EWB GOTY 2013 - The Results

Plubby

The above "now I shall pretend to engage in agriculture" quote isn't even a mistranslation. The whole point is that he's pretending he's married to Nowi (the creepy little girl who is actually a grown woman and totally talks about wanting sex and it's WEIRD AND CREEPY and also she's a dragon) and the point is that Nowi is really childish and wacky (EWWW) and Lon'qu is uptight and serious.

256px-C5BNWcover.jpg

Civilization V: Brave New World

First released: July 9 2013

On: PC (Available on Steam)

Weighted Score:

10 Nominations, 5.8 Points per Vote.

Civilization is a beloved favourite of EWB, just looking at it's nearly 1300 post thread is proof paid of that. Countless hours of replayability, the chance to make your own hilarious memories and create alternate histories redfining great civilizations (such as my personal favourite accomplishment - the Huns bringing the world to its knees...with their culture.) Brave New World radically redefines one of the primary routes to victory, broadening the entire concept of culture and makes a number of other changes that cements Civ V among the best strategy games of recent years.

Next time: Another beloved EWB franchise, and the last purely-portable place in the countdown.

I'm either getting Fire Emblem or Bravely Default on Friday, not sure which yet, but I'm doubting BD is going to get on the list, so Fire Emblem is probably the better and cheaper choice I'll make :shifty: Civ making the list was always going to happen. This last week has put me on another Civ "one more turn" run thanks to holidays, and I'm dreading going cold turkey for eight and a half hours of work tomorrow :(

Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy since X, Benji. Just to give you an idea of what you're missing out on...! It's basically Final Fantasy IX but I like it. >_> And I think the price for Fire Emblem has yet to drop over here either.

PokemonXBoxart.jpg

Pokemon X and Y

First released: October 12 2013

On: 3DS

Weighted Score:

10 Nominations, 6.1 Points per Vote.

The Pokemon franchise so neatly brackets the growing up of so many of us that is of no real surprise to see the Pokemon title feature somewhere in the list - lest you believed some of the intense Pokemon fans who would have you believe that the series was stuck in a death spiral since Gen 1. This marked a return to form for the franchise, which has been almost universally beloved according to the various opinions i've stumbled across. As the standard for 3DS titles gracing the list, Pokemon stands tallest with its portable brethren to show that if you don't own a 3DS, you probably should fix that.

Next time: In a world with Srar, is it possible to take a franchise *out* of an American-based plot and still have it place well?