2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

All this talk about us maybe getting Gerrit Cole from Pittsburgh. Man, if that happens...I didn't think I could get any more giddy, but my laws my laws *fans self while taking a sip of ice tea*

On 08/12/2017 at 13:35, Kevin "McD"allister said:

Image result for michael scott no gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just looked up the stats, and Jack Morris will be the 76th pitcher inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Of those HoFers, Morris has the worst .ERA, and only 11 of those pitchers have an .ERA over 3.50. The next worst pitcher as far as .ERA is concerned is Red Ruffing, with an .ERA of 3.80 to Morris' 3.90. Ruffing played 4 years longer than Morris, but gave up around 140 less home runs. Morris has a LOT more strikeouts, though.

It's hard for me to justify Morris going in. I thought he was overrated back when he was active, and if he had played in any other era, he'd probably be viewed as a joke. In my view, he's likely getting in because he's a 4x World Series champion and led the MLB in wins twice. If that's why, then I can easily make a case for Orel Hershiser going in. He won a Cy Young Award, which Morris never did, and pitching 59 consecutive scoreless innings is easily more impressive than anything Morris did. (Morris did pitch a no-hitter, but pitching 59 scoreless innings in a row has to be a hell of a lot harder to pull off.)

That said, if Omar Vizquel gets in, the next induction ceremony will be a joke. If anything, Vizquel is a bubble player, NOT a first year induction.

It's not often that I agree with GhostMachine, but I 100% agree on Orel Hershiser being more deserving of Jack Morris. Jack Morris is the product of just playing a long time. Being slightly above average for a long career should not equal a Hall of Fame career. And I don't necessarily believer Hershiser should get in. But if Morris is in, then there's no argument for him not to get in now. 

It's sad to look at the Marlins. They had good players throughout the line-up, but a below-average rotation. With a good owner, you'd think they'd be going in the opposite direction and looking to bolster that rotation in an effort to challenge to Nationals.

They need to trade everyone that has any value. They have lost all hope from the fans. Keeping Christian Yelich isn't going to bring any fans to the ballpark. Sell everything, rebuild and hopefully in a few years they can contend.

Honestly, the Jeter group overpaid for the team. Their ability to manage the payroll of the team should have been a factor in their takeover of the team.