General Gaming Thread

TKz

As someone that's played all of them, I'd go Shadow of Mordor > Alien > Diablo > Destiny.

Raise Destiny if you have friends who'll regularly be playing it with you and lower Alien if you're not a fan of horror games.

Diablo is entirely dependent on how much you enjoy loot driven games. If you're not into that scene, it's not going to be worth your time.

Alien is basically out right away. It's a bit long for what it is to begin with, and to be reductive, you're being chased around by an alien for twenty hours. Regardless of whether you think it's effective/scary, it's not really replayable a second time.

Nooooot really. You don't have the Alien on you the whole time, there's other dangers - and a section that removes the Alien only to add it back into the mix later. There's also Survivor Mode which has 6 months of DLC support incoming as well. The alien itself never does the same thing twice, so you can play an area a number of times and never have the same thing happen.

Fair enough. I was a bit harsh, and I really want to like Alien: Isolation, but I'd say all three other games have more longevity/replayability. And from all indications of the first DLC the DLC isn't going to change up the formula of the main game.

Even when you aren't being chased by the Xenomorph you're sneaking about hiding from androids/humans and barely surviving. It's a horror game in the vein of Amnesia. Which is good for what it's trying to do and it is so damned atmospheric and tense. But even if it isn't scripted, it still boils down to tring to avoid things, whether they are the Xenonorph, humans, or androids. And that's awesome for one playthrough. Maybe even two. But Alien doesn't have the replayability/longevity that a loot-driven game or more dynamic, system-driven game like SoM has. And it doesn't need to, really. But if we're looking for replayability/longevity out of that list, Alien is #4 to me.

Thanks guys... I have to say I absolutely love the look of Alien, so of the 4 that's probably the one I'm most likely to get.

As for the other, I'm leaning towards Diablo but am loathe to buy given that I have the vanilla version on PC and have never really gotten into it. In part due to my highly average PC specs.

It's a game that I've always wanted to get into though and it always struck me as a game that would be more fun just sitting on the sofa and playing away. By all accounts the PS4 version is the best by sone way and clearly offers the most longevity of the 4 games I am looking at. It might be nice to have a game I can just pop in and play without having to think too much.

Destiny is pretty much out to be honest. None of my friends play it and ai don't think I would enjoy it solo.

So it's a definite for Alien I think and then either SoM or Diablo. I'll no doubt end up making a snap decision in store tomorrow and then regret it!!

Thanks for sharing your opinions though guys - much appreciated and helps a bunch.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

• 2 weeks later...

So, an achievement list for Xbox 360 just turned up for GTA San Andreas. Doesn't seem to be any word other than that that I can see like a release date, systems (though you'd expect at least a PS3 release too, if not potentially One/PS4) but...could be neat. Always has confused me why they've put the 'III series' on phones but not home systems other than 'classic' digital versions of the PS2 and Xbox releases on the PSN/360 store. Don't the phone versions have better graphics? Probably not a full massive HD makeover but still, seems like it could be easy money.

Makes me wonder how HDified this will be and if the other two games will come out too.

I just started playing Heavy Rain the other day and so far I'm digging it. I can see where criticisms of it as a QTE event disguised as a game, movie, etc. come from but some of the most suspenseful, emotional moments in any game I've played lately have come from Heavy Rain.

I am kind of stuck though.

I'm playing as Jayden and I have Ethan Mars in custody, and I'm meant to be helping him escape the police station. I have no idea how, though. So far all I've found is that I can go into the interrogation room and turn off the camera, so I did that, but then I spent a good 15 minutes wandering around, looking for objects / people to interact with and not finding much. I can look inside holding cells, try to open the police chief's door, and look at a map on the wall. That's all I've found. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

I just started playing Heavy Rain the other day and so far I'm digging it. I can see where criticisms of it as a QTE event disguised as a game, movie, etc. come from but some of the most suspenseful, emotional moments in any game I've played lately have come from Heavy Rain.

I'm playing as Jayden and I have Ethan Mars in custody, and I'm meant to be helping him escape the police station. I have no idea how, though. So far all I've found is that I can go into the interrogation room and turn off the camera, so I did that, but then I spent a good 15 minutes wandering around, looking for objects / people to interact with and not finding much. I can look inside holding cells, try to open the police chief's door, and look at a map on the wall. That's all I've found. Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Did you use the intercom to tell the guard to take a break?

• Like 1

Did you use the intercom to tell the guard to take a break?

Weird, for some reason the first time through it wasn't showing the intercom as an object I could interact with. I swear it. Anyway, I just finished the game and I have to say..

Pretty early on I jokingly posited that Shelby was the Origami Killer to my friend, and she had said previously that the more I play as Shelby the more mixed feelings I'd have about him. And holy shit, it turns out he is the Origami Killer WTF.

Also, my being absolute shit at QTE events means that Norman Jayden died. :( Shelby, Ethan and Madison all survived, but my favorite character died because I am dreadful at QTEs.

Thats a spoiler that should be IN a spoiler. (due to the nature of the game)

To me, it was one of the most powerful experiences you can have as a gamer. The sheer what the fuckery of what a man would do to move on, the mystery of the red herrings...

I strongly suggest getting the dlc and playing that.

I should add too, that heavy rain is a rare game that played BETTER to me with the Move than the controller. Very intuitive.

I'm on a PS1 binge and I'm just buying a load of games from eBay. I'd love (if you guys could be so kind to give me) some recommendations of games to buy. I don't really have any specifics. Fun ones, I guess! Games that I'd enjoy (not that you'd know which ones I'd enjoy)!

Crash Bash, it's a better version of Mario Party.

Crash Team Racing, also great. Stands up today, as well.

Breath of Fire IV, Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 7 & 8 if you like JRPG's.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2!

• Like 2

Do you have a PS3 or Vita? Some of the best games, like Tomba (or Tombi, as it was called here in Europe) and Kula World, are much, much cheaper to buy digitally. Otherwise, Metal Gear Solid, the Crash Bandicoot games and some of the old WWF titles ought to be reasonably cheap.

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2!

Have fun shopping for those on eBay. :shifty:

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2!

Have fun shopping for those on eBay. :shifty:

$700 for Final Fantasy VII is just ridiculous. I looked them up when I really wanted to play them and read that the PC ports were horrible.