PFA Player & Young Player of the Year 2013

stokeriño

It makes sense that Man United's best two players this season are featured(Carrick and RVP), I have a lot of time for Welbeck and think he's done his bit this season but he doesn't belong in that list- Swansea City need players up there and if you're going to go the Man Utd route then Rafael & De Gea were better options than Welbeck.

Wilshere hasn't done much either

Feels weird that Eden Hazard can be nominated for something like this after all he achieved last season

This is Hazard's first season in the Premier League though and he's only just 22, by any standards imaginable, he should be eligible.

22 isn't especially young for a footballer any more, though. I don't see the point in giving a 22 year old a whole separate award for having a good season when they've probably been playing for at least 4 years, maybe even 5. Surely the whole point of a young player award is to recognise somebody who's stood out out as having had a particularly good season because of their young age - eg Lukaku, Nastasic. Hazard's won a league title and won that league's player of the year award for the last two years running. Obviously with its current eligibility rules he should be nominated, but that's why I think it should be changed - it's not really surprising to see somebody aged 22 have a great season when we've had guys like Ronaldo and Fabregas among the league's best at that age in the past few years.

I do like the idea of a sash.

Or really, I'd like if a winner behaved like a heel King of the Ring winner and smugly paraded his trophy everywhere for the entirety of the following season.

Now we're talking. A William Regal style throne! When the players line up for the handshakes the POTY could sit on the throne in the centre circle and the opposition players have to kiss a ring on his finger and bow.

I'm a big fan of Welbeck but his season hasn't been anywhere near good enough to warrant a nomination. Puts in a lot of work but needs to improve his finishing and final ball next season.

If I could pick the winners I'd go for Suarez (Hate the guy but has probably been the most consistent over the full season) and Benteke (What a beast).

No Michu :lol:

That's pretty embarrassing really. Hazard in ahead of Michu? Good fucking god. Why Hazard is even in the running either is quite baffling. Wilshire on the Young Player award isn't far off being as mental too. No Rafael? No De Gea? As good as Welbeck has actually been at times for us this season, there's not a chance he should be getting in ahead of those two.

Well deserved for Carrick though. Has there been a better midfielder this season? Tough to think of one.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

That's pretty embarrassing really. Hazard in ahead of Michu? Good fucking god. Why Hazard is even in the running either is quite baffling. Wilshire on the Young Player award isn't far off being as mental too. No Rafael? No De Gea? As good as Welbeck has actually been at times for us this season, there's not a chance he should be getting in ahead of those two.

Well deserved for Carrick though. Has there been a better midfielder this season? Tough to think of one.

YayaToure_1509466a.jpg

• Like 1

YayaToure_1509466a.jpg

Yeah, no.

Difficult to take Lampard seriously as a pick. His form has been patchy due to a combination of rotation (historically the more games Lampard plays in a season, the better he gets) and his adjusting to a deeper role. Not to mention, of course, that he's nowhere near his own best either - and who wants another Ryan Giggs style 'not-really-for-this-year-but-you've-had-a-great-career-I-guess' fluffed award?

And I know it can sometimes be difficult to compare different types of midfielders (let alone comparing them to strikers or defenders etc.)...but in my mind Cazorla's role on the pitch is so similar to Mata's that the mere presence of one on the list precludes the other on the basis that, in any given season's performance, one can be immediately discounted as the worse of the pair. And Cazorla has been completely blown away by Mata this season.

I mean seriously. BOOM, OUT OF THE WATER.

I agree with your point about Cazorlas performances but in my opinion, without him, Arsenal wouldn't even be in contention for a Champions League place.

Although that might just be a testament to how shit Arsenal have been more than anything else.

YayaToure_1509466a.jpg

Yeah, no.

It's not even close.

YayaToure_1509466a.jpg

Yeah, no.

It's not even close.

I know.

Yaya hasn't been at his best this season, while Carrick has for a large part single handedly driven our midfield and been arguably our key player this season, while playing in every single league game too. Carrick has been immense this season, but it's no surprise that he still goes unnoticed to some people.

None of that's a knock on Toure either, fantastic player, been brilliant for a good part of this season, but Carrick has certainly had the better season.