2014-15 MLB Offseason Thread

The Buscher

When the Mets signed Cuddyer, I was happy with the move but had a feeling that deep down it would be the only significant move the Mets would make in the offseason. I was okay with that because I didn't want to trade Murphy, I was fine with giving Wilmer Flores a legitimate chance at shortstop, and the pitching was already loaded. Getting a healthy Wright back along with the return of Harvey is almost like making two major acquisitions in a way, and I felt like they could still remain competitive deep into September.

But then seeing the Marlins get markedly better, the Cubs get better, and the Padres just transforming themselves overnight...shit. The NL is going to be really good this year. I still think the Mets as currently constructed can compete but it's kinda depressing to realize that their offseason is finished already while all of these other teams are making a lot of moves.

The only thing left for the Mets fans to talk about is what C-level prospect they'll get for Dillon Gee to shed payroll. I really, REALLY miss having owners who weren't flat broke. I think the Wilpons themselves are leaking stories about trading for Tulowitzki to try and make fans think they're trying to swing a mega deal, as if they'd ever take on a contract like Tulo's in a million years.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hall of Fame Class of 2015 will be announced today. Big Unit, Pedro, and Smoltz should all waltz in on the first ballot. Biggio should also get in on his second go-around having barely missed out last year.

5 entrants have gone into the HOF together only once, the first-ever HOF class, so it's unlikely anybody else gets in other than the 4 mentioned already. I think Piazza will be next in line but right now only about 77% of ballots made public have him on it, and only 30% of ballots tallied. He's clearly going to fall short of 75%. Hopefully can inch close enough that next year is the year with Griffey the only slam dunk.

Sosa won't ever make it. In fact I think there's a decent chance he'll drop off the ballot this year. :(

Voters get 10 picks. If I were allowed a vote this is who I'd go with: Bagwell, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Johnson, Martinez, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Smoltz

McGwire and Sosa would be the next up if I were allowed more votes.

I think Raines only has 2 more years left on the ballot after this, so odds are he'll have to wait until the Veteran's Committee which is dumb.

Piazza is just under 70%. I think he'll make it next year with Griffey being the only lock. Even though you can vote for 10 some writers just have it in their heads that 3 or 4 is the max that can go in at once because the only class of 5 was the inaugural one.

Knowing the Mets' luck, Piazza will go in as a Dodger because his numbers were slightly better there even though everybody remembers him as a Met and he's publically said he wants to be remembered as a Met. <_<

Looking at next year's first of first year HOF eligible players, Griffey is the obvious headliner. Trevor Hoffman and Billy Wagner are there too. There's not a chance in hell that two closers are going in at the same time, and frankly even with 601 saves I'm not sure Hoffman will be a first ballot guy. Voters in general seem to have devalued closers. I think Hoffman will get in but maybe in his second or third year (but definitely before Rivera). Wagner might stick on the ballot for ages ala Lee Smith but not sure he's a lock. Jim Edmonds is another guy I can see sticking on the ballot if only from support from the new-school voters as he has far better WAR numbers than several outfielders who are already in.

So yeah, I'm fairly optimistic about Piazza next year. It does alarm me though that of the people who didn't vote for him - a lot of them were New York writers who covered him enough to feel suspicious based only on his physique. One of them even said "I'd rather risk leaving out someone innocent than letting someone guilty in." God bless America. I think he'll make it though unless something concrete comes out.