The 2012 January Transfer Thread

Crybaby Bunting

The United rumour of the day, well apart from the Rooney leaving bollocks, is that Paul Scholes is considering coming out of retirement to bolster our midfield options. Unlike the Lampard rumour I could actually see this happening but I still think it's the press making something out of nothing (as usual).

• Admin

Patrick van Aanholt has returned to Chelsea after his loan spell at Wigan was terminated by mutual consent between all three parties.

NYRB's Tim Ream is set to complete a move to Bolton, replacing Chelsea-bound Gary Cahill, subject to obtaining a work permit.

• Admin

Dundee United's Scott Allan is poised to seal his move to West Brom after passing a medical at the Hawthorns.

Burnley are closing on a deal to secure the permanent signing of Ben Mee from Manchester City.

Chelsea are reportedly set to sign Kenneth Omeruo from Standard Liege this month before loaning him out to ADO Den Haag with immediate effect. Reports in the Dutch media claim that the player in question is Omeruo, who is expected to play for the Eredivisie side until the end of the 2012-13 campaign.

What gets me is that Demba Ba was available to practically every club when his contract with West Ham expired, yet everyone else thought he was too much of a risk because of his knee <_<

Really? I read that he had extremely high demands as far as his agent's fees and Newcastle came in with a wage offer that dwarfed every other (65k/week IIRC.) Everton were in for him but couldn't afford the price Newcastle were willing to pay.

Edited by -A-

What gets me is that Demba Ba was available to practically every club when his contract with West Ham expired, yet everyone else thought he was too much of a risk because of his knee <_<

Really? I read that he had extremely high demands as far as his agent's fees and Newcastle came in with a wage offer that dwarfed every other (65k/week IIRC.) Everton were in for him but couldn't afford the price Newcastle were willing to pay.

I don't think so.

mike-ashley-topless3.jpg

So he'd rather spend £10m on a striker of similar quality rather than get the guy in on a free. I think 'lol, Mike Ashley is tight' doesn't mean he's a stupid businessman. He paid an extra 30k a week to save paying an enormous fee. The top 6 clubs weren't interested, so they got their guy.

I honestly very much doubt he'd pay an extra 30k and upset our ludicrously tight wage structure, plus the 'ticking time bomb' of his knee was well publicised. There were 11 clubs above us last season, only Everton could have been outbid.

How many of those clubs sold their only suitable striker for £35m? Demba Ba on a free transfer is an opportunity that doesn't come up every day - paying slightly increased wages to secure a player who still has resale value and has also looked suitable to PL football is the most sensible decision.

The other striker Newcastle were linked with over the summer was Maiga, who'd have cost something like £7m and would have been on wages of maybe £30k-£40k. He wasn't a better prospect than Ba and he also hasn't enjoyed a move to England and English football. If I'm a businessman who doesn't want to risk millions of pounds on expensive gambles, which one do I sign? An extra £20k p/w equates to £1m a year, so it would take 7 years for the extra wages to equal the transfer fee.

But if you pay big money to one player, you inevitably have to start doing the same for those you already have, so your quick maths don't even start to cover it. I'd be very surprised if he's on 65k, put it that way.