What is the first World Cup that you remember watching?

2002. We watched the Brazil game in our school hall because it started so early. It was my first real tournament in general as I really don't remember much of Euro 2000.

I'm not sure but we might've done the same when England played Brazil. It's a bit hazy though. Euro 2004 was the first tournament I remember and the 2003 Premiership was when I started watching football in general.

I remember Italia '90, but not because of the football but because of the logo. I swear Channel 4 changed their logo to look like the Italia stick man logo. I also remember being entertained by Gazza. I was 6, to be fair, so I was basically the same age as him.

I remember USA '94 vividly. I was supporting the Paddies because England wasn't in and I remember THAT goal by Houghton against Italy in the opener. What a screamer.

• Like 1

With the England Brazil game, our history teacher let us watch it.. he was english, A loud cheer from the students, thank you Ronaldiniho, GIRUY!

• Like 1

Is the game you're all talking about the one with the corner goal?

If you're thinking Brazil vs England, it's the long out free kick that Seaman had no chance of saving..

I know more about the 1998 and 2002 tournaments than 2006 and 2010 for some reason, despite having only been 8 in 02. 2002 was the first year I really became aware of football as a thing and the World Cup was the first tournament of any kind I followed. There's a photo of me in my back garden wearing a France 98 shirt but I don't remember anything about it or Euro 2000 personally. Most of my knowledge about the 1998 World Cup comes from an annual I read constantly at school in Year 4. Bizarrely, the only thing I can remember about the 2006 one is that England's training camp was in a place called Baden-Baden, I can't even remember who won it that year. For 2010 I can only remember two of England's group games (USA and Slovenia), because of memorable things happening on the day of each game, and the final itself.

Is the game you're all talking about the one with the corner goal?

If you're thinking Brazil vs England, it's the long out free kick that Seaman had no chance of saving..

Oh yeah it was a free kick. I'll always love that one, any amount of misery for David fucking Seaman is good for me.

98 World Cup for me, specifically Owen's goal against Argentina. While I can vaguely remember things happening in the group stages, Owen's goal is the World Cup moment I can vividly remember.

Now I'm being reminded Nayim in the Cup Winners Cup!

That and those shit jokes like "If Beckham scores we'll drink Becks, if Scholes scores we'll drink Skol. Thank god Seaman's a goalie."

• Like 4

My Sky+ box has been dutifully filling up with official World Cup films while I've been away, and I've been...forced...to turn on 1998. :shifty:

I had forgotten Zidane's "MOMENT OF MADNESS" against Saudi Arabia. It won't be your last, Zizou.

I know more about the 1998 and 2002 tournaments than 2006 and 2010 for some reason, despite having only been 8 in 02. 2002 was the first year I really became aware of football as a thing and the World Cup was the first tournament of any kind I followed. There's a photo of me in my back garden wearing a France 98 shirt but I don't remember anything about it or Euro 2000 personally. Most of my knowledge about the 1998 World Cup comes from an annual I read constantly at school in Year 4. Bizarrely, the only thing I can remember about the 2006 one is that England's training camp was in a place called Baden-Baden, I can't even remember who won it that year. For 2010 I can only remember two of England's group games (USA and Slovenia), because of memorable things happening on the day of each game, and the final itself.

2006 was not a classic.

Italy won it, Klose got golden boot with 5.

England beat Paraguay and Trinidad/Tobago before drawing with Sweden. We came top of the group, beat Ecuador in the second round and then lost on penalties to Portugal in the quarters.

That Cristiano Ronaldo wink.