Cardiff City to be rebranded!

Dan

_60716646_cardiff_rebrand_combo624.jpg

Cardiff City are to go ahead with amended plans to rebrand the club from blue to red and an investment promise from their Malaysian owners.The decision was taken during talks between board members on Tuesday.

Cardiff's owners also revealed the extent of their new major investment into the club.

"We are only too aware that the change of colour is a radical move," said Cardiff City chief executive Alan Whiteley.

Cardiff City released a statement confirming that Malaysian investors Tan Sri Vincent Tan and Dato Chan Tien Ghee have pledged their commitment to the club.

It also confirmed a major rebranding from blue to red, unveiled a new red home strip, a proposal to expand Cardiff City Stadium, plans to upgrade the club's training facilities and plans to clear the historical debt to the Langston Corporation, which is represented by former Cardiff owner Sam Hammam.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18324804

0,,10335~10919792,00.jpg

Tons of cash, no more debt, improved facilities etc but for a change of identity.

Worth it?

I'm as down with tradition as the next guy, but this is a clean slate...potentially with some luck the lower-league version of Man City. I don't see how you can turn away clearing the debt, improving the facilities, expanding the stadiums etc.

I'm as down with tradition as the next guy, but this is a clean slate...potentially with some luck the lower-league version of Man City. I don't see how you can turn away clearing the debt, improving the facilities, expanding the stadiums etc.

I agree... the fans don't - http://www.ccmb.co.uk/fudforum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=1&rid=0

It's happened enough in the past for it to be a shock to anyone. The owners are sorting out the debt, it's their club and they've got good reasons for doing it. Plus it was a nice touch to keep the bird on the badge and retain blue as an away kit for any fans who desperately want to wear those colours.

Was the "Fire and Passion" motto always there or is that new? Seems like the only bit that could backfire with fans.

I like the way that it was presented as a discussion after the initial reaction, but following a discussion YESTERDAY they already have a kit ready.

Strange one really, if the investment doesn't appear there'll be uproar. As someone who happily ignores the fact I now walk into Sports Direct Arena every other week I think I'd struggle to accept a major change to the kit I've been watching for decades. Red and blue stripes...

I can't see the problem, if they'd changed their name to the Cardiff Dragons or whatever it was they'd planned on doing then yeah, that's too far but from time to time clubs have rebranded themselves for one reason or another. I just hate that this has happened to a set of dicks like Cardiff.

I don't see why it's s bad thing. Football fans are quite conservative in how they view their clubs in some ways so it shouldn't surprise me that fans dislike it. But they'll get over it if Cardiff have a good season.

I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a Cardiff fan who dislikes the idea of a rebrand. The rentention of the bluebird at the bottom of the new crest...I'm not sure if it would really a) please me to see it still there in some fashion, or b) piss me off because it smacks of superficial placation.

It also reminds me slightly of the act of carrying the head of your vanquished foe on a pike during your victory parade as the peasants watch on. :shifty:

• Like 1

I don't see why it's s bad thing. Football fans are quite conservative in how they view their clubs in some ways so it shouldn't surprise me that fans dislike it. But they'll get over it if Cardiff have a good season.

My cold, calculating finance mind agrees with you completely, but my football supporting mind still isn't sure on it. Random foreign investment will come and go, but those Cardiff fans have been wearing blue for decades, and in an age where players, managers, owners, grounds and badges change frequently what more do they have than their colours? I know Leeds changed, but I can't think of many others.

Like I say, I don't disagree, but I wouldn't want it to happen to my club so I'm certainly not going to knock those Cardiff fans who don't. Some things are more important than finance and success.

I'm aware English teams rarely change anything about their appearance from year-to-year, and what they do isn't really significant. It's good for the club since it probably will spike sales of merchandise with the new look much more than just the revealing of a new kit for the season. When American sports teams completely overhaul their look it is met with an increase in sales.

And the supporters won't mind the day they get promoted to the Premier League.

The thing is though, they proposed this a month ago, and when the fans weren't keen on it, they dropped it. You wake up this morning and they've done it anyway?

I'm not a massive football fan by any means, but I have a fair few friends who have season tickets for Cardiff. A few of them basically agree that for £100m, they don't mind. And looking at the red kit, yes it looks fine. But I seriously can't condone the badge, mainly because it looks really amateurish as if someone made it on Clip-Art. I actually didn't like their badge, I much preferred the more updated one with the St. David's cross, but that had been their badge for years before.

I don't see why they couldn't have either had the red kid as the away kit (traditionally it's black & yellow), or kept the blue kit but with flashes of red on it like a French shirt may do. Don't know what happens now when the fans chant "BLOOOBIIIRRRDDDDSSSSSS".

And no, "Fire & Passion" hasn't been around at all before.

Liverpool just changed their club crest for the first time in 20 years and fans complained because it removed the Hillsborogh flames. People got upset that Dalglish was sacked just because he is Kenny Dalglish.

Things change. Things have to change. Fans can get over it and will not care if they're a Premier League team in a year or two.

It's not like they've done a Wimbledon. So hopefully it will not be a problem. The new kit looks well and so does the badge and it's nice they've kept the original on it too. If it gets them out of financial problems and improves the facilities then its good news for the football as well as the town. Red is a lot better than blue. It all adds a little Welsh feel to the club.

From an outsider I think it makes great business sense, but if the Leeds home kit was changed to orange (I realise we've only had the white for 50 years) I don't think I'd be too happy with it. Think Cardiff will look like a knock off of Wrexham