2012 MLB Thread

Terry Collins again loads up on weak hitting right handed hitters against a lefty starter and, again, they lose.

And then to make it worse he brings Dickey in from the bullpen in the 9th inning for no reason. He promptly gives up a 2 run bomb. Dickey's chase for the Cy Young is pretty much the only reason left to watch the Mets at this point but even that is pretty much getting buried.

Terry Collins again loads up on weak hitting right handed hitters against a lefty starter and, again, they lose.

And then to make it worse he brings Dickey in from the bullpen in the 9th inning for no reason. He promptly gives up a 2 run bomb. Dickey's chase for the Cy Young is pretty much the only reason left to watch the Mets at this point but even that is pretty much getting buried.

It's as if Collins thought they were just missing one thing from last night's thwarted comeback, so he plugged Dickey in and hoped for the best. It was a gutsy performance from the Mets tonight, but that bomb off of Dickey was the knockout punch. Even Jansen's jitters couldn't help 'em.

You should be used to the Mets collapsing in the second half of the season by now. It happens every year.

Sandy Alderson has not been a good GM. I don't understand why the media suck up to him constantly. The only positive thing he's done is the Wheeler for Beltran trade...and guess what? Every GM in baseball would have made that no brainer trade if they were in the same position the Mets were in last year.

All of the other prospects Mets fans are clinging on to? Wheeler, Mejia, Familia, Flores, Den Dekker, etc? All acquired during the Minaya era. The young guys like Davis, Murphy, Valdespin, etc. that are giving the fans hope for the future? Also Minaya guys.

Sandy has yet to acquire a good player at the Major League level. The best he's gotten is Tim Byrdak who, while I like him, is a dime a dozen lefty reliever. Sandy spent weeks saying they'd acquire a reliever only to sit on his hands. Now the season has fallen apart and it's not even worth making a trade. But hey! It'll save the Wilpons more money. I'm sure they'll love that.

Whatever. I'm not wasting any more beautiful summer days sitting inside watching this team. Stick a fork in 'em.

I like this move for the Yankees and I'm surprised no one else was at least willing to kick the tires. They're adding about 2.5m in salary which is minimal, they're giving up two complete nothing minor leaguers (and I know this from when Danny Farquhar was with the Blue Jays, then the centre-piece of a really fun game of waiver hot potatoes with the Athletics). And in return they get a guy who, if ratio stats are to be believed, has absolutely gotten unlucky this year. His line drive rate of 25.6% ties him with Curtis Granderson for 6th in the majors, he's hitting less ground balls than recent history and with the increase in fly balls it's not unreasonable to believe that the BP porch they have out there at Yankee Stadium could turn some of those into home runs. Actually his peripherals actually look astonishingly similar to Robinson Cano's. Couple that with the defensive value he still provides and it's not unreasonable to assume that not only will he be a sizeable upgrade over Dewayne Wise but also perhaps a reasonable facsimile of Brett Gardner down the stretch.

Who trades the face of their franchise to the opponent they're scheduled to face that night? Hey Seattle fans, we're trading your most beloved player and you get to watch him beat your team the same night! Enjoy!

• Like 2

Who trades the face of their franchise to the opponent they're scheduled to face that night? Hey Seattle fans, we're trading your most beloved player and you get to watch him beat your team the same night! Enjoy!

I don't even know. I'm proud of the Mariners fans who went for being so respectful of Ichiro, who absolutely deserves this opportunity to actually maybe play in a World Series and actually win stuff. But the "I'd like to see him one last time" that some people have put forth makes zero sense to me, and there's sort of an air of depressing resignation to the fact that the Mariners are shit.

Of course, being a sports fan in Seattle is pretty much all about trying to enjoy yourself in the face of inevitable disappointment (unless you're a WNBA fan, which almost nobody is which is the punchline to the whole thing).

The Infante pick up for Detroit adds them much needed depth where they need it most, and acquiring Sanchez gives them yet another arm. Apparently Dempster will hold off on going to Atlanta unless he gets an extension, it might just be posturing but it's interesting nonetheless.

Pittsburgh and Oakland are both trying to get Chase Headley out of San Diego.

It's only a matter of time until Texas gets Greinke or Hamels from what I read this morning. They have too many trade chips at the minor league level not to make something happen.

Also, the Orioles are apparently seeing what they have to give up for Polanco, LaHair, or the aforementioned Headley. They could probably work out a deal for Polanco that would only cost a small bit, LaHair is under control until 2017 so Chicago can have a pretty steep price on him, and Headley will cost a top prospect and since Bundy & Machado are untouchable there's really nobody in the O's system besides Schoop, Matusz, and Tillman who would be available in discussions.

Guest mr. potato head

Of course, being a sports fan in Seattle is pretty much all about trying to enjoy yourself in the face of inevitable disappointment.

So much like living in Seattle then? -_-