Oscar Pistorius convicted of murdering his girlfriend

Just read this article on BBC Sport about SA sportspeople getting caught up in crime and how bad it is over there. Led me to read into the Rudi Visagie and it makes me think "what if it's so easy to get in the mental state where Pistorius' story actually becomes credible?".

Of course, the crime levels are why his house is a secure compound with security guards who for some reason weren't around that night. There are also a lot of differences between the stories as a starting point. One of them is "shit the cars going, grab gun fire from balcony" and the other involves running several laps of a flat shouting to several people and not getting any responses and firing at someone whom even if it was a perceived burglary threat was cornered and wouldn't do anything but sit tight until the police turn up.

Perception of crime is very high in SA (remember all of the "DO NOT GO TO THE WORLD CUP IT'S NOT SAFE DAMNIT!" media coverage?) and I can understand an element of caution and worst case scenario theorising but it doesn't solve the other holes in the story.

That's what I was thinking. I can't tell if the media are hyping up the crime in SA or if its actually as bad as its portrayed.

I'm not going there to find out.

It obviously gets a lot of media attention. But the statistics are there, and they're really bad.

It's surely no coincidence that SA has one of the greatest income disparities in the world.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Any company that tries to profit off of tragedy is disgusting.

With regards to the trial and Pistorius, I can see him being found not guilty of murder, but guilty of... I dunno... manslaughter if South Africa has such an offence, or at least have his defence (I thougt she was a robber/burgler/trespasser/kidnapper) as a strong mitigating factor because, y'know, South Africa.