EWB GOTY 2013 - The Results

Plubby

I'm so glad someone else understands how great that was. I saw nothing but people shitting on it for being boring, but it was exactly how a fight between Batman and Deathstroke should play out.

I'd really like them to do something less grand next time. A more personal and focused story would be cool. Give me an Under The Red Hood game or something.

It was great because it completely fucks with your expectations for the combat system. If you just spam the counter button a lot instead of timing it right you will get fucked up. I loved it.

LEGO Marvel Heroes is something that I just picked up on the PSN sale - and if I would've had the chance to play it before the list closed out I probably would've had it in a prominent place. I'm massively happy with how the series has went and Marvel was always a "going to happen" thing - it just never really worked out with the DC versions of the game, it never really felt right to me. Then again, I'm more of a Marvel guy.

I played Arkham Origins for about two hours before I realized I was pretty much done with that series of games. Fun and all just.. repetitive and meh at this point.

Rouge Legacy could've been number one on my list on any given day. I was on a real Nintendo high when I made that list, and I kind of regret that now.

Speaking of my Nintendo high - I put Super Mario 3D World pretty high and I gave it great praise but.. it eventually hit Mario apathy levels with me. Still a good game though.

AnimalCrossingNewLeafNABoxart.jpg

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

First released: June 9 2013 (in the West)

On: 3DS

Weighted Score:

4 Nominations, 6.25 Points per Vote.

Technically ineligible as its first release was last year, we'll give it a pass because as near as I can tell we don't have any Japanese members. Lukie just thinks he's Japanese. The DS Animal Crossing I found to be utter dross but I know it has its place in the heart of many of you and it seems that the 3D successor was just as beloved, taking out the 21st spot. Rating in the high 80's among web-review trawlers, it seems that people have fallen in love with the new additions of Hamsters and Deer characters, and a new personality of "smug"....oh. Now I see why it made the list.

Next time: We commence the top 20 with SSSSPOOOOORRRRRTTSSSSS~!

Madden_NFL_25_Next-Gen.jpeg

Madden 25

First released: August 27 2013

On: PS3/4, XBox 360/One, iOS, Android

Weighted Score:

161.3333r

3 Nominations, 7.3333r Points per Vote.

HANDEGG. GOALDOWNS. KELLEN MOORE: PLAYABLE CHARACTER. PLAY IT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZaZQZ5qrk

Madden is a series not without its faults, which is a shame because NCAA is such a wonderful football series. But with NCAA facing sanctions and becoming ineligible from next season, Madden took a giant step forward and earns itself a spot anchoring EWB's top 20 for 2013.

Next time: We dip back into tasty, delicious, indie quirkiness.

I thought that Lego Marvel Super Heroes was wonderful. I like my comic book stuff to be a little on the silly and colourful side, and tend to gel with the Lego games' sense of humour, and I think this is probably the funniest game they've come up with yet. The story is a wonderfully daft, but conceivable, big crossover, the characters are done brilliantly, and there's some insanely niche references to amuse nerds. Also, it lead me to discover "The Menace Of Magneto" from the '70s Fantastic Four cartoon, which is one of my absolute favourite things now. Great game.

I liked Arkham Origins. It was flawed, and the battle gameplay is dull and gets incredibly old very quickly, but I liked it. I didn't play Asylum, and only bits of City, so I'm not too bothered about the main villain being The Joker again, as at least it was a different angle on that. Also, having not particularly played the previous games, I had no gripes about it being samey or in any way inferior - as a standalone Batman game, it was fine. Like Zero said, it's hypocritical to bash this game for being unoriginal when most of the reviewers who did that would most likely praise franchises with just as little change and innovation between games. My favourite part of this game was just the dynamic of the "early years" of Batman; the criminals not quite knowing whether he even exists yet, while the police don't trust him, and Alfred constantly trying to talk him out of it. Alfred basically losing his shit at Bruce Wayne was a fantastic scene, as good as anything Batman-related in any other media in the past few years, and the first time you encounter The Joker, but as a figure you're unfamiliar with, it's genuinely chilling when you have the knowledge of how far he will force Batman to go, psychologically. So...yeah, good story, if nothing overly groundbreaking, and a game that's fun enough to make you want to see what happens next with the plot, if not fun enough to make you play it for playing's sake.

Not played Rogue Legacy.

I've not played Super Mario 3D World yet, but it looks amazing. Not played Animal Crossing yet. Will likely never play Madden.

256px-Don%27t_Starve_cover.jpg

Don't Starve

First released: April 23 2013

On: PC (Available on Steam)

Weighted Score:

2 Nominations, 9 Points per Vote.

One of only a pair of games in the list to receive just two nominations, Don't Starve was beloved by our peers at a rate far exceeding the critics. But this is why we play the games people! Another game that's on discount in the steam sale, you can pick it up for a touch under 7 bucks a pop if you and a friend purchase it. This is a game where the title says all that it needs to - it's a pure form of survival game.

Next time: The list goes medieval.

• Like 1

250px-Crusader_Kings_II_box_art.jpg

Crusader Kings 2: The Old Gods

First released: May 28 2013

Weighted Score:

4 Nominations, 6.5 Points per Vote.

A much beloved EWB favourite received a game-changing update with The Old Gods. Nothing shows "EWB favourite" quite like that someone starts playing it as I was typing this. Enjoy the intrigue of medieval noble life with none of the risk of personal beheadings. Currently on sale on Steam, you can pick up the game and over 50 DLC updates for about $65. Keep up with the chronicles of some of EWB's best, brightest, and metalman in the CK2 thread here in the Coin Op Arcade!

Next time: MORE SPPOORRTTSSSS~!

dragons_zpse98f28ff.jpg

FIFA 14

First released: September 23 2013

On: Oh shit, everything. Except PC.

Weighted Score:

176.3333r

3 Nominations, 7.6667 Points per Vote.

UP THE DRAGONS! I'm led to believe that they're the FIFA 13 (And prior?) team, but the Dragons are the symbol of EWB's devotion to the storied franchise of the beautiful game. Fun fact: I've never bought a current-year version of FIFA. Probably why I suck so bad at it. FIFA 14 was a landmark game by way of allegedly being the first version to drop the name "soccer" from the North American title. Beloved by Yoobers, critics and gamers the world over, it holds up the back end of the middle of our list like a good CDM.

Next time: Thug life.

Don't Starve is gorgeous, and I want to play it more. It's exactly the kind of game I fall in love with these days. I play games less now than I probably ever have, but I tend to find the genre more exciting now than I have in a long time, just in terms of possibilities - the indie gaming scene is coming into its own, and it feels like there are more people prepared to push "games as art", and to test the medium to its limits, even while "mainstream" gaming becomes often more and more formulaic. So it's an exciting time, in a way.

I've never even heard of Crusader Kings 2, but then my PC gaming days all but ended at Dungeon Keeper 2.

I haven't played a FIFA game in years, so I have no opinion either way there either.

• Like 1

256px-SaintsRowIV.jpg

Saints Row IV

First released: August 20 2013

On: PS3, XBox 360, PC (Available on Steam)

Weighted Score:

5 Nominations, 6 Points per Vote.

This is a game that I know absolutely nothing about. It seems like plenty of EWB'ers played it, and enough of you liked it. It's a game that reviews strongly, but never polled higher than third. I always assumed this was a GTA clone but a cursory glance at Wikipedia suggests an alien-based plot so now I feel like I know even less about this game than when I started. It's on sale on Steam for the holidays, so maybe this might be a chance to learn about it?

Next time: We explore the common link between a blade that provides many means to an end, and a game that provides many ends to a means.

Saints IV is the best! Everyone should play it

I played SR4 but (like SR3) it just lacked the spark that made the first two games special to me.

AS a game it's much more insane fun than SR3, but just like with 3 the story is utterly forgettable and even in a game where story is tacked on solely on establishing your badassness it just felt bare.

Saints IV is the best! Everyone should play it

I played SR4 but (like SR3) it just lacked the spark that made the first two games special to me.

AS a game it's much more insane fun than SR3, but just like with 3 the story is utterly forgettable and even in a game where story is tacked on solely on establishing your badassness it just felt bare.

Was a much better game then SR3 was though. SR3 is definately the weakest of the series IMO

250px-Stanley_parable_cover.jpg

The Stanley Parable

First released: October 11 2013

Weighted Score:

2 Nominations, 9.5 Points per Vote.

This is a game that is arguably ineligible, having first been made available for free over two years ago. But it was not "released" as a purchase until this year, so i'm allowing it. And it is beloved by all those who play it, with wit and personality echoing Portal, but still a vastly different gaming experience. It's discounted in the Steam Holiday sale and you simply must play it to experience it. It'd have made my list if i'd simply played it before voting closed.

Next time: We go back to the comic book universe.

Injustice_Gods_Among_Us_Cover_Art.jpg

Injustice: Gods Among Us

First released: April 16 2013

On: Mobile, PS3, PS4, Vita, XBox 360, WiiU PC (Available on Steam)

Weighted Score:

6 Nominations, 5.6667 Points per Vote.

Netherrealm Studios are all about givin' the people what they want. Fightin' games! What's that, you say?! You can beat up SUPERHEROES now?! I hate Superheroes! Sign me up. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who has a gaming device that this isn't available on, so if Mortal Kombat style fighting or superhero paraphernalia is your thing, you can pick it up (Also on sale on Steam!)

Next time: The highest rated game in sports (entertainment)