Dramatic moments in sport

Lineker

Most dramatic moments for me:

• The 2008 Wimbledon final, being a die hard Federer fan and watching him claw his way back only to fall to the new Man, Nadal.
  • Arsenal winning the FA Cup, going 2-0 down to win it. It'd been far too long.
  • Theo Walcott's amazing run and assist to Adebayor in the CL against Liverpool. Thought we'd made it to the semis...
  • Sterling shot 2mins in against Italy. Me and my mate nearly put our heads through the roof in joy.
  • Bryan winning at Summerslam and Mania
  • Thierry coming back to net the winner against Leeds.
  • The Rugby World Cup that England won. In the local pub, terribly underage but with a bunch of screaming Englishmen. Was immense.

James Thomas completes his hat-trick to keep Swansea up and keep their place in the Football League. The match is mentioned by any commentator any time the Swans play in the Premier League. Sinclair scoring the fourth goal at Wembley was also pretty special after the comeback from Reading in the second half.

4-2 down away from home at the start of second half injury time.

http://youtu.be/UASYr7lRIZo

Did you buy the DVD?

:shifty:

I'd also say this too;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ShDNMstEA

Awful that was. Thought we were there.

Somehow I forgot about Deeny's semi final goal. Absolutely insane that was.

And this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GESlaVNdE

• Like 1

Always say that Babel dived to this day. Just like how Eto'o was offside for Barcelona's equaliser in the 2006 CL final. Devastating moments in sport, never mind dramatic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOOGpojfccM

Matt might want to look away. :ph34r:

Also, I remember this being a bit mental:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsbFtlnM5t4

Speaking of American sports, this was particularly memorable for me:

I'm not a Giants fan by any means, but this was made all the more dramatic by the underdogs vs megastars dynamic coming into the match, not to mention the fact that the Patriots were just over a minute away from a perfect season. It looked for all the world as though Eli Manning was about to be taken down, but quite how he managed to slip out and throw a pinpoint pass in traffic, caught against the wide receiver's helmet, was quite astonishing at such a late stage of the game.

Continuing in this vein....

See, I wanted to say this, but I didn't wanna' come off as one of those football fans that only remembers their own teams' moments, and so think the entire sports landscape revolves around it.

I'm kind of going to have to submit Chelsea's Entire 2011/12 Champions League Campaign, because honest to God it was all just so ridiculous (certainly from Napoli onwards). It's very difficult to choose.

Even if you slimmed that down to, say, Only Moments Involving Petr Cech, you've still got a few. Let alone others from Drogba, Torres, Ramires, etc.

See what I mean :shifty:

I have zero qualms about only remembering my own teams moments. :P Although by no means am I suggesting the entie sports landscape revolves around it...just adding my own small corner of it to the pile.

Oh, I know you weren't, I was joking about yours. Maybe :P

If I was to include dramatic moments of my own teams (because I like being a hypocrite <_< ), then not just the Istanbul final, but the 2007 CL final against Milan again, when Inzaghi suddenly forgot he was like a bajillion years old and just crushed us. Fuck you, Felipe!

Then there'd be the NBA finals of last year (fuck you, Ray Allen!), the 4-4 draw against Arsenal in 07/08 that helped us come in second instead of first like we were supposed to because Arshavin suddenly remembered his hype and scored four past us (fuck you, Arshavin!), the 2001 Stanley Cup finals where every moment was just one where you'd forget to breathe (seriously, best Stanley Cup finals ever, right?), GSP's fight against Hendricks and Argentina vs. England penalty shoot-out.

Beckham's free kick against Greece, definitely. A moment of pure brilliance, and redemption for the sending off at World Cup 98.

Pretty sure he redeemed himself when his penalty goal sent Argentina out of the World Cup at the group stages.

Pretty sure the Greece game was the one for English fans, also that was virtually the last kick of the game and without we probably would've never ended up going to the World Cup for Beckham to score the penalty, that game against Greece was the one where he was the only English person who appeared to care enough to raise his game, it was pure magic and really was where he became an English SuperLegIconendStar. So, no, you're wrong.

• Like 4

Seriously, as a Phillies fan that pitch seemed to go about .25MPH when I watched it

Re: Beckham's freekick against Greece... Am I correct in remembering that if he hadn't scored, we would have just had to go into the Playoffs, rather than being 'out' completely?

That's why I said "probably" about not making the world cup <_<