2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

I wish this Machado stuff would end. Some idiot suggested we should trade Russell and Montgomery for him. That's idiotic. We have Russell for 4 years for about the same price as Machado will make for the only year left on his contract and he isn't even a huge step up from Russell. I mean he is a step up I'm not delusional but this is just getting dumb

6 hours ago, Meacon said:

Yeah I've heard several Addison Russell + insert names here for Machado rumors/suggestions over the last week. Baltimore should just hold on to him until July when teams are desperate. 

The peak window already passed this winter, teams have begun making their signings giving us less leverage. We'll let him walk for nothing as a result of being 5 games out of 1st on July 31st despite the 2nd worst ERA in the AL. Calling it now.

What's killed the O's is not allowing a 72 hour negotiating window for an extension.  From Machado's standpoint, he'd easily be the best free agent on the market this year even coming off of a down season by his standards.  He'd have no problem making $150 million.  Next season?  He'll probably still be able to cash in but it'll be a completely bonkers class and if he has another year like this one it could adversely effect his earning potential.

It could actually make sense for Machado to cash in now.  And teams would have no problem putting together a premiere package of prospects if they know they're getting him for more than one year.

That too. Machado's down year was strange because after the ASG he put up typical Machado numbers. Defensively he had a noticeable drop-off though. It's probably just a one-year thing, and next year he's back to .275 and 35 HRs with a 2.0 dWAR. He's such an interesting case, 2 knee injuries before his 23rd birthday, but one of the most talented all-around infielders in the game. Most people think around here think had he not hurt his knee in 2014 the Orioles would have gotten an extension done. But no way either side wanted to commit to something long-term after that. Machado would potentially be costing himself $100 million and the Orioles could have tied up that much in a player with 2 bad knees.

But, yeah, Orioles need to get something in return for him. They are so bad at this. It's gonna be a very long rebuild.

6 hours ago, Busch E said:

Christian Yelich and J.T. Realmuto have requested trades from the Marlins.  Either guy will get a haul.  But if they trade both they're essentially going full Astros where they're locks to lose 100 games for the next three or four years.

You'd think they'd get a haul but I actually think they need to wait a bit before trading either one. They've lost all leverage and now teams know those guys want a trade. They should swap them at the trade deadline. 

Angelos is afraid of attendance falling but it already fell when the fans of the team all realized we were never winning a World Series with the current core. Crime is skyrocketing in the city and there are a lot of people who don't want to be down there at night. And if the hyperloop construction actually goes begin next month games are gonna potentially become a nightmare to get to if you're taking 95 and it'll deter even more people from coming into the city. Keep or trade Machado and it'll have zero difference how many people come to games this year, since everyone with a functioning internet connection knows he's not gonna be there in 2019.

• Like 1

I really hate Keith Law.  He takes more potshots at the Mets than any national writer I can think of.  While there is usually no shortage of legitimate stuff to laugh at the Mets about - he often hones in on really dumb shit.  His latest being that the Mets are "irresponsible" for even considering bringing in Adrian Gonzalez - going as far as to call it "as lolmets as it gets".

Yes.  Terrible idea to give a spring training invite to a 5x All Star who, if he makes the team, would play for nothing more than league minimum because the Braves would be paying his regular salary.  Better just hand the job the 23 year old Dom Smith who managed to put on a ton of weight during the season and hit .202 with terrible defense when he got called up.

I'm not saying Gonzo will be better than Smith in 2018.  I just fail to see any downside to giving him a look.  If it lights a fire under Smith, you roll with Smith and Gonzo doesn't make the Opening Day roster.  If Gonzo shows glimpses of his old self, you just got yourself a bargain.  Yes he had a bad, injury prone year in 2017.  But if Gonzo went back to his 2016 production he'd be, at worst, the third best hitter in the lineup behind Conforto and Cespedes.  Law is a hack.

• Like 1

I'm annoyed Longoria doesn't get to ride out his career as a Ray. He was the kind of guy you can actually keep around to be the face of the franchise long after he retires, helping to make Tampa Bay a viable market as the eventually move to a downtown Tampa stadium. Instead they trade him for an admittedly good prospect, but it still doesn't feel right. Both Florida teams are gonna be awful.