Sitting with the opposition fans?

DavidMarrio

Has anyone ever done it at a match? I've been offered a chance to go see Liverpool play United at Old Trafford from a mate in work who has season tickets and I'm really tempted. Obviously I'm not gonna jump up and down or do anything if we score and just stay quiet for the game but was wondering what other peoples experiences and views of it are.

I've done it at Middlesbrough once, suppose it all depends on the game. This one was ages ago and finished 1-0 with a bundled Shola goal so not too much to shout about and no issue with having to 'celebrate' a Boro goal, but it was a different experience really, almost pretending to be a neutral. If its your only option though go for it, just make sure your mate doesn't grass you up...

Actually that reminds me, I went to our first Premier League game shortly before SJP was all season ticket with my dad, his Toon supporting mate and his Spurs supporting son (no logic, he's from Hartlepool). He actually celebrated briefly after Sheringham scored the only goal before realising what he was doing. Luckily no one fancied punching a ten year old.

Yeah, when I went to Canada on holiday, went to a Bluejays game, being used to FOOTBALL games, I got hella confused about all the Yankees fans sitting near us, and nobody saying a thing.

To be honest you could probably make yourself known and 98% of those around you would either not care or engage in good-natured banter. The risk is merely finding yourself sat in front of someone who's been drinking since 10am and is a bit of a cunt even when he's sober.*

Plus if the stewards find out and are in an edgy mood they could well chuck you out as an arbitrary precaution.

(* - If you're in a crowd of West Ham fans, this is all of them.)

This one was ages ago and finished 1-0 with a bundled Shola goal so not too much to shout about and no issue with having to 'celebrate' a Boro goal

Would that even be a thing? I don't even celebrate when my team scores. >_>

Your team never scores

This one was ages ago and finished 1-0 with a bundled Shola goal so not too much to shout about and no issue with having to 'celebrate' a Boro goal

Would that even be a thing? I don't even celebrate when my team scores. >_>

As it turns out, no. I coughed at one point, doubling the decibel level in the stadium.

All the time, in fact, Saturday will be the first Newcastle away game I've been to and sat in the away end.

I did get a few strange looks at Molineux once by screaming 'Penalt...' before realising where I was when a Wolves defender clattered someone in the box.