Out Of The Park Baseball 15

9 to 5

Sounds like a lot of fun. The new manager only mode sounds interesting, somewhat like letting your director of football controls transfers in FM I'd guess.

Meanwhile in 15 I've at least got some respectability out of Houston, we still suck but we're not the worst team in the league, currently 40-45 and I finally dumped Dexter "Like Hell I'm giving you 7.5 mill for a .186 BA" Fowler's salary, worked a deal with a couple of low rated prospects to get some pitching help out of the Tigers, got Robbie Ray, Casey Crosby and Jhan Marinez, my bullpen is sweet now, and that's still with Chad Qualls on the 60 day DL. Guy who's really been responsible for the turnaround though is David Rollins, brought him up in the middle of May because Bonderman predictably went Bonderman and he's 4-1 with a 2.75 ERA so far. I expect they'll hammer him soon, he's not THAT good, I'm just hoping he can hang till the deadline then I might be able to flip him. Setting up for next season though, currently have 25 million in budget room for FA's next year, hoping to make that 30 by season's end.

• 4 weeks later...

This "lol yankees are old" worthy, but it's getting a bit ridiculous. I've had nearly 25 injuries so far this season and I'm only at the All-Star break. Carlos Beltran has had two stints. Tex has had a long stent. CC Sabathia keeps having set backs (originally to miss 4 weeks, but he's going on 12 weeks...), Jeter's been hurt, Gardner, Ellsbury, you name it.

Brian McCann, a few bullpeners, and Tanaka (oddly enough) are the only folks on my 25-man that haven't at least had a short stint on the DL. This is crazy.

An example of how bad things are? Jeter is leading off as my DH!

So I started off Season 2 with the Astros after David Rollins single handedly kept me employed (Seriously, we finished something like 75-87 and Rollins was 13-4, would've probably gone close to RoY but for Yordano Ventura winning 22 or something stupid like that) and I have a 35 million dollar warchest. First guy to sign on. Max Scherzer, actually I didn't think I had a hope in hell of getting him, he wanted something outlandish like 200 mill over 8 and I just threw in a token 55 over 3 offer the first day of free agency while thinking of working a trade for a young gun, surprisingly he came back a week later and took it....okay. So at that point I just grabbed Josh Beckett for 1 year, 3.5 mill while my young farm guys develop.

Bullpen was a mess, Marinez isn't ready to come up yet, so I signed Jason Motte (Actually got him cheap too, managed to talk him down to 1.2 over 2 years) as well as Chris Perez to work setup with Chapman, my closer from last year. Also got Phil Coke to help my sagging middle relief, because Jesse Crain hasn't throw a pitch over the plate yet

Batting wise, we're fine, added Chris Young to give some veteran help in the outfield and signed Justin Smoak to play first, because Singleton is just plain NOT ready. Oh and I signed Derek Jeter as a coach from under New York's nose (He rates REALLY high in hitting and fielding as a coach in my game)....because fuck the Yankees :shifty:

So far so good, month in we're 13-9, good enough to lead the West for now, real star of the team though hasn't been a signing, hasn't even been a guy that played for the big league team last season. I invited Preston Tucker to Spring Training despite the coaches saying he wasn't ready and he crushed it, so I thought I'd start him in a platoon at Left with Yorman Rodriguez, who I picked up in the Rule 5 Draft. 1st month Tucker's hitting .358 with 7 homers and 24 RBIS. Rodriguez for his part on the other side of the Platoon is hitting .306 with 4 Homers and 15 RBI's, Young is just about to find himself anchored to the bench if this keeps up (My Center Fielder is Springer, who considering he's hitting .289 with 4 homers himself isn't going anywhere)

The problem though is....the exact reason I made such a token offer at Scherzer. He's lost his strikeout power and he's starting to get shelled, which sucks cause every other one of my starters is doing great, even Oberholtzer who I figured was only there till I could either sign Dempster or Shields when they're due back from injury.

Edited by Troy Maskell

I spent 5 hours playing OOTP 14 and I don't understand baseball. I made a few guys and simmed like 20 years to see how they turned out. Was pretty fun :P

Playing this game reminds me that I've forgotten a lot about baseball, and I have no idea who a lot of people are so it takes some of the fun out of it, but I'm still determined to figure it out eventually.

I spent 5 hours playing OOTP 14 and I don't understand baseball. I made a few guys and simmed like 20 years to see how they turned out. Was pretty fun :P

Playing this game reminds me that I've forgotten a lot about baseball, and I have no idea who a lot of people are so it takes some of the fun out of it, but I'm still determined to figure it out eventually.

You know you can play retro games right? You can play any year so you can play with guys you know/remember!

I just drafted Jameis Winston in the 1st round of the 2016 amateur draft. My scout says he's a 2-star potential, but the OSA is saying 4 and a half, so we'll see how this develops.

P2gTrfr.jpg

Pretty good season in Rookie League. That 1.57 ERA is nice, as is the WHIP. Not sure how fast I'm going to progress him. Maybe try him in just Single-A next season before throwing in Double-A, despite the fact that he'll be 23 next year.

• Like 1

I haven't played OOTP in a while, but one thing I truly love about the game is the randomness of potential and the vagueness of scouting figures.

Scout says a guy is a scrub, yet his skills says that he has a killer fastball... Three years of minor league play, and suddenly he's primed at being a #3 pitcher...

On the flipside, you draft a guy high thinking he's a bonafide star... Blows out his elbow after a few seasons and you're left with a lame duck.

OOTP is wonderfully open in terms of which players become good, which becomes bad, and which become average. And every game feels inherently different in that regard.

It's the only big-name management game that has that feeling to it, in FM it's too easy to find stars and there are too little odds of them becoming a bust.

• 2 weeks later...

So, is anyone getting OOTP 16? I'm definitely interested in getting it.

Probably, but I'll wait for a Steam Sale on it or something