Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

I saw a headline about Cuadrado earlier on that was "Chelsea prepared to cut their losses on flop Juan Cuadrado" and I find it kind of harsh to call him a flop? Is it really his fault he hasn't had any impact when he's started four games, when he's come off the bench has, by and large, had about 10 minutes, and was a signing they didn't even need in the first place. He's never really been given much of a chance to succeed.

• Like 1

God knows. I feel like, for however much it annoys me on Football Manager when I see teams spending upwards of £25m on players and then never using them, that seems to be exactly what Chelsea are doing? They've given Cuadrado no chance after spending nearly £30m on him, and I very much doubt Pedro is going to fare much better. Probably just sell Cuadrado and Pedro will fill that spot of "big money signing who can't get a game".

I think in Chelsea's case, it is a fact that they have avoided long injury lay-offs which has meant they haven't needed to use squad players as much as other sides around them (like us for example).

Mourinho does like a small and settled squad, so it will be interesting to see if he would put Pedro straight into the side ahead of Willian. Pedro doesn't nearly offer as much defensive support as Willian can at times, and for that reason alone I'd be surprised if he got in the starting XI every week over Willian.

Seems to me that Pedro will swap being an impact sub at Barcelona to being an impact sub at Chelsea. 

Edited by Alexis Sanchez

That is a huge signing for Leicester. Top replacement for Cambiasso.

I like to think he told his agent "I want to sign for the best team in England" and his agent is an idiot and looked at the table after 2 games >_>

• Like 7

A lot of journo's are saying a bid was made a week ago, but the fact they're reporting it so late means they had no idea this happened until we briefed them all on it today. The timing of it suggests we are just trying to distract from the Pedro story and show we have other targets too.

Pedro was definitely the number one target. Doesn't mean Man Utd weren't already looking at Mane but still. 

Beaten to Otamendi and now Pedro. 

Depending on who you speak to, United weren't in for Otamendi and didn't really ever want Pedro.

They're turning into Arsenal of old. It's refreshing.

Although regardless, Mané would still be a decent signing. He's still very young as well.

Edited by Alexis Sanchez

' beaten' to them is probably a stretch, it just looks bad when you have reported interest in players but they end up elsewhere. 

We've been linked to Otamendi for years now. Obviously, United weren't willing to pay what Valencia wanted, whereas Man City were. 

As for Pedro, word is LVG wasn't completely keen on him. Can't argue with Pedro for not being keen either if that is the case. I just wonder how many games he'll get at Chelsea, but suppose if LVG wasn't keen and Pedro wasn't going to be in the team every week, why leave Barca for us?

I'm more disappointed in the amateurish pursuit of Ramos over the summer if I'm honest. We spent far too long on that deal that wasn't going to happen.

I've been very happy with your transfer dealings. There was that disappointing day when you signed Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin but otherwise it's been good. Now just to sell DeGea in the closing days.

• Like 3

' beaten' to them is probably a stretch, it just looks bad when you have reported interest in players but they end up elsewhere. 

We've been linked to Otamendi for years now. Obviously, United weren't willing to pay what Valencia wanted, whereas Man City were. 

As for Pedro, word is LVG wasn't completely keen on him. Can't argue with Pedro for not being keen either if that is the case. I just wonder how many games he'll get at Chelsea, but suppose if LVG wasn't keen and Pedro wasn't going to be in the team every week, why leave Barca for us?

I'm more disappointed in the amateurish pursuit of Ramos over the summer if I'm honest. We spent far too long on that deal that wasn't going to happen.

Speaking of the Ramos deal, I find it odd that you have clearly been on the market for a defender, but since that one fell apart there have been no alternatives mentioned.

On the Mané point before, the other thing I've always thought about him is Gervinho. Like him, he has bags of natural ability with pace and trickery but doesn't seem to be able to combine it all with an end product. Could even see him sometimes playing through the middle with Rooney in the No. 10 role.

• Like 1

I'm amused by the whole Pedro thing because his whole argument in wanting to leave Barca was that he didn't want to sit on the bench anymore, therefore:

A/ Pedro is either delusional or swindled into thinking he's going to start for Chelsea

B/ Pedro is being an astronomical amount of money to sit on the bench at Chelsea, in what may be one of those early Abramovich-era Chelsea moves where they just buy a player to keep a rival from getting him.

C/ Pedro is a liar.

D/ All of the above.

Edited by Bojack Julep