The Tekken Thread

Benji

"Strategy" guides don't mean shit. The real info is at websites for a particular game.

:shifty:

Yeah, you have to go to a website to be able to kick everyone's ass in a video game. Some people that use the practice mode only in the game can probably destroy some of the really good guys I know from playing that arcade.

Edited by kale

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually held a Tekken World Championship, and the person who won used Paul Phoenix (I think it was playing Tekken 3, but I could be wrong). He apparently doesn't use the Deathfist, either.

Not sure how he pulled it off, because I couldn't see anyone winning with Paul if they face someone just as good using Gunjack, Law, Lee, Lei, or Jin WITHOUT having to Deathfist.

The only times I ever lost a fight to another player who was using Paul, I was using Bryan Fury or King (only lost to Paul ONCE as King, and that was because they Deathfisted me - I was about 2 hits away from beating them). Using any of the characters mentioned above, I usually fuck up Paul bigtime.

Anyone good using Heihachi should wipe the floor with someone using Paul, too. (I only use Heihachi if I'm playing TTT - I like doing the Headlock attack or the Powerbomb, then switching characters)

People switched to Jin because he is so much better (cheesier) then the rest of the characters in the game.

Annoyingly true. My friend Tom will cheese with Jin continuously until I am forced to break out Julia to kick his ass. <_<

Then he'd move on to 'Whore'-rang...the bitch.

Guest Future Shock

Anybody can namedrop a big fighting game tournament person, doesn't mean  much, really.  Like Jinkid.  He's the reason most people switched over to Jin in Tekken 4.  Or Justin Wong, Daigo, and Ino.  If you've heard of Evolution, you've probably heard of them.  Then there's RTD, he plays SC2, and a bunch of Halo people I don't care to name because I really don't care about that game.  Dan The Nightmare, French,  evil. :-p

So let's stop this mean evilness and play Capcom vs SNK! :D

To know those people, you'd actually have to be in the community at least a little (like maybe visiting the sites for the games). As for JinKid being the reason people switched to jin, that's incorrect. People switched to Jin because he is so much better (cheesier) then the rest of the characters in the game.

If they are low then low parry them, if you are playing a character with a reversal, reverse them. Otherwise try to sidestep and punish or backdash and punish.

Oh it's not that I can't beat him. It's infuriating to watch more than anything else.

"DO...SOMETHING...DIFFERENT...DAMMIT!!"

I seriously doubt a legit world championship tourney was won by paul in TTT. He is so bad in TTT it's not even funny. Deathfist is the only good attack he has in TTT.

In TTT, top tier = Mishima's followed by Orge's, then probably the changs.

Edited by GhostMachine

Are you trying to get on my nerves or something?

I go to sites for fighting games because I like to improve my playing ability and talk with others that go there for the same reason. The practice modes don't give you frame data, when the best situation to apply a move is or strategies for specific character matchups.

As for strategy guides. All they tend to do is give a move list and a few basic, non-specific strategies. They just care about getting your money (you definitely don't get your moneys worth).

Edited by Numbahs

Are you trying to get on my nerves or something?

I go to sites for fighting games because I like to improve my playing ability and talk with others that go there for the same reason. The practice modes don't give you frame data, when the best situation to apply a move is or strategies for specific character matchups.

As for strategy guides. All they tend to do is give a move list and a few basic, non-specific strategies. They just care about getting your money (you definitely don't get your moneys worth).

No, I'm not. Sorry if I sound like a douchebag.

I guess I'm wording things wrong. Playing a fighting game is like poker, basically. Sure you can get the "inside track" by being a website guy and all that happy stuff, but in reality all you really need is a basic grasp of what you are doing and what you have to play with.

I've seen a 4 year old beat a grown man(who looked like he was gonna cry) in DOA3 multiple times in a row. I don't know how it happened to this day(because the guy is really good at it), but she owned him. That kinda gives me faith in the "anyone can win" category.

EDIT: BTW, I have to agree that Jin is a bitch in 4.

If they are low then low parry them, if you are playing a character with a reversal, reverse them. Otherwise try to sidestep and punish or backdash and punish.

Oh it's not that I can't beat him. It's infuriating to watch more than anything else.

"DO...SOMETHING...DIFFERENT...DAMMIT!!"

That used to frustrate me so badly in Tekken 1, we used to get loads of friends around and have big tournaments, and there was this one guy who used Law, and did nothing but the somersault-kick thingy. It got to a point where I had to resort to using Jack's move where he falls forward right at the start of the match to ground him :P

And most of the time I do just use Hwoarangs kicks over again, because I need to against that one guy, but when needed to I can be very good with Hwoarang. Such as the time I owned a really nerdy guy who thought he was the shiznit at Tekken, by getting a perfect, and rarely using the same kick twice.

Hwoarang > Baek, before someone says otherwise >_>

Regarding the DOA series, I'm mad that its X-Box exclusive. I have DOA2 Hardcore for my PS2, though.

That game is pretty cool, because all of the characters have mega-cheap moves. Not just a few of them. But Gen Fu tends to be MEGA-cheap and Kasumi and Hayabusa are a pain in tag mode, if you're playing against the computer.

I usually play as Bayman and Tina if I play in tag mode, for one reason: One of their team moves is....*Joey Styles scream*TOTAL ELIMINATION!!!!*

But if I play solo, I usually use Bass, Bayman or Helena.

Regarding the DOA series, I'm mad that its X-Box exclusive. I have DOA2 Hardcore for my PS2, though.

That game is pretty cool, because all of the characters have mega-cheap moves. Not just a few of them. But Gen Fu tends to be MEGA-cheap and Kasumi and Hayabusa are a pain in tag mode, if you're playing against the computer.

I usually play as Bayman and Tina if I play in tag mode, for one reason: One of their team moves is....*Joey Styles scream*TOTAL ELIMINATION!!!!*

But if I play solo, I usually use Bass, Bayman or Helena.

Edited by kale