2017 MLB Thread

Meacon Keaton

31 minutes ago, Meacon said:

@Busch E At the winter meetings, Sandy Alderson was asked if he had even been in discussions with Miami for Giancarlo Stanton and he apparently said, "No, because we have Brandon Nimmo." :lol: 

I really can't stand Alderson.  I get that he was joking, but it's either a really tone deaf lack of awareness of how frustrated most Mets fans are, or, more likely, it's a deliberate attempt to poke the bear.  My money is on the latter given that later on in the winter meetings he had the nerve to say during a press conference that Mets fans should stop worrying about the payroll.  All while they managed to fail to land Bryan Shaw despite him wanting to play for Mickey Callaway, and losing both Pat Neshek and Tommy Hunter to the Phillies.

It's not even the first time he's done stuff like this.  He's openly referred to the fanbase as Panic City and seems to get some smug enjoyment out of the fans' misery.  I'm not saying that Mets fans aren't reactionary - I know I am.  But I don't like having my general manager basically openly mocking me for being passionate.  It doesn't make me say "haha, yeah we suck and totally deserve this", it makes me not want to support the team anymore.

On 12/12/2017 at 19:57, El TiPurple Rainmaker said:

I get the feeling life is gonna be a frustrating for Mets fans. 

Fixed that for you.

• Like 2

Phillies traded Freddy Galvis to San Diego, presumably to make room for JP Crawford.

Then they signed Carlos Santana to a 3-year $60 million deal. But I'm not sure where they intend to play him. You'd think Rhys Hoskins will be their opening day first baseman and Maikel Franco is their third basemen. @Lint or any other Phillie fan know what the gameplan is with Santana?

I mean he's had a bunch of hit songs and all,  but isn't he like 70?  How much of a baseball player can he be?

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

Phillies traded Freddy Galvis to San Diego, presumably to make room for JP Crawford.

Then they signed Carlos Santana to a 3-year $60 million deal. But I'm not sure where they intend to play him. You'd think Rhys Hoskins will be their opening day first baseman and Maikel Franco is their third basemen. @Lint or any other Phillie fan know what the gameplan is with Santana?

I'm confused, but I've heard they might use Hoskins in Left and maybe trade one of the young outfielders for a pitcher?

The Santana signing is weird since the Phillies don't really have a place to put him. I guess since they aren't intending to contend next year it's a decent idea to play around with Hoskins in the OF and see how it works out. That contract isn't easy to flip but if they need to they certainly can in 2019 and especially in 2020. I think their plan is probably eyeing up 2020 as their year to start competing and in that case Santana is one of those veteran signings that pay dividends for upstart teams.

12 hours ago, Meacon said:

Angels signed Zach Cozart to a three year deal. While he had an absolutely awesome year this year, I can't help but feel like he has nowhere to go but down. Still you can't fault the Angels of Los Angeles of Anaheim of California for trying.

When you have Mike Trout you can't just sit on your hands. They'll have on paper a great lineup next year. That's a tough division to win though, Houston will probably be just as good next year.

Braves get:
1B Adrian Gonzalez
LHP Scott Kazmir
RHP Brandon McCarthy
IF Charlie Culberson
Cash

Dodgers get:
OF Matt Kemp

What a weird trade.  It's like they tried their hardest to include as many old, broken down players in it as possible.  And the Braves instantly DFA'ed Gonzalez so they'll be paying him to not play for them this year.