Let's remember Razorlight

METALMAN

You haven't forgotten, have you? RAZORLIGHT?

Here's their old website bio to jog your memory:

London’s most passionate and wired underground rock’n’roll band.

Formed in the summer of 2002 around 22 year old frontman/singer/writer Johnny Borrell, they existed for two months without a name, until one night at a Warholian squat party in a derelict factory in the East End, their singer found himself speaking in tongues. Improvising lyrics at the end of the set, Johnny was passed down words from the watchful muses above, and out of his mouth came the sound… rezorright… raisaaarite….razorlight. Now they had a name they could proceed to blow away every run of the mill garage rock band, with a set of serrated, transatlantic, poetic songs played with white knuckle intensity and delivered by a singer with total, natural charisma.

Night after long night they’d been holed up in a rat-plagued low-boho rehearsal studio on the East edge of town,
shaping the scribbled visions of urchin-savant Johnny into grooved, twitching, adrenalised guitar pieces and making occasional live foreys to support The Von Bondies or The Libertines. Finally they could play shows where the converts in the crowd could happily shout ‘You are the bollocks!’ without adding, in frustration ‘What’s your band called?’. A name is nothing and everything but in this case the razorlight in question might also be the clear, sharp light of exposure which lets you see if there’s spirit in what’s before you. razorlight have spirit like the Caspian Sea has oil.

There was never even a plan to form a band. The plan was to avoid forming a band, but then the songs that were taking shape in Johnny’s battered notebook – scribbled on bus rides, in bars, in the dead of night, while assaulted by the big city, by febrile girls, and by fake culture – dictated that a glimmering noise had to be arranged around the words. So it was that through the summer of 2002, Johnny sought out three young lovers of sinuous street noise – Carl Dalemo (bass), Bjorn Agren (guitar) and Christian Smith (drums). Agren bumped into Johnny at a Queens Of The Stone Age gig and his angular, driving guitar style proved to be the perfect foil for the singer. And Agren had a Swedish mate, Carl, who was already famous for being thrown out of venues around London and for being the quintessential Adonis of punk bass. With Johnny’s longstanding friend Christian on drums, they had a unit of perfectly complimentary dysfunction and uniquely interlocked musicality.

• Like 3

SHOW SOME RESPECT

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jun/10/johnny-borrell-national-treasure

[johnny] Borrell is better value than them all. This is the man who recently claimed one would be “more likely to find out what’s going on by walking down the street with a guitar” than by reading a newspaper. Who titled one of his solo compositions Pan-European Supermodel Song (Oh! Gina). Who, back in 2004, turned to me and said “Sometimes I just wanna get on a motorbike or in a car and just drive and drive and drive.” Do you ever do that? I asked. “No,” he replied, “I don’t have a licence.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellisnezer Scrooge said:

I don't normally feel ashamed of being an EWB'er but metalman's posts lately make me really wish I could be somewhere else.

God bless you.

• Like 1

I do, but I don't really use Twitter. I used to read the website and I thought it was fun but I've not looked at it for ages. I might catch up at some point.

Incidentally, I now see the Razorlight profile was on their Twitter. I stole it from the person who introduced me to that in the first place. I assume he stole the Razorlight thing from them. :/

I admired the metalman who provided sound dietary advice to people who were being greedy.

I stood behind the metalman who fought against corruption on EWB and believe he deserves his apology.

I laughed heartily at the metalman who broke down the reasons why Joe Flacco isn't all that great.

I even tolerated the metalman who enjoys the musical stylings of Cher Lloyd, and the wrestling antics of Triple H.

But Razorlight? Razorlight?

You've gone too far metalman.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Kaney said:

I admired the metalman who provided sound dietary advice to people who were being greedy.

I stood behind the metalman who fought against corruption on EWB and believe he deserves his apology.

I laughed heartily at the metalman who broke down the reasons why Joe Flacco isn't all that great.

I even tolerated the metalman who enjoys the musical stylings of Cher Lloyd, and the wrestling antics of Triple H.

But Razorlight? Razorlight?

You've gone too far metalman.

I'M NOT hic a SAYIN IT WAS aYOUR FAULT hic ALTHO YACOODADUNMORE

hic

YERSONAYEEEEEEEEV YESO