Dragon Age Inquisition

apsham

Finished!

Well sort of, I completed the story. Did all the important/companion stuff. Only got round to killing 1/10 dragons and I totally forgot to go to the Hissing Wastes like, at all. I'll go back and do everything else at a later date though.

Loved the way the story and all the characters had developed by the end. Great stuff. I liked the boss fights at the end. It was more than a glorified QTE that you often get in games nowadays but it wasn't so hard it fell into the 'bullshit' category.

Oh and I see they went 'full Marvel' with the post credits scene, but damn what a scene. Another game please!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 13/05/2015 at 16:27, Avenged said:

Finished!

Well sort of, I completed the story. Did all the important/companion stuff. Only got round to killing 1/10 dragons and I totally forgot to go to the Hissing Wastes like, at all. I'll go back and do everything else at a later date though.

Loved the way the story and all the characters had developed by the end. Great stuff. I liked the boss fights at the end. It was more than a glorified QTE that you often get in games nowadays but it wasn't so hard it fell into the 'bullshit' category.

Oh and I see they went 'full Marvel' with the post credits scene, but damn what a scene. Another game please!

Many years later I finally got around to finishing this, doing all the extra stuff and killing the dragons. 

Plus all of the DLC which I enjoyed throughly. Trespasser and the Descent both blew the lore wide open and the former sets up a 4th game awesomely. As a whole package, one of my favourite games for sure.

It was a slog sometimes early on, but so so worth it if you give it the time it deserves (I clocked in at around 130 hours by the end).  

I had it on one of the consoles and traded it in,, then got it for either free or really cheap, but I don't know if the console I got it on the second time was the same one or if I'm going to need to start again.  

• 1 month later...

So in my continued effort to beat the story mode of all of the games I currently own, I fired this up tonight to make it the game I focus on until I beat it. I have got to say that I hate the battle system. I love RPGS but that's always been my biggest hatred because I like the ATB style when it comes to groups. If I'm going to have the type of battle system in this game then I only want to focus on myself rather than trying to plan my strategy for the whole group. 

It may have something to do with the fact that I really have no idea what I'm doing with the rest of it. I just wanna stand back and sling arrows at those mother fuckers until they die.

I've also picked this back up, because I wanted to play a game with a story again and this one has been on my list for the longest of time, and after two playthroughs that never finished, I've started a third one (2H Reaver She-Dwarf, because having a weapon bigger than you is awesome).

I do agree that the battle system isn't as 'smooth' as other games, and I think it's mostly because the AI for your teammates can't keep themselves alive under any circumstances. And I already noticed it at the fullest extent when you fight the ogre-thing to close the breach early on.

Every time the monster broke line of sight with my ranged fighters, the ranged fighters immediately 'The best way to never break line of sight, is by standing right next to the giant MFER with AOE attacks!'. So at the end of the fight all the potions were used up by them, and their battle AI does nothing to de-aggro and kite around to keep themselves out of trouble.

AI warriors have the same issues, but at least you can somewhat control their squishiness if they have a sword and board, but even then Cassandra more often than not got in trouble where my reaver only required 1 potion all fight, when I made a dumb mistake.

But the problem it gives is that it's tedious as all hell, and like @Forever Forky I don't want to be forced to micromanage the shit out of my AI teammates in all but the most basic battles. Especially seeing I'm playing on hard, which makes that AI dumbassery even more painful to deal with.

It's not a new problem, though. Since DA:O and DA2 had the same issues, but in DA:O you had a pretty useful tactics menu where you could be very detailed in how your party members acted in battle, so you could tell them to avoid enemies, not rush headlong into battle, and focus on their roles. (Debuffing, sneak attacks, aggro/tank, etc.)

DA:I hasn't gotten that depth, so the AI just fumbles around like idiots.

Edited by Jasonmufc

• 3 months later...
On 11/23/2014 at 13:11, Lint said:

Yea,Dorian is now the go-to mage for my party. Usually go him, Varrick and Cassandra

After being kinda unimpressed with the game the first time around, I picked it up on PSN last week when it was like 70% off.  Enjoying it more the 2nd time around.  Kinda laughing that, 3.5 years later, this is still my go-to party

On 11/25/2014 at 14:51, Lint said:

Hidden Content

HMmm...forgot the old spoiler coding didn't come over to the new version of the board.  I had forgotten about what happened during a mission and made the same mistake again :(

I've been side questing more then I did the first time around.  Not much through the story line, but I'm level 20 and all my characters are practically unstoppable due to crafted weapons/armor.  Me as an archer alone is using a bow that does around 300dps, fighting level 11 enemies that almost die as soon as they see us

So when I bought WWE 2K18 from PSN I also bought all the DA:I DLC for a tenner. Jaws Of Hakkon was lots of fun. I especially loved that I was able to recruit a bear as an Inquisition agent. The Descent was quite boring and the collecting of the gears was tedious. I wouldn't say that either of them are must-haves. Trespasser on the other hand is essential since it serves as both the real ending of this game and the set-up for the next game (if they even get to make another one before EA shuts Bioware down). So of course it's paid DLC. That shouldn't come as a surprise since we are talking about a game published by EA here and they pull bullshit like this all the time. The DLC takes place two years after Corypheus defeat. Bot Ferelden and Orlais have become quite concerned about the Inquisition's continued existence despite Corypheus defeat and over all the political and military power the Inquisition has gained. Ferelden wants the Inquisition to disband while Orlais wants to have far more oversight over the Inquisition's activities. So to discuss the future of the Inquisition the Chantry (led by whoever you helped to become the Divine during the events of the main game) and representatives of Ferelden, Orlais and the Inquisition call another Exalted Council at the Winter Palace.

Spoiler

Of course things get out of hand when a plot by the Qunari to invade Ferelden and Orlais is uncovered. The part of the DLC in which you get to meet all your companions again is fun. The main plot just doesn't make sense at some points. Like why do we have to keep the Qunari plot a secret from the Council until the last minute and make it look like we are taking over the Palace for no good reason? Wouldn't it be better to build trust with both Orlais and Ferelden by being honest with them? Especially when they discover what, or rather who, the catalyst for the planned Qunari Invasion was? And why can't we just tell them that there is a far bigger threat than the Qunari that they can't possibly deal with without the Inquisition's help? Why do I have to either disband the Inquisition completely or turn it it into the Divine's personal honor guard and continue it's existence but in much smaller numbers? Why can't I tell the Council to go fuck themselves?

Edited by Hellraiser