Covers

MDK

Some of you may be familiar with David Johansen, the lead singer of the New York Dolls. Some of you may not know that he had a good solo career after the Dolls, prior to becoming Buster Poindexter. One of the highlights was his "Animals Medley" where he combines the Animals We Gotta Get Out of This Place/Don't Bring Me Down/It's My Life and does a nice job with it. I really like his solo stuff, really quite good, my old man saw him live in the 70s and said it was the best show he's ever seen.

So a band I recently fell in love with by the name of 16 Horsepower does this really haunting cover of the CCR tune "Bad Moon Rising". They're a fucking great band honestly, if you like stuff with a Southern flair. Definitely not "country" but sort of scary hillbilly shit.

This one is an easy shout out. Blue Cheer covering Eddie Cochran's "Summertime Blues". It's hard to say they took the song and made it their own because Eddie's original is a classic, but fucking Blue Cheer kills it.

So, this is pretty well known, but a favorite of mine. You guys can have Frank Sinatra, he's timeless, but Sid Vicious covering "My Way" is just right to me.

• Like 1

Hey, he asked for Motown?  Well, ok this isn't REALLY Motown, but its close...ish...

And 60s pop!

Ya know, I'm trying to edit that to fix it, but clicking "save" does nothing when I'm done, so tough...its staying!

On 4/14/2016 at 08:02, GhostMachine said:

Some people consider that cover of "Summertime Blues" to be the first heavy metal song. 

Yeah, I would tend to agree with that. On another forum we talked about heavy metals origins and my contribution was Blue Cheer. Nothing wrong with citing Black Sabbath, or maybe even Jimi Hendrix, but Summertime Blues was just on another level when it was released. You could also argue In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly, but that song and Summertime Blues both came out in 68, so it's probably the two of them.

Anyway, more covers. This song is what really got me into the Dead Boys.

Unsane covering Flipper is fucking awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I fucking love Peter and the Test Tube Babies, god damn were they fucking kick ass.

I love this cover that they did...

If I'm not mistaken Hamster, I saw a poster for that festival you refer to and wanted to cry at how many of my old favorites were on the bill. But of course it's nowhere near me..

And here's one of the Melvins doing a great cover of the Germs.

• Like 1

Is posting Me First and The Gimme Gimmes to much of...well..a gimme?