EWBFF Brian Bosworth League

HC

We need to lift up the poor and give them soup. Quarterback soup. Like Campbells.

Just keep in mind that i'm speaking my mind as someone interested in the process, and not actually going to be affected by your decision. Feel free to make a decision based purely on how your own players feel over my opinion.

Parity? This isn't the NBA or any pro sports league. No one lost LeBron in free agency. No one is worrying about ticket sales. Parity is irrelevant. It's a game. A game where we all drafted our teams, and a game where everyone should have equal opportunity in regards to waivers. You wouldn't bitch about a lack of parity in CandyLand or Monopoly would you? Because that makes about as much sense as it does here. FAAB is not some new magical concept I came up with to fuck you guys. It's fairly common, and a lot of leagues use it for a good reason. If it's absurd, then I guess a good chunk of the fantasy leagues out there are absurd too. It's a strategy as well, it's not an auction, the bids are blind on one-time, and if anyone does "blow their wad" to get someone then they won't have the money to outbid anyone later will they? This is without even getting into the fact that we play in a 10 team league where there is always a nice amount of talent on free agency.

Bold: No, everyone should not. That's ridiculous. Your point falls apart given you have based it upon an assumption that is inherently inaccurate, but anyway. You have an opportunity as a game operator to keep all the people interested. Sure, one can say "They shouldn't play if they're not going to care when they suck" and that's not without merit. Waivers by standings is basically the only way to compensate for the random events that are injuries without hoping that injury equally affects all the teams. And hoping that everyone receives equal kicks to the junk in order to keep the game interesting for all basically means that everyone ends up unhappy.

You have an opportunity to engage more people as a game-runner by offering things in a way that gives those who have an unfortunate start a chance to keep pace with the game. And you're choosing not to take it. I'll admit that the bidding system does come with it an additional layer of strategy not normally seen in fantasy football - it's an interesting game design element. I'm normally not against adding strategic depth to a game. But as far as i'm concerned, as someone who loves games from a design standpoint, the opportunity cost of forfeiting the ability of the unfortunate to recover from a bad start is not worth it.

I feel that you've engaged this solution from the standpoint of someone who is quite good at fantasy football, you do not anticipate being one of the lower-ranked players (BTW my own draft projections would concur with that, and yes i've been looking at all three drafts and yes I am a massive geek like that.) and you've enacted the system that bones you personally over the least.

Also, if you want to compare it to board games - it's called waivers. It's not called Community Chest. That's how waivers work.

I am baffled this is even an issue considering last year in B-league we went off a random number for priority and you moved back based on number of additions. At the very least, FAAB is more fair than that.

...I guess, yes, that is more fair than that. And if your objective was to be the second-worst, then mission accomplished. But to reiterate, I think as a league commissioner you should be looking at offering the fairest possible playing field. While you tout that your system provides equal access to Free Agents, it will not provide equal outcomes for your players. That's a choice that you have, and with FAAB you're choosing not to offer equal outcomes.

• Like 1

I'll tell you what, since some feel so strongly about it, I will put it to a vote for the ten of us in the league. I feel it's the fairest thing to do. I'm tired of arguing it, and it's not that big of a deal anyway. I disagree with your opinion, while also seeing where you are coming from, and if the majority of the league really wants it, they can have it. I feel like it's a disadvantage to those who drafted well and that FAAB makes it as fair as anything. It's a game, not economics, and if you drafted horribly then no you probably shouldn't be going to the playoffs because you had first dibs on waivers every week in the early going. I don't think the 0-14 team should automatically get a guy over the team with the best record just because BUT MOVING ON LET US VOTE.

I'm obviously for FAAB. I think SDM is as well.

Livid has expressed a desire for the reverse order so there's a vote for that.

Everyone else in the league should help make the decision. I will do whatever the majority says, even if it is YOUR DAMN COMMUNISM WAIVERS. :P

I think it should be prioritized like so:

1. Have you picked someone up off waivers?

1. A. If no, have you played a game?

1. A. 1. If yes, what is your record? Worst record gets priority.

1. B. If no, what was your draft order? Lowest pick gets priority.

2. If you have picked someone up off waivers, you move behind everyone who hasn't. Then again if you have picked up more than one person.

So basically I am in the Plubby/Livid camp.

Also since I know you are reading this topic, Plubby, it is your pick in the Aaron Curry League.

• Like 1

Like poker, there is a lot of skill involved in being good at fantasy football but there's also a lot of luck involved too. Punishing people for having bad luck by making it harder for them to turn their season around while making it easier for the folks that had the benefit of good luck isn't fair.

You don't really know if you drafted well or not until teams actually play but it would be too late to correct that using the FAAB system.

Okay, so 3-1 atm.

And for the last time, a system where everyone gets the same amount to bid with is not unfair at all. It's equal by it's very definition. The idea the bad team could never get better without automatic first priority every week is ludicrous. I believe the draft should actually matter I guess. And to the injury argument, say your QB goes down week four and you're middle of the pack. Say idk Blake Bortles has a has a has huge 2 weeks and looks fantastic, with FAAB, if you want Bortles you bid a big enough chunk and he's yours. The bids are blind. No one can see your bid and outbid you just to be a dick. under the reverse standing, the team with one more loss than you who has Aaron Rodgers already (mot saying you Forbes :P) can claim him a ahead of you and you're fucked because p you didn't lose enough I guess. The first 6 weeks of the season or so are also the best time for finding waiver gems,. At this point, we really wouldn't know which teams were truly bad anyway. We'd have the 1-3 team with a tough schedule but better roster thus far getting Keenan Allen over the 2-2 team who's WR 2 is Cecil Shorts due to a big injury,

I'd like the same kind of waiver system we had in Cutthroat last year; I don't like the idea of bidding, even if they're blind, or having a set amount. I think that if the players are there and you want to claim them, go for it, and if nobody else doesn't, they're yours.

I'd like the same kind of waiver system we had in Cutthroat last year; I don't like the idea of bidding, even if they're blind, or having a set amount. I think that if the players are there and you want to claim them, go for it, and if nobody else doesn't, they're yours.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. First come first served and permeanant free agents unless dropped? That's even worse than the commie waivers. I was sabotaged so bad in Cutthroat last year I barely paid attention aside from setting my roster so I'm not exactly sure what'd you're referring to.

Priority first on if you signed a FA, then on record.

If I have a worse record than you, but I snagged a FA, you get priority.

That would be a rolling list that would reset every week, which if we end up doing the reverse order is how I'd set it up.

And Plubby, the bids would apply to everyone on waivers, I don't think you can do it just for dropped guys but I could be mistaken. Free agents would be free but only after the weekly waivers process.