Movies you love, starring actors you hate

zero

Man, I don't know. I don't hate a lot of actors? I usually hate the movies they choose to be in. Like, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind maybe counts for Jim Carrey and it definitely did when I watched it for the first time, but now I actually like him and just don't like his movies.

• Like 1

Dude, if Chris Evans counts as a star in Scott Pilgrim, then...

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Zach Galifianakis. Hate most of what he does, loved him here.

However, in actual lead roles:

Almost anything with Martin Lawrence. I hate his acting in practically everything, but the people that surround him in the roles that he plays pick up the slack for him, and in spite of his limited acting skills, he actually manages to accept roles in movies with decent plots. I seriously watch his films for the supporting cast. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I've repeatedly watched Blue Streak because of Luke Wilson and Bill Forsythe. Which is probably why I hated National Security. It was Martin Lawrence with a crap supporting cast, which means it's all Martin Lawrence. Screw that.

Independence Day - Jeff Goldblum. In practically every other film (the Jurassic Park films included), he seemed like a total hindrance. Anybody see Man of the Year with Robin Williams? Goldblum actually made a barely watchable movie (thank you Laura Linney and Christopher Walken) in to a movie that I couldn't stand. Somehow, though, his personal take on acting worked in this film. Go figure.

I'm sure there's more, but there you are for now.

EDIT: Because I'm a moron who can't keep actors named Martin straight.

Platoon, Wall Street and Major League, all because of Charlie Sheen. I find his acting to be similar to Keanu Reeves, only if Keanu had a couple cups of coffee before the take.

I'm really trying to think of other examples.

Even though Martin Short was brought up (amid confusion between him and Martin Lawerence), I liked both Captain Ron and The Three Amigos. Martin Short annoys me because of two movies he did, the first one being that one where he was a kid or something (like, he was playing a kid. In the 90s.), the other being A Simple Wish. Ah Clifford, that's the movie where he plays a ten year old kid. That was made in the 90s.

I changed my post. And thought of somebody else.

Angels With Dirty Faces - Humphrey Bogart. That's right, I said it. I just don't like Bogey's acting. I can't even enjoy Casablanca because of him, and apparently that performance won him an Oscar. But I loved this film.

• 2 weeks later...

Terminator Salvation - Christian Bale brings this movie down for me. I love the movie but in most roles he feels...I dunno he just pisses me off. I dont believe him in any of his roles besides The Prestige which I really enjoyed.

National Treasure - Nicholas Cage is the acting world's equivilent of a hooker. He'll do anything for the right amount of money. Season of the Witch strikes me as one of the absolute worst he's done. I USED to like him alot. When he was playing roles in movies like Face-Off and The Rock. National Treasure is watchable because of the supporting cast. Especially in the second one with Ed Harris and Jon Voight whom are both superb actors and can pull any movie from the depths.

Anything Jim Carrey does actually aggrivates me but I found The Truman Show to have been a decent movie and probably would've been a really good movie if done by someone better than...Jim Carrey.

It's the same kind of premise as to why Cast Away wouldn't have worked with an actor that isn't of Tom Hanks's ilk. If you put Jim Carrey in Cast Away, well you'd have needed to have carved your own eyes and ears out to get the visions and sounds from that movie out of your head then.

I'll say something that I might get heat for too

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight - I actually severely dislike Christian Bale in these two movies. These are two terrific movies but mostly due to the cast surrounding him, including Liam Neeson, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman and more. I just really dont like Christian Bale almost at all lol. But these movies are still awesome.

I used to feel this way about Leo DiCaprio. I liked stuff like Catch Me If You Can, but I absolutely hated his smug little face, but in recent years he's changed my opinion and became what I'd say one of the best actors in the world right now, ever since the Departed he's been on fire so I tolerate a lot more of his earlier stuff now.

Nicholas Cage describes his acting style as "nouveau shamanic". How can you hate the guy?

I can forgive Jackman a lot of stuff because The Prestige was so fucking good, and he was even really good in it. Quite possibly my favourite film ever.

Someone else who was in it was Christian Bale. He is awesome. He's a fantastic actor, he just sometimes, most times, really doesn't give a shit which is a shame.