The 2012 January Transfer Thread

Crybaby Bunting

So with Carlos Tevez moving to Milan this January (on loan atm) what better time to kick off the bi-yearly transfer thread.

Who will Beckham sign for? Will Anzhi, Malaga and PSG shovel up more of Europe's wonderkids? And will Chelsea or Liverpool bite the bullet and offload Torres and Carroll? if only on loan to boost their form.

Predictions:

Beckham will join PSG - "To re-establish France as a major European footballing power" whilst clutching a bag of cash

Gary Cahill will end up at Chelsea in this season's "It makes sense but I still didn't see it coming" move

Torres will be loaned to Athletico Madrid/Malaga. Chelsea have enough strikers to take the hit and use it as a "It benefits both parties in the short term" move.

All of which will probably be proved utter bullshit by February 1st (or 2nd) but hey, unfounded rumours and speculation is half the fun shifty.gif

EDIT: Fucking hell, it's 2012 ¬¬

• Admin

I think we're more likely going to end up with Cahill than Chelsea but who knows, he could end up just about anywhere! Can't see Torres or Carroll going anywhere though.

Nice botch of the thread title :P. Would a mod mind changing it to "The 2012 January Transfer window Thread"?

Predictions:

-Beckham stays in the states

-Anelka joins the MLS

-Questions about Torres last until deadline day but he stays on at Chelsea

-Cahill signs for Chelsea

- Man United sign someone, not a big name but more a signing resembling that of Chris Smalling's when he was signed from Fulham.

Oh shit, utterly forgot about the African Cup of Nations. With Drogba leaving for a month and Anelka looking to be leaving permanently then Torres will definitely be staying then.

Well, providing they don't panic buy Neymar <_<

EDIT: Tiote is a good call to be honest, with Lucas out for Liverpool I figured that there'd be a few bids for him, but in all honesty he'll probably leave in Summer after a few rejected bids this window make the player unhappy with his current contract :/

Edited by The General

We need to be signing someone, can't see us making a huge signing though like Future said. Could be a couple out for us too, Gibson seems like a favourite to go and maybe even Berbatov if the rumours are to be believed. Should be an interesting window as always though.

• Like 1

United still need to sign a word class midfielder, but I'm not sure if they'll wait till summer to make a move for someone. Can see Cahill going to Spurs, but Chelsea could definitely do with him, too. That could be an interesting transfer battle. I'm sure Chelsea will make a few signings where AVB tries to get a few more players into his system.

Prediction

Johnny Howson to QPR

We need to tweet this and push it again on deadline day. Nearly worked last time although I think if I remember some girl who was a Leeds fan ended up flipping on twitter about the rumour.

For the record, Sneijder to United would probably be the worst transfer in living history.

On paper he's a wonderful player and would improve Manchester United's midfield tenfold, but that's providing he'll play, and considering he has a muscle injury that may never go away he has to pick and choose which games he plays on the day of the match. When you're going to spend £35m+ on a player then you're going to want him to play most games at short notice, he can't provide that. That last thing United need is a player that could be sidelined for months with a minor tackle, given that they already have Michael Owen to play that position.

Would Spurs give Ledley King a contract worth £250,000 per week?

Currently Inter are 15th in Serie A. They are in a position where they'd happily sell him to recoup the Champions League money that they're obviously not going to get this season, but I don't think anyone particularly wants him. He obviously wants to be in a top club that will pay him an enormous sum of money, but would probably happily sit out his five year Inter contract (that he signed in 2010) instead of signing for Anzhi, Malaga or PSG.

He'd be 'worth it' if he signed for £15m on 'moderately obscene' wages of £120k, but he's not going to half his salary to play in a league that could put him in a wheelchair.

Liverpool are going to need to sign decent cover for Lucas if anything else. While, I don't think Man Utd will do any business on a major scale.

If we do buy a midfielder in January (I personally don't think we will), it won't be a Sneijder-type player. It'll be somebody that is either defensive minded or a box-to-box player, who can do well in a midfield two, and that is good physically. For all the talk of 'replacing Scholes' these past few years, we've really needed a new Roy Keane. I doubt we'll see anyone bought, instead it'll probably be Phil Jones stepping up into midfield when needed.