Chelsea Manager Sackings Thread

stokeriño

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2986865/title/statement-on-roberto-di-matteo

STATEMENT ON ROBERTO DI MATTEO

Posted on: Wed 21 Nov 2012

Chelsea Football Club has parted company this morning with Manager Roberto Di Matteo.

The team's recent performances and results have not been good enough and the owner and the Board felt that a change was necessary now to keep the club moving in the right direction as we head into a vitally important part of the season.

The club faces a difficult task ahead in qualifying for the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as well as maintaining a strong challenge for the top of the Premier League while competing in three other cup competitions. Our aim is to remain as competitive as possible and challenge strongly on all fronts.

The owner and the Board would like to thank Roberto for all he has done for the club since taking over in March. Roberto helped guide us to an historic Champions League victory and a seventh FA Cup. We will never forget the huge contribution he has made to this club's history and he will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge.

The club will be making an announcement shortly regarding a new first team manager.

The press say Guardiola if possible, Rafa as interim if not.

Rafa (supposedly) rejected a short-term deal after AVB last season. I cannot really see why he would want it now, unless a) he's paid much more money than was previously being offered, and/or b) he actually gets a say in our January transfer window dealings.

Both of which, of course, would only serve to make the prospect even more horrible than it already is. Chelsea fans would explode - remember the chants when AVB was sacked last season?

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE,

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HEEERRREE,

FUCK OFF BENITEZ,

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE

And as for Pep...well, as I already said in the CL thread, I still believe he'll be exposed very, very quickly once he gets a job that doesn't involve the Barca squad.

Of course either way, Chelsea's results will get dramatically better post February no matter who's in charge...FOR NO OBVIOUS REASON.

I wonder if this means that The Mighty Eddie Newton will be calling the shots from the dugout against City this Sunday? :shifty:

Can see Rafa coming in until the end of the season. Ridculous really, Chelsea are never gonna get anywhere if they keep sacking managers.

It's stupid I agree (especially on a financial basis), but this is a little bit of a stretch considering the trophies that have been won in the years after Mourinho's 2007 sacking, when this merry-go-round really got into gear...

Can see Rafa coming in until the end of the season. Ridculous really, Chelsea are never gonna get anywhere if they keep sacking managers.

It's stupid I agree (especially on a financial basis), but this is a little bit of a stretch considering the trophies that have been won in the years after Mourinho's 2007 sacking, when this merry-go-round really got into gear...

Chelsea have won trophies since Mourinho, but in my opinion they should've won a lot more, especially with the sort of financial backing that most clubs in the World can only dream of.

Whether that would be true in the long term, he's only permanently been in charge since the summer and has basically rebuilt the side... yet he gets sacked after the first slightly off-ish patch? :/

I don't think anyone's in doubt of this being utterly dickish.

I will be at the City game on Sunday and expect a tonne of "only one Di Matteo" chants.

Jamie Howard ‏@JamieHowardHaha

Di Matteo lasted two seasons.... Those two seasons were Spring and Summer.

Smudger Smith ‏@smudgersmithpro

People say it's harsh to sack Di Matteo but don't forget they haven't actually won anything since May.

Barry Collins ‏@bazzacollins

If you had Di Matteo's record on Football Manager and were sacked, you'd report it as a bug.

Barry Collins ‏@bazzacollins

If you had Di Matteo's record on Football Manager and were sacked, you'd report it as a bug.

Not if I were managing Chelsea I wouldn't. :P

Latest idea is Avram Grant back in for ITERIM JOB TWO POINT OH. I don't think it's possible to fully convey my level of bemusement at this idea but I'll have a go:

:/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

:/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/ :/

(*initially tried for 100 but forgot the post emoticon limit*)