General Gaming Thread

TKz

Played through Dead Space Extraction on PS3 this weekend, getting some life out of the Move. :shifty:

Haven't really played a rail shooter since Time Crisis on PS1 so it was a nice change of pace, even if just shooting stuff can be a bit tedious at times. I'd vaguely known that the whole 'limb' thing was a big part of this franchise and it's a nice thing to have in a shooter of this time, makes you be a bit more tactical with your shots rather than just spam the trigger as I would do on Time Crisis. That and it can be helpful to slow down a wave of enemies by shooting their legs off, giving you more time to pick off the remaining appendages.

The whole on rails aspect can be annoying at times since they have collectibles scattered around but they can pop up in such difficult to spot places or you're only given a split second to notice it, aim and then press the button to collect it that you can miss out and you have to replay that whole level again. The lack of checkpoints also screwed me over once or twice where I'd finish off one wave of enemies and I'd just be stood still and unable to move on. I was able to get by it once by using a secondary fire on one of my guns that serves as a timed mine and was able to clear out an unseen enemy behind some scenery, but another I had to quit out and replay like 20-30 mins. I also got a bit annoyed by some of the bosses too as they seemed to have such limited windows in which to shoot them and stop their attack. One boss though was insulting easy, kinda like the Beserker on Gears of War except you have the power to freeze them and just go around and shoot their weak spot.

I did appreciate the cast of characters though, mostly for the varied accents including a Scot, a South African and an Indian. I do love me some Seth Efrican.

• 2 weeks later...

I can imagine Vice City being hard as nails to play without buttons, but I've heard good things about the iPad version of XCOM. I hear FTL was ported well too.

All the GTA games and Mac Payne play very well. It´s rockstar qualety. xCom and FTL work great aswell. You can also always go for the more expensive Suqare Enix Titles like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger and some of the older Final Fantasy games (they also have Mobile exclusive titles that are not total shit like Omega Rings or whatever it is called). A Dragon Quest game is on the AppStore aswell (with more to come acording to Square Enix).

You also got Baldurs Gate 1 + 2 and Icewind Dale comming to Mobile.

Bioshock was just released for iOS.

There are tons of "big" Games for Mobile.

Lunar the SIlverstar Story just got a big performance Update, it´s been out on iOS for years. Super Meat Boy will get a Tablet version soon.

Edited by Herr Matzat

Not sure if it's just because it's new to me, but the PS4 is awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone.

So much so that I'm now picking up the Limited Edition Destiny to get all the extra stuff from the off. FIFA should be great too now that there's party chat. Someone needs to decide on a name for the club though...