Motorsport Manager

Meacon Keaton

I see they have kept the FM tradition of stupid questions from reporters.

Reporter: Your driver was upset that you let his tires go bald, what is up with that?
Me: He said it on the final lap, you want me to pit in then, yeah?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hugobomb said:

Started a new career as Predator with the following challenges:

1. No risky parts "cheat"

2.All Drivers and staff cannot be gotten rid of before the end of their contracts. (So that's THREE full seasons of William Evans)

1: That's stockpiling super risky parts at the end of the year, never using them, and getting 'safe' parts for the next season, right?

2: Bill Evans to win the WDC! (Won't ever happen, he's next level shitness).

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

1: That's stockpiling super risky parts at the end of the year, never using them, and getting 'safe' parts for the next season, right?

2: Bill Evans to win the WDC! (Won't ever happen, he's next level shitness).

1. Yeah that's the one. Have already maxed out this year's parts improvement, so saving the cash for the last 5 races and hoping to upgrade my factory and get a part centre (one of the three that doesn't need the factory finished first) at the end of season.

2. He's actually been not too bad so far in season 1. He has all the worse parts/new parts that I haven't quite got the reliability up high enough to give to Santa Ana. He's yet to not finish and only finished dead last of the finished runners once in the first 5 races.

9th in the championship at the halfway point. The staff are going to be the more irritating ones I can't get shot of. All are here for at least three seasons, one of the mechanics is here for four, typically the worst of the two.

Season One is finished. Finished last in the standings thanks to ZRT overtaking me in the last race (thanks to both my drivers failing to finish, my level one factory crippled my chances of getting all my upgraded parts reliability up enough so I decided to chance not repairing my gearboxes on my last stop and it cost me).

Factory will be finished upgrading by the 2nd or 3rd race, so hopefully can get a brake centre done before the end of the season. Got screwed in the votes and Very High Merit Payments got approved, which means getting more component centres could be a challenge. Got shot of my test driver thanks to her contract expiring and got a cheaper one in her place with much better feedback. Though that's the only personal chance for this year, Ana's contract ends at the end of the season but will more than likely keep her.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MDK said:

Any tips to playing this? I've only got a few races left of the first season and I've done reasonably well, couple of top ten finishes and a few DNF's.

Don't be afraid to tank a season if you feel comfortable about the position you're in. If you've reached a certain cusp in the standings (For Predator it's basically anything that isn't last place), you just stop researching stuff for this year and start stockpiling cash for facility upgrades and new staff signings.

There's a cap on how much you can upgrade your parts every year, all depending on how good your facilities are. Once you've reached that cap, you close up shop for those parts and fully commit to just making them more reliable. The best parts will be automatically transferred to next year's car (with a slight drop in quality to ensure long-term game parity, iirc.)

If you're not a major team, most of what you're going to be doing early on is ensuring financial stability and future success. Focus on getting good results, but don't toss money at the problem expecting you're going to be getting short-term AND long-term success. Like in real life, most teams need at least a few years of study build-up before they can start competing.

Personally I've always been more of a 'Williams F1' strategy guy, build a car and any monkey will get results in it. Just invest in your factories so you can one day get a fast car, and just hire 30+ peaked monkeys on 1 year deals.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Don't be afraid to tank a season if you feel comfortable about the position you're in. If you've reached a certain cusp in the standings (For Predator it's basically anything that isn't last place), you just stop researching stuff for this year and start stockpiling cash for facility upgrades and new staff signings.

There's a cap on how much you can upgrade your parts every year, all depending on how good your facilities are. Once you've reached that cap, you close up shop for those parts and fully commit to just making them more reliable. The best parts will be automatically transferred to next year's car (with a slight drop in quality to ensure long-term game parity, iirc.)

If you're not a major team, most of what you're going to be doing early on is ensuring financial stability and future success. Focus on getting good results, but don't toss money at the problem expecting you're going to be getting short-term AND long-term success. Like in real life, most teams need at least a few years of study build-up before they can start competing.

Personally I've always been more of a 'Williams F1' strategy guy, build a car and any monkey will get results in it. Just invest in your factories so you can one day get a fast car, and just hire 30+ peaked monkeys on 1 year deals.

I started my own team because I hate myself. I'm bottom buy only by three points.

Cheers though, I shall use some of these tips for the next season.

Also for the first couple of races of the next season, focus on getting one car reliable. All your components will be in the 45% area but so will everyone else's. First two races you can score big points with one driver and by the third races you should have a few upgraded parts to dole out and get the second driver up to speed.

3/4 of the way through season two and I'm sitting 5th in the table with Predator. 3 points off last year's full season total, still have the worst car but only one component is the worst of everyone. Have my brake centre and after getting some funds from the chairmen (who, two races after he handed over the cash, loves me as much as he did before) am building a gearbox centre and waiting to see what I get in prize money thanks to High Merit payments before I decided if I'm upgrading my design centre to open up building the other component centres.

• Like 2

With early season reliability, focus on the engine and brakes, they take the most time to repair in-race and they have the most effect on your performance.

The tip about focusing on reliability early on is definitely a good one. It's also helpful if you can get used to handling wet weather strategies appropriately. Pitting at the right time while the AI cars dither around, or even not pitting because you know the weather will clear up shortly, is often good for sneaking a point or two.

My wet weather strategy is basically go onto Inters when the bar passes the t in 'Water' and onto Wets when it passes the a in 'Track'.

Season two is done. Finished 7th overall, having been 5th going into the last race. Santa Ana failed to finish for the second year in a row after crashing out and William Evans was in the worse car and we'll, he's William Evans.

Good news though! With High Merit payments, 7th pays virtually the same as 10th did under standard payments so I was able to upgrade my design centre and build a test track thanks to saving a load of money in the last 3 races. 

Better news! Turns out I was wrong when I said I had three full years of Evans. His contract ended this year and it's Santa Ana who has another year to run. So bye bye Evans and hello Boa Tang and your lovely pay driver money!

Wonderful news! Thanks to Santa Ana's mechanic having the skill Nurse, she won the first race of the new season with the worst car! (Though again , only one component is worst of everyone)

• Like 1