Football Manager TV Show Idea

Jimmy

I'm not really sure where this belongs, but I thought I'd just plonk it here. I'm really enjoying The Thick of It and I loved the only season of Studio 60, and a long time ago, I came up with the (probably very unoriginal) idea of doing something very similar but based in the world of football, seeing how a football club is run behind the scenes. It seems like it could work - there's clearly enough drama and I think, over a series, you could do a lot with it.

But I don't know how I can put myself in a position where I can realistically know what it's like. Are there any good articles that go into detail how a football club is run. I've seen the QPR documentary, and I think I've got a solid idea of how things work, but do you think I've got any hope in hell of getting a football club to take me on in some form of work experience? And even if I did, I can't imagine them letting me anywhere near seeing how transfer business is done.

Not sure what I'm trying to get at - but does anyone have some advice, or offer suggestions, or just to let me know out right if they think it's an idea I could flesh out. I could always try and write a rough draft, pitch to a company, and see if they'll help me sort out how I can take it further and get more accurate. Just trying to be productive for once and any help's appreciated.

• Like 1

Yeah, but I'd argue politicians are hardly known for their wit, either, so I'm sure there's a solid mix of comedy and drama to be found in the goings on of a football club. And a realistic approach to the running of a football club is what I'd be aiming for, but obviously with heightened drama and comedy, but yeah, grounded in realism. Not much like dream team. :shifty:

I reckon just try to watch as many of the inside documentaries as possible. The Four Year Plan, Being Liverpool, Big Ron Manager or any other insider ones are probably as close as you're going to get without getting permission to be at a club. Hell even watch Hard Knocks, that's easily closest you'll ever see of the atmosphere in a professional sporting environment.

Read the book that that Secret Footballer chap wrote. Read his articles for the Gurniad.

Gianluca Vialli wrote a book about agents and all the other dealings that tend to be overlooked. It's called The Italian Job. It's very good.

Maybe try and interview a few ex-players. There's loads of them, after all.

Or you could watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UMFaESVxLk&feature=player_embedded#t=0

• Like 2

There are a few interesting documentaries, Accrington Stanley: Exactly might be worth checking out if you can find it on youtube. There's the one about Leyton Orient as well with John Sitton going mental at his players at half time. England- Do I not like that as well I'd recommend which follows the England team under Graham Taylor during the qualification campaign for the 1994 World Cup.

Dream Team was a amazing but a little ridiculous in retrospect. The two coach crashes that wiped out the entire team, the plane crash that Leon Richards died on, the misfiring Wembley sniper (RIP John Black :crying:), Clyde Connoly's suicide, Jamie Parker holding the entire team hostage, Marcel Sabatier posioned to death, Luke Davenport being kicked blind by John Terry, Jason Porter random fan and best player ever etc.

I was still a massive fan though and I'm sure there's even more ludicrous moments that I can't remember from the top of my head!

Don't remember an Italian from memory but there was loads of cases of somebody banging another players wife.

I used to be love Dream Team and am sure my old Karl Fletcher shirt still fits lying around somewhere... On the acty side it was yet another of those cases where camera angles miss me as I was one of the extras at the Southend friendly where Tire Boy was revealed to be the clubs saviour. I do miss the absurd storylines of that, there was an American Football version which I think only lasted one series (there was, Playmakers). Maybe Friday Night Lights would be a more recent sporty soap series to get into.

That or Sky can put on a new series of the show with Harchester Newco, as much as we used to laugh it's still better than most of the crap they churn out these days.

Edited by lanky316

That seems harsh, even just considering Mad Dogs and A Touch of Cloth Skys original programming is far better than back then. Add to that Stella and The Cafe which the missus seems to like, plus Chickens is watchable, and of course An Idiot Abroad.

That's a step up from Dream Team and, erm... Games World? Apart from mebbe Big Boy Barry, which should get a repeat showing even if just for David Walliams.