Most well-liked sportsmen in their field?

Liam

Well we best not name any Newcastle, Sunderland, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Leeds, Bolton associated players as rival fans all frequent this board and will veto any decision.

However I'm going to break my own rule, hope the Blackburn fans don't see this, and offer up another name... Jay-Jay Okocha?

Hey, I love Mick McCarthy! He's a legend.

I also don't particularly dislike many Sunderland players other than the obvious (Cattermole), and quite like Phillips and Quinn as proper professionals. Big Nialls in charge of the Bobby Robson Foundation too now isn't he?

If not I know he does a lot of work for it, he and Sir Bobby were good friends and Sir Bobby was a regular at the Sunderland matches. Proper football man and a shame that there aren't more people like him. I was absolutely devastated when I found out he died, despite living where he did he had no issues turning up at any of the North Eastern teams matches, he just wanted to watch football.

Well we best not name any Newcastle, Sunderland, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City, Leeds, Bolton associated players as rival fans all frequent this board and will veto any decision.

However I'm going to break my own rule, hope the Blackburn fans don't see this, and offer up another name... Jay-Jay Okocha?

I can remember watching African Cup of Nations highlights when I was 9. Nigeria were fulfilling the 'France 2002/2010' role, and I can distinctly remember Okocha grumpily refusing to be interviewed by anyone. And I mean grumpily, not just politely declining. If I'd seen it today, I'd be more understanding, but at the age of nine I thought it was the height of rudeness. Thus, I still have some lingering dislike of Okocha. So I'm vetoing this one, and I'm not even a Blackburn fan.

I think the suggestions of Solskjaer, Bobby Robson, DiMatteo and Zola are the most likeable suggestions. On the Chelsea theme, who dislikes Tore Andre Flo? Personally, I adore Owen Coyle as well. Any bitter Burnley fans on the board might shoot this one down though.

Brazilian Ronaldo? Ronaldinho? Both were ridiculously talented and everyone loved to watch them play even when they were destroying your team (Ronaldo getting a standing ovation when he scored a hat-trick against us at Old Trafford, the Madrid fans did the same to Ronaldinho too). Other than that, maybe some sort of consummate professional like Maldini?

I do love me some Rubi.

In MMA, I'd give a shout to Randy Couture, I haven't been watching MMA as long as some, but I can't seem to find a bad word spoken about him.

I don't really dislike Coyle but I certainly don't like him. I nothing him.

Barrichello is a likeable chap, agreed on that front. Flo isn't likeable as such but I still harbour bad memories.

Messi is loveable, as I find Iniesta and Xavi to be. However I could understand why people dislike them, mainly for how they're rammed down our throats. Plus I don't think it's as good without nostalgia to look back on and thing, "Oh yes, everyone loved him because _______" like you do with a Zola as such.

Edited by IAceI

Michael Jordan is probably as close as we get in the U.S. I would wager there are fans of Cleveland, Utah, Seattle, Indiana, and New York who despise just because he prevented all of them from possibly winning a title. I mean you have names like Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Ted Williams who are adored decades after they played but because nobody was alive at the same time as them (sans Ted) there's such a challenge in calling them loved.

Muhammad Ali deserves a nod but like Federer/Nadal and Borg/McEnroe there's a segment of the population who rooted for his rival.

Michael Jordan is probably as close as we get in the U.S. I would wager there are fans of Cleveland, Utah, Seattle, Indiana, and New York who despise just because he prevented all of them from possibly winning a title. I mean you have names like Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Ted Williams who are adored decades after they played but because nobody was alive at the same time as them (sans Ted) there's such a challenge in calling them loved.

Muhammad Ali deserves a nod but like Federer/Nadal and Borg/McEnroe there's a segment of the population who rooted for his rival.

I imagine there are many out there who dislike Ali because some of his actions towards Joe Frazier were those of a complete cunt.