Battle Royale

Blehschmidt

Novel was the best of the three for BR for me. Absolutely loved the characters in the novel more than either the manga or the movie. Movie didn't feel like it truly developed much on anyone (although I still loved it to death), and the manga was great but as has been said towards the end there it really flew off the handle. Spoilers in case somehow anyone here hasn't read the story yet, but...

Kiriyama's DBZ-style fight with Sugimura was just... I mean yeah it was cool but it was so out-of-place that it was a total what-the-fuck moment for me. Sugimura pulls some energy ki bullshit, actually masters it, and Kiriyama just watches and goes "Oh so that's how it's done" and perfects it even faster just to kill him with it.

I didn't care much for the whole "chosen one" bit either. Give me an innocent child Kiriyama who gets fucked by a wreck, sure, but "daddy said I was the chosen one" was just... uuuuuugh.

Anyway, never read Hunger Games but damn does the trailer have me interested. I would still pay good money to see an American Battle Royale-- though I'm not entirely certain how they'd pull it off-- but if Hunger Games does as well and is as good as it's being hyped to be, I can see it being on the horizon too.

I preferred the book over the other's; I always liked the idea of Kawada and Kiriyama being an actual part of the class versus "Surprise, now you also have to deal with these two obviously dangerous individuals". Plus we get a little bit of development on the characters, instead of "Oh, here's some clown on a bike. Oh look, he has a bullet proof vest. Oh damn, Kiriyama was hiding, oh well".

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Cannot upvote this enough.

After the first time I saw Battle Royale, I screamed it whenever anything tragic happened in a movie or a video game. Almost got punched in the face when I screamed it during Aeris' death. :shifty:

It's okay and I like the premise. Not a huge fan of the execution of the movie. As far as over-rated movies of the last 10 years and where I'd actually put them: I'd go Anchorman>Nolan's Batmans>Donnie Darko>Inception>Battle Royale>Napoleon Dynamite>Lost in Translation.

It has by far the best premise but nothing resonates or really interests me. I've watched it maybe four times and I don't think it's that it has some subtle nuance I've missed.

That I would agree with. It's been a long time since I put BR on a favorite films list and that's because the concept is miles more amazing than the execution (of the three, I think the book does the best job of being a complete story; I think the book is the definitive canon with the manga being good for supplementary character backstory). I would actually love to see an American remake if it had the right screenwriter/director, but it probably wouldn't.

That I would agree with. It's been a long time since I put BR on a favorite films list and that's because the concept is miles more amazing than the execution (of the three, I think the book does the best job of being a complete story; I think the book is the definitive canon with the manga being good for supplementary character backstory). I would actually love to see an American remake if it had the right screenwriter/director, but it probably wouldn't.

I think some kind of mini-series or TV series would work a lot better. My biggest problem with the film is that there wasn't much in the way of character for a lot of the kids, which really could have been fleshed out better if they didn't have to fit it into 1:30-2 hours.

• Like 1

It's okay and I like the premise. Not a huge fan of the execution of the movie. As far as over-rated movies of the last 10 years and where I'd actually put them: I'd go Anchorman>Nolan's Batmans>Donnie Darko>Inception>Battle Royale>Napoleon Dynamite>Lost in Translation.

It has by far the best premise but nothing resonates or really interests me. I've watched it maybe four times and I don't think it's that it has some subtle nuance I've missed.

Whoa whoa whoa... Donnie Darko is great, especially the directors cut. A prime example of music really making a difference in a movie.

• 3 weeks later...

Issent BR already Mainstream? Ok the mass media issentall over it because it´s just to brutal. But in my genneration and the kids younger than me... it´s a movie everyone knows even if they are at a age were they should not.

Btw. have you guys ever seen "Series 7: The Contenders"? It´s an american realety tv take on the "kill everyone to win" idea. I liked it a lot even if it´s only at 6.8 on IMDB.