If you could re-experience any game for the first time again, what would it be?

probablyoliver

Bioshock was fantastic and at the time I wasn't expecting it to play out the way it did. Got me hook line and sinker in terms of the story, the character of Andrew Ryan and the scenary was something completely different at the time. Learning and discovering more about Rapture and how things had gotten to the way there were was fascinating.

Red Dead Redemption is possibly one of my favourite games of all time and one that after when it first came out a few years later I've went and played it all again. I'd love for them to do a second one a hell of a lot more than say a new GTA. It was something completely different for Rockstar and showed that they can make great games with an amazing storyline in different settings then the usual gangster/crime genre.

LA Noire for me was something completely different and the graphics were amazing. I thought the gameplay was great and the whole reading into peoples tone of voice, actions and facial expressions was something innovative at the time. I thought the final part of the story was a bit crap but it didn't stop the game from being great for me.

The Mass Effect Trilogy which even if the first one as Srar pointed out may not have aged as well as the other I think still holds out as a great game. It's probably the most invested i've been in a game universe in terms of not just Shephard but the party members as well. I find in certain games I'm never arsed about the side characters such as Far Cry 3 I didn't give a shit about the main characters friends as I thought "I don't want to save these...they are all nobs, I don't care enough about them as you've not given me a reason to care about them" which leads into:

The Walking Dead, basically this can be summed up as all of the feels. Its a cliche to say but it really was a rollercoaster of emotions especially the final two episodes of the first season. The second one as well had some brilliant moments but for me the first season was the best and I'd love to play that again without knowing what was going to happen.

The Last of Us is just magnificent and there isn't a single fault I can find about it. Excellent story telling from the get go and as the story develops the more you get hooked.

Finally Max Payne 3. It had been so long since the first two that I wasn't sure how it was going to play out but again Rockstar hit it out the park. It felt like he hadn't been gone for so long and the story and style of the game was true to the original and because of developments in gaming the things that could be included for that made it even better.

FF7 or GTA3. They bridged the gap for me between the 'old' one dimensional style of game that required you to master one or two skills and beat levels and bosses into just a completely new experience.

I can still remember playing through the opening Midgar portion of FF7 and just thinking, "what is this? How is this possible?". The gameplay, the story, the music, the cast, the longevity, the graphics, the open world, the side quests. It blew my mind.

• Like 2

FF7 or GTA3. They bridged the gap for me between the 'old' one dimensional style of game that required you to master one or two skills and beat levels and bosses into just a completely new experience.

I can still remember playing through the opening Midgar portion of FF7 and just thinking, "what is this? How is this possible?". The gameplay, the story, the music, the cast, the longevity, the graphics, the open world, the side quests. It blew my mind.

Hilariously, I hated FF7 the first time I played it. I remember I was staying over at a friend's house, and he had fallen asleep during a marathon session of "Ronaldo V-Football". The FF7 case caught my eye so I popped it in. I had never played an rpg before, so had no idea what was happening. I played up to the scorpion boss, and naturally died after repeatedly attacking while the tail was up. I switched it off and said, "well that was shit".

Then I randomly bought FF8 a year later and loved it. It was probably another year until I played FF7 again.

Metal Gear Solid plus the first two Monkey Island games. I would happily submit to a memory wipe of playing those so I could go in fresh, can we do that yet?

Holy shit I didn't think about the Monkey Island games.

Though I would include the third one, because I love it just as much.

Final Fantasy X, just for the marathon sessions I used to pull on it to see how far in the story I could go without losing interest or saving (which is good because I didn't remember to get memory cards for the longest fucking time). Current personal best is Mi'ihen Highroad.

Diablo 2, because visiting the grandparents and whatnot. (Speaking of it, do I need to do anything out of the ordinary to get it to run on 8.1?)

Tony Hawks Pro Skater (2 through Underground). In no particular order: Spiderman the skateboarder, rhino sex, PINK ELEPHANTS ARE EVERYWHERE MAN, Canada the skatepark, Bam Margera's borderline sexual interest in tanks, etc.

Burnout 3. I wanna top my Road Rage score (73, IIRC).

Final Fantasy X, just for the marathon sessions I used to pull on it to see how far in the story I could go without...saving

In FFX where saving is free healing for your entire party?

You must have bought every bloody potion in the game. :shifty:

Final Fantasy X, just for the marathon sessions I used to pull on it to see how far in the story I could go without...saving

I knew that. I meant not saving my progress, 'cause I didn't remember to pick up some memory cards for the longest fucking time.

Also, third Seymour fight. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.............

Just touching the save spheres meant free healing, you didn't have to save the game.

Super Mario 64

To me, I play video games for gameplay. Video games are just Sudoku puzzles or cross word puzzles or chess on a much grander scale. So when I think of "what game would I want to experience again for the first time with no memory of experiencing it before" my mind goes to the games that took gameplay and move it a few steps forward.

I was having a conversation with a bunch of friends about "revolutionary" video games a few weeks back. Video games that just revolutionized gameplay and how game developers approach building the worlds that house the game. And the three times I remember having that feeling playing a game was Mario 64, Grand Theft Auto 3 and the Sims. All of those games, I literally was like "holy shit, this is something I have always imagined and now here it is". Of those three, I would probably pick Mario 64. When I played that game when I was young, I just couldn't fathom what I was playing. The game play was so different, the world was so much bigger and vivid than anything I had seen before, the puzzles so deep, the way your character moves and acts so different... it was everything I imagined as a kid and more. So I would love to go back and just replay Mario 64 and have that childlike feeling of "oh my gosh, this is the most amazing thing ever".

• Like 1

Red Dead Redemption needs a remaster because I've never actually played more than a few missions in the game. I really would be mostly experiencing it for the first time.

If you ever get the chance to play properly you should. I think i've owned a copy of it on three seperate occasions, i've always got rid of it and ending up trading stuff in and getting it back again.

Least this time i've kept it in case the PS4 ever breaks and I can hook up the 360 again.