The 2012 Summer Transfer Window thread

Lineker

It's a psychological thing too though isn't it? It's all been blah blah star players dont go to Man Utd anymore, they can't afford the best but here is the best striker in the country it'll give everyone a kick up the backside...can't wait for the season to kick off now

Not sure Berbatov will actually leave at all, he's on silly money at United and pretty much guaranteed to get a contract back in Bulgaria (or a higher paid league) no matter how many times he plays this season.

The only way I see him leaving is on loan but even then it'll probably be overseas, I just don't see United agreeing to loan him to Spurs unless they think he'll knock a few points off their title rivals.

I honestly do. I liked our balance going forward last season, Hernandez, Rooney, Welbeck, Young, Nani and Valencia are all under 27 and all looked good in bursts last year. I just feel that with RVP and Rooney in the same squad, Hernandez and Welbeck won't get as many chances.

I'd have actually prefered us to have spent that £24m on an extra midfielder and defender aswell.

Still, I hope I'm proved wrong.

That's an interesting idea actually. Loaning him could well benefit United cos you wouldn't expect Spurs to make a title challenge, but they are capable of beating top 4 teams. A loan where Berba can't play against United isn't a terrible idea for United. Won't happen, but interesting logic.

People actually have bad feelings about this? I'd be beyond excited if I was a United fan.

Definitely. I'm beyond excited and I'm not even a United fan. Gives them a quality strike force if they decide to drop Rooney back and play Welbeck up with RVP.

That's an interesting idea actually. Loaning him could well benefit United cos you wouldn't expect Spurs to make a title challenge, but they are capable of beating top 4 teams. A loan where Berba can't play against United isn't a terrible idea for United. Won't happen, but interesting logic.

I tried. I really really did.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnngh!

Berbatov_375683a.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure Berbatov will actually leave at all, he's on silly money at United and pretty much guaranteed to get a contract back in Bulgaria (or a higher paid league) no matter how many times he plays this season.

The only way I see him leaving is on loan but even then it'll probably be overseas, I just don't see United agreeing to loan him to Spurs unless they think he'll knock a few points off their title rivals.

Berba will leave. We extended his contract this year solely so we got a fee for him in the summer, rather than letting him go for free. Plus he does genuinely seems like he really wants to play football and won't be happy warming the bench for another year. There'll be teams willing to take him on as the window draws to a close as they'll be in a stronger position to negotiate a better fee with United as we will be more desperate to get him off the books, and lower wages with Berba as he'll want to move on and get his career going again.