XBOX One or PS4?

VerbalPuke

Which one should I buy?

My PS3 has been a sturdy console for awhile now, but I've been having controller issues and honestly kind of just want an upgrade. The PS3 has mostly become a vehicle for me playing old PS1 games, which is fantastic but I am interested in some newer stuff.

So I figured I'd ask you guys because you're not a bunch of weird video game fanboys that will give me the real deal low down talk ya know.

From my own observation...X-Box One is cheaper. That is a big selling point. PS3 doesn't have battery powered controllers. There doesn't seem to be any PS4 exclusives that sway me their way, as I'm mostly interested in Fallout 4, Mad Max, Metal Gear, maybe wrestling games and future Elder Scrolls games which are always both consoles. No Man's Sky looks fun but I can live without. So I think I am leaning more toward X-Box simply because it's cheaper and has the games I want.

How are online capabilities? I don't play online, but I do like to download free stuff like created wrestlers or updates. I assume both are Netflix/WWE Network/Amazon Prime capable?

What do you guys say?

Are you a baseball fan? I mean I'm always a Sony man but my friend loves X-Box One and bought one really cheap just after they came out but he says he wished he would have paid more for a PS4 just for MLB: The Show. So I figure if you're not a baseball fans and there are no exclusives that jump out at you then go for the cheaper option.

I had both and never touched my XB1.  PS4 has user-replacable HDDs, just buy a laptop drive and slide it in, copy the firmware onto a thumb drive and your good.  PS4 will also likely be getting a price drop soon, since the PS4 slim and PS4 Neo are being released in the near future

I think the big reason I preferred my PS3 to my X-Box was that my PS3 was wireless compared to my X-Box with needed an ethernet cable to be online. Oh, and I like the X-Box controller but was sort of annoyed that it was battery powered. On the other hand, I do like that X-Box sells wired controllers in case you start to run into issues with charging the controllers (which for some reason I do often....). But I did love my X-Box the first two years I had it, it blew my mind and I put a lot of hours into it.

I'm not a big baseball game fan. The last baseball game I had, this is no lie, was RBI Baseball 4 for the Sega Genesis. As for sports games, most I've done in the last ten years is Fight Night and Fifa soccer. Oh and WWE games, but those are for both.

And Lint...I have no idea what you mean by " PS4 has user-replacable HDDs, just buy a laptop drive and slide it in, copy the firmware onto a thumb drive and your good.  " However, perhaps I will wait a bit and see if the PS4 drops in price since I've always been more of a Sony guy since the first Playstation.

I've been looking into getting an Xbox One S, with the 500gb version coming out here soon. Completely baffles me that they still require batteries/a battery pack. 

If you do side with Xbox, I'd get the slightly more expensive S, which is the slim model. It's much lighter, has a redesigned controller and they've done away with the power pack which connects to the console/mains, finally. 

My best bud bought an XBone around a month after I got my PS4, about two and a half years ago. I've had no issues with mine. He's had to send his in for replacement twice. Which is why I'll never get one, because I went through four 360's. Other than that, I can't help you, because I know nothing about the One.

9 minutes ago, VerbalRick said:

I think the big reason I preferred my PS3 to my X-Box was that my PS3 was wireless compared to my X-Box with needed an ethernet cable to be online. Oh, and I like the X-Box controller but was sort of annoyed that it was battery powered. On the other hand, I do like that X-Box sells wired controllers in case you start to run into issues with charging the controllers (which for some reason I do often....). But I did love my X-Box the first two years I had it, it blew my mind and I put a lot of hours into it.

I'm not a big baseball game fan. The last baseball game I had, this is no lie, was RBI Baseball 4 for the Sega Genesis. As for sports games, most I've done in the last ten years is Fight Night and Fifa soccer. Oh and WWE games, but those are for both.

And Lint...I have no idea what you mean by " PS4 has user-replacable HDDs, just buy a laptop drive and slide it in, copy the firmware onto a thumb drive and your good.  " However, perhaps I will wait a bit and see if the PS4 drops in price since I've always been more of a Sony guy since the first Playstation.

You can swap out the hard drive on the PS4, as opposed to the XB1 which the hard drive is hard wired into the system.  A 500GB hard drive starts to run out of space quickly if you download a lot of games, movies etc.  I believe the system files alone on PS4 take up roughly 200GB of hard drive space right off the bat. 

You just take the cover off (its designed to come off, no wonky hacks), remove the hard drive caddy, unscrew the old one, screw in the new one and thats it.  Just download the firmware from playstation.com, put it onto a USB stick, plug it into the PS4 and turn it on.  It formats the hard drive and installs the system files

As for wired controllers, all you need on the PS4 is a standard USB cable to make the PS4 controllers wired

As far as some other concerns, I don't need an ethernet cable to get my xb1 online, wireless works perfectly fine and there's cheap enough plug and play kits to get rid of the battery issue on your control pads. Just charge up with the USB cable every once in a while and you're good.

I've not had a ps4 to compare really, but xbox online is pretty damn good. I've almost never had issues with the network, and there's always deals and bargains on the marketplace. There are loads of different video platforms like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon video, Now tv, xboxs own video service etc. I'd be surprised if there weren't equivalent on ps4 as well though tbh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Executive Kaney said:

As far as some other concerns, I don't need an ethernet cable to get my xb1 online, wireless works perfectly fine and there's cheap enough plug and play kits to get rid of the battery issue on your control pads. Just charge up with the USB cable every once in a while and you're good.

I've not had a ps4 to compare really, but xbox online is pretty damn good. I've almost never had issues with the network, and there's always deals and bargains on the marketplace. There are loads of different video platforms like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon video, Now tv, xboxs own video service etc. I'd be surprised if there weren't equivalent on ps4 as well though tbh.

TBH, at this point in time its going to come down to exclusives.  While there used to be a slight difference in graphics (XB1 was locked to 900p, while PS4 was 1080p), I don't know if thats still the case.  So it will come down to what games are exclusive to which consoles, which consoles get certain DLC first etc.  PS4 also has Netflix, Amazon, YT, WWE Network, Spotify, as well as PS4 video, which is the buy/rental service. 

But honestly, the consoles are almost identical from a hardware standpoint.  It really does come down to the console exclusives, plus whatever their respective online service is offering as their free monthly download

XBO is cheaper and seems to get better monthly "free" (IE: part of online subscription) titles, but PS4 has better (and more) exclusives.

What others have said, really. There's no huge difference at this point, especially since many exclusives wind up just being timed, or will be on PC too. The biggest selling point is perhaps if you want to play online - who do you enjoy playing with that has each console?

I don't get what the big deal with the Xbox pad needing batteries is. I use a play and charge kit, and my Xbox pad last way longer, my PS4 pad almost constantly needs to be plugged in. Plus, with the official play and charge kit at least, the pad works as a wired one when plugged in (wireless radios switch off and button input is sent through the cable). I find the Xbox pad has some actual weight behind it, the PS4 one feels like a plastic toy to me. And they never bloody do anything with that touchpad.

Xbox Live is still a far superior service and doesn't go down for maintenance all the time.

It's obviously personal preference, but I much prefer the Xbox dashboard interface and store, PSN is much slower to load for me. And while you can't switch out internal hard drives with the Xbox, you can use external hard drives, and if you use one with USB 3.0, it'll actually read and write to it faster than the internal drive.

I know some games run at higher res on PS4 than XB1, but honestly, unless they're side by side and you're specifically looking for detail (instead of, y'know, playing the game), most people aren't going to notice the difference.

I use my PS4 for exclusives (Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted, MLB etc.), but my everyday gaming is done on Xbox. Oh, and I have a Chromecast plugged in to my Xbox too.