Is there a need for a new, more simple wrestling sim?

PhilParentRXPW

Hey all.

If the user name looks familiar, yes I used to do data updates for EWR...

And just did a Locations file for TEW 2013. And did a bunch of edits for Fire Pro Wrestling R. ANNNNNDDDDD if you play MLB The Show 13, I've also got a mod of a mod up in their vault for that. 1989, the good ol' days before roids existed *snort*

Anyways....

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking that the Ryland sims of today were too complicated?

I mean, it took skills to make this, no doubt. And it's enjoyable, it really is. But I can't help but feel that there's just too much detail, too much things to run, and at the same time, it sorts of gets repetitive because the gameplay is non-evolutive, it's always the same mechanic you repeat over and over and over... and even though it's not like EWR where you can actually paint-by-number and pretty much get the result you want every time, it's still pretty predictable and playing the game you are never really surprised...

Plus, it is highly moddable, but you need dedicated folks like Genadi and Fleisch and Capt. Charisma to do it because it is so intricate that it is intimidating. It's not like the old days of PW or EWR where pretty much anybody could put their local indy in the game and then share it so people would have it too.

Just polling opinions. Are they too complicated, is there a need for some new freeware perhaps with some new mechanics...anybody has any new ideas... shoot. Or ignore me. Or shoot me.

If you have an Android or iPhone, look up Serious Parody in their app store. **** product.

I actually LOVE the look of this from what I see. Will check out the game mechanics. Lots of potential around wrestling + card games. Wondering if it works like EA's Ultimate Team?

I'm kinda hoping Ryland releases a watered down version of TEW alongside a future release, similar to FM Classic.

I wouldn't hold my breathe. At the same time, I don't know where he can go with TEW... he's got wrestling down to a T pretty much. Wrestling Spirit has lots of potential though. Needs to think outside the box.

Edited by PhilParentRXPW

I don't see how it makes sense to criticise a game like TEW for "non-evolutive", while praising EWR in the same breath.

I also don't get how TEW is too "intimidating" to mod - there's a lot of stats, sure, but there all straightforward enough, and at practically every stage you're given the option to use templates or a fast-track route to creating something, which EWR never offers you. On top of that, being able to import data across different databases means that, in theory, it's much easier, not harder, for somebody who just wants to "add their favourite indy to the game", because they don't have to do it all from scratch.

The reason that there are fewer "dedicated" modders for TEW than there might have been for EWR has nothing to do with how "intimidating" TEW is, it's to do with the fact that it costs money and EWR doesn't. The community is smaller.

TEW is pretty much as good as wrestling sims are going to get. I don't buy into it being "too complicated", because it just isn't. Maybe older versions were, but TEW '13 is less complex than something like Championship Manager, or any other management sim for another sport.

By all means, go ahead and make another wrestling sim, people might be pleasantly surprised. But don't try and present it in contrast to TEW, because it will almost definitely be inferior - particularly as you've given no indication of any prior programming or game design work, so at the moment, all we're going with is "wouldn't it be nice if?", and we've all seen that thread pop up countless times already.

• Like 2

Someone tried this. It was not well received.

Is the topic from this still around? Vaguely remember it and now want to see it again.

I don't feel safe going back and reading it again myself though.

Is the topic from this still around? Vaguely remember it and now want to see it again.

That wasn't the one I was thinking about, but still interesting haha.

Hi Phil, good to see you! Welcome back.

Definitely of the mind that the TEW series was a step too far in detail, but I also appreciate that people love a deep simulation. EWR still scratches my itch because I like a very simple booking interface that lets me fly through shows when I have the compulsion to play. TEW had too many kinks and I was getting very frustrated with the play results more often than not. I was gifted a couple licenses over the years and regrettably made little use of them.

Said all that to say that I actually haven't played TEW13 and Skummy's contention that it's more scaled down and simplified has me interested.

Everybody here discouraged and mocked the Serious Parody guy (that's me included), but god damn, he went out and actually did it and has probably made some coin by now off of it. There are people who will play your game if it's done well and/or comes cheap, so go for it.

• Like 4

Ellis doing the "it wasn't me" Serious Parody was incredible.

Anybody remembers the aborded PWM with Hussein Fazel as head programmer? That didn't go anywhere fast. We did get a demo out, though. 11 years ago.

I'm not thrashing TEW or Adam in any way. I like the game and I like Adam. He gave me work back in the day, and if anything I'm partly responsible for the complexity of the game because RaveX did ask for more detail in the data, and I designed the Storyline system based on theater theory, so if you think THAT'S complicated you can just blame me!

I have bought a book called Head First Java trying to learn how to program but it's just not for me. I'm not smart enough, not patient enough anymore, too old... But lord knows I tried to understand this stuff.

It's just that I was playing NHL 14's Hockey Ultimate Team and I thought that would be an awesome wrestling game in an outside the box sort of way...

Wrestlers/Contracts/Powerups drawn out of packs, so a more random gaming experience... I guess you could have a team of wrestlers going against other teams of wrestlers? In a league? And then a card is like a match in hockey, a card could have 7 matches and the team that wins 4 or more wins and gets the points in the rankings etc...

You could have an online component where you go against other people's teams, and have an open market to sell & buy cards...

Edited by PhilParentRXPW

TEW is way too detailed but one of main things turning me off is the use of letters for stats in game. B+ means nothing to me, give me a number on a measurable scale. Should just be numerically rated like FM.

That being said the whole Daniel Bryan is a solid B thing they have going at the moment would suggest it actually fits

TEW is way too detailed but one of main things turning me off is the use of letters for stats in game. B+ means nothing to me, give me a number on a measurable scale. Should just be numerically rated like FM.

That being said the whole Daniel Bryan is a solid B thing they have going at the moment would suggest it actually fits

You can switch the numbers on in the game, and they have this color code too. If the letter / number turns green then the wrestler in competent in the stat.

Just go to your user preferences and untick "Show stats as grades rather than numbers"

You can switch between numbers and grades in TEW. The game also isn't really that detailed any more - a lot of work went into streamlining TEW2013 so that you could go into detail if you wanted or keep it shallow if that was your preference.