex club. I hate Metallica, but I'm not going to be a cunt about things and act like I don't understand why ANYBODY would like them.

• Like 5

Personally, I like Metallica because they have some heavy riffs that sound cool, some of Kirk's solos are great, they were brilliant when I saw them live, I like Hetfield's (admittedly limited in range) vocals and I enjoy quite a lot of their lyrics. Are they perfect in everything they do? Nah, no band is, but I like them even if they're not the best, technically, at what they do.

This song with Lou Reed is shit, however.

I might as well answer to that. They have just made music that i really enjoy, not everything though but more to that later. I've always liked Hetfield's lyrics, they peaked on Load/Reload albums. Those two are different from the other stuff they've made. I like their thrash albums of the 80's. Hard to say which one is the best one. I like Black Album, but then there's stuff like Hero Of The Day, The Outlaw Torn, Low Man's Lyric and FiXXXer on those two albums that i really like as well, then again those two albums also have the worst songs they've done.

He might not be the world's greatest singer, but Hetfield's vocals are something i've always liked. His voice isn't what it was in the 80's or even most of 90's, watching Master Of Puppets from twenty-years ago and today there's a big difference in it. It's still getting better from what it was around St.Anger tour. I'm also a big fan of their ballad-ish songs like Unforgiven 1/2, Fade To Black, Low Man's Lyric etc.

Kirk and Hetfield have both done some great solos over the years.

Always have been my favourite band, but they are not perfect. Ulrich's drumming has been getting worse the older he's become. There's some really bad songs on Load/Reload. St. Anger has few good songs, but it has some terrible shit as well and it is their worst album easily, Kill 'em All is pretty good musicwise, but that's one album where i hate Hetfield's voice. So there it is...

Now that i look at that post, to make it simple you could say that most of what i like about them comes from James Hetfield's lyrics/vocals and song writing.

Edited by The Sandman

Personally, I like Metallica because they have some heavy riffs that sound cool, some of Kirk's solos are great, they were brilliant when I saw them live, I like Hetfield's (admittedly limited in range) vocals and I enjoy quite a lot of their lyrics. Are they perfect in everything they do? Nah, no band is, but I like them even if they're not the best, technically, at what they do.

This song with Lou Reed is shit, however.

I find it hilarious that when they played Leeds Festival in 2008, Kirk played some shitty riffs for a minute (twice), which were labelled 'Kirk Solos' when the gig was put on sale on metallicalive.com... They were StSanders-esque.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's 30 sec. previews of all the songs.

Musicwise i think that sounds pretty good, still it's just short clips and in some of them you can't really tell anything about the song, but pretty much everything there sounds better than The View so that's a plus. Pumping Blood is only one where i absolutely can't stand Lou Reed's voice in, that just sounds fucking horrible. There's few that i quite like (Brandenburg Gate, Iced Honey and Little Dog.)

EDIT: For anyone interested the samples can now be heard on the official site.

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/news/preview-all-the-songs-from-lulu

Edited by The Sandman

Quick review...

Not that bad.

The problem, as I predicted, is you can't produce 85 minutes of music in such a short time without it sounding rushed - consequently Metallica's contribution is a glorified jam session and Lou Reed is doing what I imagine Lou Reed has done all his career (not knowledgeable enough to compare his earlier works to be honest). I eventually tuned out Reed's vocals, both a good thing as they're coarse, inconsistent and tuneless, and a bad thing as it means he's not doing his job properly. Hetfield's small vocal contribution is quite good - "I AM A TABLE" aside - because it gives the music a much needed punch.

Personally, I imagine this will become background music as not a single track stands out (except 'The View' and that's only because I had listened to it before). I doubt I'll actively "acquire" the album but if it's on Spotify, I'll listen while I'm doing other stuff I guess.

One final note, the "monster" length of final track Junior Dad is a cheat. Song ends about ten minutes in with mostly ambient guitar afterwards. It's quite lovely actually but if you're expecting a twenty-minute epic you'll be disappointed. Or relieved.