The Avengers

TKz

It was phrased... not incorrectly, actually, but maybe a little ambiguously. What the picture actually is is a satire of the way female characters are typically depicted on comic covers.

It's supposed to be like "OH WHAT IF ALL THE AVENGERS POSED LIKE THEY HAVE THE LADY ONE DO". But I mean, it's kind of hard to condemn Avengers for making women sex objects when there's only two in the whole film and both of them kick a fair amount of ass and are never really hyper-sexualised like they are in pretty much every comic book ever. Black Widows skin tight outfit is pretty freakin' PG compared to everything she's ever worn in the comics ever. For starters her bodysuit would need to be pretty much unzipped. >_>

It's supposed to be like "OH WHAT IF ALL THE AVENGERS POSED LIKE THEY HAVE THE LADY ONE DO". But I mean, it's kind of hard to condemn Avengers for making women sex objects when there's only two in the whole film and both of them kick a fair amount of ass and are never really hyper-sexualised like they are in pretty much every comic book ever. Black Widows skin tight outfit is pretty freakin' PG compared to everything she's ever worn in the comics ever. For starters her bodysuit would need to be pretty much unzipped. >_>

It's not about the movie, it's about the comic book industry. Note that Black Widow's pose shifts to being impractical too.

It was phrased... not incorrectly, actually, but maybe a little ambiguously. What the picture actually is is a satire of the way female characters are typically depicted on comic covers.

Ah. I haven't seen a comic book in years. Are they still that over-the-top?

Ah. I haven't seen a comic book in years. Are they still that over-the-top?

This was the cover of the Emerald City Comic Con program this year. During a discussion of depiction of women in comics and how to make it better at the Marvel panel, a conventiongoer aptly described it as "Witchblade Presents."

It's not about the movie, it's about the comic book industry. Note that Black Widow's pose shifts to being impractical too.

Ah, the one I've seen going around had what I posted as a caption beneath it. Well, not exactly, but the point was supposed to be switching it out to the pose Widow is making in the original.

These reversal pictures have been done quite often, they pop up on my Tumblr all the time with various superheroes, so Avengers definitely isn't being singled out. It just happens to be the relevant one right now.

In more positive news, biggest second weekend in history.

$103 million, shattering Avatar's $75 million record. Movie has already surpassed $1 billion worldwide. My friends, we have a phenomenon on our hands.

That led me to look up the highest grossing films of all time to see where it's currently ranked. I then learned that Transformers: Dark of the Moon is 4th all time. This depresses me.

• Like 3

Okay, so comic book artists (and likely writers and many readers) are still over-horny, immature, eternally pubescent boys then. Got it.

I know a comic book artist. In his case stuff he has done is what he is asked to do. He's done furry commissions, because they pay really well. I think it is a mix of writers, artists, and importantly audience.

That led me to look up the highest grossing films of all time to see where it's currently ranked. I then learned that Transformers: Dark of the Moon is 4th all time. This depresses me.

If it makes you feel better, it's going to be 5th in a couple of weeks.

Maybe it's just because I don't hate the Transformers franchise as much as the rest of the internet but I think Avatar being 1st is a lot more depressing.