EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2015: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Daily Show! The ticking clock lit a fire under Jon Stewart, and Trevor Noah's been doing just fine, but the real thing that got it on my 15 was the final episode for Jon. Just a beautiful celebration of his 16 year run.

I'm just getting into Steven Universe; last episode I watched was the Tiger Millionaire one that Ruki posted a clip of and it was my everything. Right now it's sort of a pleasant show to watch one episode of every couple days but I get the impression that it's one of those shows that starts silly and then stealthily builds up a ton of lore and those are my favorite kinds of shows. Since a solid third of my list this year were shows in their final season, I think it has a reasonable shot at making it next year if I catch up.

Still tragically behind on Broad City, still desperately need to catch up. First half of the first season was funny as fuck.

Wet Hot was really good, though I still haven't watched the last episode. For some reason I'm really bad at finishing Netflix seasons this year, the only ones I've managed are Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

FUN FACT: I'm not sure if it's ever been done before, but Toast of London got the exact same amount of points on the exact same amount of ballots this year as last year. The fact that that merited a ten spot drop should tell you something about the level of competition/ballot diversity this year.

My aunt likes Castle, but I think she likes it less now than she used to.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GoGo YubaRey said:

I'm just getting into Steven Universe; last episode I watched was the Tiger Millionaire one that Ruki posted a clip of and it was my everything. Right now it's sort of a pleasant show to watch one episode of every couple days but I get the impression that it's one of those shows that starts silly and then stealthily builds up a ton of lore and those are my favorite kinds of shows. Since a solid third of my list this year were shows in their final season, I think it has a reasonable shot at making it next year if I catch up.

Steven Universe is, indeed, one of those kinds of shows.

• Like 1

only four shows in this one, but it also includes our second and I think final tie. Only two ties this year!

Xhf2coQ.png

39. The Leftovers (34 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #27)

kiYkEwp.png

38. The Last Man On Earth (34 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

QKllIgn.png

36. (tie) Wayward Pines (40 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

L8zPhly.png

36 (tie). The Blacklist (40 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #34)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2015: Chopping up my evil clone, maybe someday that'll feel weird.

Not watched a y of those four this year, but I watched a couple episodes in the first seasons of Blacklist and Leftovers and did not get into them. I'm quite far behind on TV so I'll be giving most of these a try or second try soon.

13 hours ago, TheSqauredCircleMessiah said:

The Leftovers being 39th is ridiculous. It was by far the best drama on TV in 2015. For shame on all of you.

Ehh, let's not get too crazy. I like The Leftovers, I put it on my list, but it's not the best anything on TV.

Apparently S2 of The Leftovers has been leaps and bounds better than S1, but I still haven't gotten around to it. Probably won't, doesn't really interest me much.

a harbinger of things to come...

tacCLJC.png

35. Supergirl (41 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: NR)

4R3hAIV.png

34. Ash vs. Evil Dead (41 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

9WO9Tei.png

33. Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish (42 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

frz3WAl.png

32. Elementary (45 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: #25)

3EpIAAR.png

31. Peep Show (46 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 Shows of 2015: All you have to do to summon Hashtag is hashtag Hashtag.

Ash vs. Evil Dead, yay! Elementary, yay! Two shows I haven't heard of and one that I've heard mixed reviews of. 

But Ash vs. Evil Dead, yay!

Supergirl is a perfectly cromulent superhero show, given a huge boost by the fact that they cast her perfectly (and another boost near midseason by a really clever character reveal). It's not all that much worse than Arrow, but definitely nowhere near Flash or any of the Marvel shows. Hopefully it has the same ramping up of quality that Arrow and Flash did in the tail ends of their first season.

never seen any of the Evil Dead movies so while Ash vs. Evil Dead seems like it might be my cup of tea, I'm alright with not watching it because of that in light of how many shows I'm already watching. Glad it's doing alright, I like Bruce Campbell.

Elementary fills my network crime procedural quota (though a case could be made that iZombie is basically one too), and I'm only one episode behind. Season 3 was a little disjointed; felt like they meant for Kitty to be a thing for longer and then bailed out and rushed the end to her arc, so where seasons 1 and 2 had clear arcs that developed (with Moriarty and Mycroft, respectively), season 3 didn't have that and had to settle for a couple strong case-of-the-weeks (the one with the airline lawsuit was tremendous) and then an ending that didn't feel all that earned. Season 4 has been a little whatever thusfar, but I started the most recent episode this morning and it seems promising.

• Like 2

Is the most recent one the mid-season winter finale?

Also

never seen any of the Evil Dead movies

I'm dead. You've killed me. You've successfully murdered me. I am now a corpse, please hack me into pieces to reassure that I don't come back as a Deadite.

• Like 5

I would assume so, but it's also coming back like next week, which is sooner than other shows. I don't know if Elementary really deals in the same pacing since it starts later.

Anyway.

OHmpZXa.png

30. iZombie (47 points, appeared on seven ballots) (Last Year: NR)

htaBPht.png

29. Archer (48 points, appeared on five ballots) (Last Year: #18)

stJUVlJ.png

28. Orange is the New Black (48 points, appeared on nine ballots) (Last Year: #8)

PoWA8yh.png

27. Narcos (49 points, appeared on six ballots) (Last Year: NR)

CuEKhew.png

26. South Park (49 points, appeared on eight ballots) (Last Year: #11)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2015: Dice not included, some assembly required. Lines between perception, desire, and reality may become blurred, redundant, or interchangeable. Characters may hook up with no regard for your emotional investment. Some episodes too conceptual to be funny, some too funny to be immersive, and some so immersive they still aren't funny. Consistency between seasons may vary. Viewers may be measured by a secretive obsolete system based on selected participants keeping handwritten journals of what they watch. Show may be cancelled and moved to the internet, where it turns out tens of millions were watching the whole time. May not matter. Fake commercial may end with disclaimer gag which may descend into vain Chuck Lorresque rant by narcissistic creator. Creator may be unstable. Therapist may have told creator this is not how you make yourself a good person.Life may pass by while we ignore or mistreat those close to us. Those close to us may be those watching. Those people may want to know I love them but I may be incapable of saying it. Contains pieces the size of a child's esophagus.

• Like 2

I watched the first few episodes of the new season of South Park. Woof. Good somebody else enjoyed it, because I thought it was terrible. 

I can't remember if I voted Narcos, but it's a great show. 

• Like 1

I always feel left out in these threads, and that's especially the case this year as the only shows on the list I've watched so far are Peep Show and South Park. I liked them both, so up yours.

Seriously, though, I always try to keep an eye on these lists for anything that might appeal to me, and I've failed every year so far to actually stick to any resolutions to try something out. It looks as though there will be a lot of superhero programmes to sift through this year, and they're probably not quite my thing, but I'm told that this was a good year for more grounded shows as well, so I'll be interested to read some people's takes on the rest of the entries on the list.

• Like 2