2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

Jays trade for Aledmys Diaz. I love the move. He had a rough 2017 but was an All Star in 2016. We got him pretty cheap, Woodman seems like a good prospect but is a few years away and a prospect. Diaz is a great upgrade from Ryan Goins, who was non-tendered.

Ohtani's agents have informed both the Red Sox and Yankees that they are out of consideration.

It sounds like he doesn't want to go to a heavy favorite, but rather a potentially decent team where he can be the guy who ends up bringing them over the hump.

Mariners may be the favorites as they've supposedly told Ohtani he'd be allowed to DH on days he's not pitching.

He clearly wants to hit on the days he's not pitching. I'd wager the compromise for him is be on an AL team, that way he doesn't get hurt in the field and he can realistically hit on the days he pitches while leaving the DH slot open for later in the game which is a real intriguing strategic advantage for a team.

It's hard for me to see him on an NL team due to the lack of a DH, teams aren't gonna leave a position open for him on days he isn't on the mound.

I think if there were no other factors involved Ohtani would pick San Diego. He's familiar with the organization, it's a good city, closer to Japan than most other ballparks, and they'll probably be accommodating of some requests to play the field and such. Also, the weather. I think we'd all pick San Diego if we could.

• Like 1

I have a feeling the experiment of Ohtani as a hitter won't last long.  He has legitimate pop, but he struck out over 40% of the time in a league that is widely viewed to be around Triple A level in terms of the level of competition compared to the Majors.

I'll guess within a year or two he'll concede that pitching is his meal ticket and focus on that full time.

• Like 1

That's one of those rare deals that very clearly worked out well for both teams. Seattle gets a good hitter with amazing speed to put at the top of the line-up and Miami just saved themselves about $40 million in their quest to cut all contracts that are more expensive than league minimum. 

The statement Gordon's agent put out is low key hilarious.  A full paragraph talking him up as one of the best second baseman in the major leagues and how it would be highly unusual for a player of his caliber to ever be asked to switch positions.  And that even though he has only four months to learn a new position, he will take the new challenge in stride and do whatever he can to help his new team.

They make it sound like he's being asked to play a new position and he's taking one for the team by doing so.  Except he wasn't being asked, he was being told that's what he's doing.

11 hours ago, Meacon said:

That's one of those rare deals that very clearly worked out well for both teams. Seattle gets a good hitter with amazing speed to put at the top of the line-up and Miami just saved themselves about $40 million in their quest to cut all contracts that are more expensive than league minimum. 

Seattle also got international money, presumably for Ohtani.

Apparently there is suspected foul play (hey yo baseball pun) regarding the Ohtani thing. I haven't had a chance to look into what exactly it is.

Also I got an alert saying that Giancarlo Stanton is now saying he'd waive his no trade clause to play for the Yankees. Now that's a Christmas present I'd be excited about. :D 

Yeah, even though it sounds like the Marlins have agreed upon trade proposals for the Giants and Cardinals, Stanton isn't thrilled about going to either of those places.  So he's told the front office that he only wants to go to one of this year's final four teams:  Astros, Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs.

People are comparing it to Kevin Durant but it's not even close.  Durant willingly left a team that was only a win away from the finals to go to the team that beat him.  Stanton doesn't want to leave, he's just been told in no uncertain terms that they can't afford to build a team around him.  So if they're going to move him, he may as well go to a team that can win a title fairly quickly.

Comparing the situations is apples and oranges with the sports they are, anyway.  Basketball is incredibly easy to predict and Durant leaving essentially ended the season 11 months early and was basically an easy pass for a ring.  Stanton could go to a team well positioned to win but even then the best teams in baseball can easily lose a best of five or best of seven series.

• Like 1