2011-12 MLB Offseason Thread

Lowerdeck

The perception among many is that Darvish was better than Buerhle or Wilson, and the Rangers scouted everyone of his starts this year so they would most likely know. His stuff is filthy. Wish it were the Jays media debating this investment, since after Yu is off the market it gets pretty bleak. Edwin Jackson, anyone?

The perception among many is that Darvish was better than Buerhle or Wilson, and the Rangers scouted everyone of his starts this year so they would most likely know. His stuff is filthy. Wish it were the Jays media debating this investment, since after Yu is off the market it gets pretty bleak. Edwin Jackson, anyone?

I don't necessarily disagree, but they're saying he's looking for a contract in the range of 5 years/$75 million. If that's what he gets, that means they'd be investing about $125 million in him over 5 years and no one knows if he'll be an ace or a bust. I don't know that any current MLB pitcher would get that kind of deal, so why should Darvish?

To be fair, the Rangers aren't giving up any players in order to acquire Yu Darvish from another team. Held to that perspective it makes a lot more sense, it's still a ton of money but if he were an MLB pitcher already and had the numbers he has they'd have to sell the farm for him.

Gio Gonzalez to the Nationals for AJ Cole, Brad Peacock, Tommy Milone and Derrek Norris. Because we'd almost gone 2 months in this offseason without the Nationals flipping out and paying through the nose for an unspectacular player.

Beltran to the Cardinals on a 2 year, 26 million dollar deal with a full no-trade. Good signing, allows them to move Berkman back to 1B where he belongs and if he and Beltran come close to duplicating their 2011 campaigns they may not actually be significantly worse offensively despite the loss of Albert Pujols. He could get hurt, but despite the injuries he's really had little problem putting up 3 WAR seasons which is all he needs to do for this contract to be good value.

Well they were trying to repeat as champs, it'll be looked back on as a bad trade but at the time everyone basically said they had no choice since they desperately needed the bat.

I agree that it was a trade that had to be made. Beltran was having a good year and you have to make that trade given their weak lineup and depth at pitching. Wheeler's e.t.a is 2013 right? Who knows what happens by that point. Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano doesn't look so bad now does it?

• 2 weeks later...

Barry Larkin elected to the Baseball HOF. Much deserved.

Jeff Bagwell was snubbed for another year though. As a Mets fan, I can't help but shake the feeling that Piazza is going to get robbed next year because some writers are just adamant about not voting for ANY steroid-era home run hitters irregardless of whether there was PED evidence against them or not.

Biggio is a lock for next year. Whoever gets in though is going to get overshadowed by the decisions on Bonds, Clemens, etc.

Astros claim Fernando Martinez off waivers from the Mets, thereby ending the tenure of one of the biggest busts in Mets history. It's hard to say a 23 year old is already a bust, but he can't stay healthy, already has an arthritic knee, and has been hyped heavily since 16 and has shown nothing.

Michael Kay said the Mets will probably lose 100 games next year. I think that might be a bit of an overreaction - which considering Kay hates the Mets probably makes sense. The team isn't a whole lot different from the one that went 77-85 last season. I could see them having a similar record, maybe slightly worse. But not 15 games worse.

What's the general opinion here on steroid users and the Hall of Fame? Personally, I find it kind of upsettting to see the biggest names of my generation of baseball (Barry Bonds/Roger Clemens/Mark McGwire) not get into the Hall of Fame at all. It seems like these old Baseball Writers have decided to take some stubborn stance and ignore an entire generation of baseball players. The problem with that is we don't know exactly who did or didn't use, so the writers are just making assumptions, and I'm sure there have been plenty of Hall of Famers who have bent the rules in one way or another (used steroids, corked bats, illegal pitches).

If you were exposed as a steroid user your legacy is already somewhat tainted in the fans' minds. Why deprive a generation of baseball fans from seeing the biggest stars of the sport from getting spots in the Hall of Fame?

Worse yet, the Yankees now have a vacancy at DH. I bet they somehow, someway, end up with Fielder.

The Yankees don't have a vacancy at DH. One of the reasons they traded Montero is that A-Rod needs to be at DH a lot more. I don't have a problem with the trade. It is about as fair of a trade as you can get.